Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2019, 12:15 AM   #6259

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkcollins View Post
We just returned from a trip to Wyoming camping and riding ATVs and my new Can Am Maverick Trail 1000. I’ve enclosed a couple of photos, but I have to inform the forum about how great our Outlaw did going over Teton Pas between Jackson Wy and Victor Idaho. It is a 10% grade up one side and down the other. Our old Outlaw took it in stride and I was hauling about 2500 lbs with the maverick in the garage and my wifes ATV on a trailer that we towed. There were some 20mph curves that we had to slow down for, but we were able to pull around 30mph in low gear and neither of the heat gauges moved a bit. That Ford v10 is one tough engine.
I totally agree with you on this engine! We were in Wyoming back in June. We traveled from home in Sonoma County Ca to Deadwood SD. We went out a few weeks before the madness of the Sturgis Bike Rally.

It sounds like we were on some of the same mountain passes. I think the highest we got up to was around 9000 feet. The Ford Triton V10 just kept on going. I can't say i'm so comfortable when it downshifts or revs up over 5000rpms, but it seems to handle it and it doesn't usually last too long....

This is my second long trip with the rig and I have been really pleased with both the engine and the overall Outlaw chassis and driving experience.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2019, 10:40 AM   #6260

Workhorse

I imagine the Workhorse chassis Outlaws perform just as well under stress. But of course they have not been available for a long time.

I did switch to Mobile 1 synthetic oil some time ago and have no way of knowing if it made a difference. I just figured with that engine reving so high that Synthetic would be a good idea.

I also installed the 5 star tune in mine and can't really say if it improved the performance or not. It does activate the 4th gear that is totally bypassed with the stock tune. I like having that gear and seat of the pants it did seem to pep things up a bit.

Just for information for Outlaw owners thinking about adding solar:

There are folks out there that say you need lots of solar and a big inverter. Here is my set up and the wife uses a CPAP every night with the 12v adapter cord that is optional. She also uses her sewing machine at times. I have a readily visable voltmeter and in three weeks of boondocking the meter has never shown below 12v. All we have is 200w of solar and a 750w inverter for when she is sewing or we are watching TV. If there is a long period with no solar gain we do occasionally run the gen set. We have 2 new this year golf cart 6v batteries is all. Just letting folks know that you can do pretty well boondocking without a lot of expense.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:48 PM   #6261
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I submit that the Workhorse Chassis is a bit different from the Ford/V10 in 2 ways.

Engine:
The GM 8.1L (496ci.in) V8 in the Workhorse is a push-rod engine. Anything over about 4500RPM is just more noise. Because of pure size, the 8.1L's strength is in low-end torque and mid-range HP.
The Ford 6.8L (414 cu.in) V10 is an overhead cam engine and makes big power at high RPM.

Transmission:
Until 2016.5 mid year updates, the Ford only had a 5 speed. The Workhorse had a 6 speed Allison transmission from the start and also had a low speed stall torque converter. These keep the big GM mill in a better RPM for power.
The newer Ford's have a 6 speed allowing better RPM control - was always important because the Ford was only 6.8L.

What is exciting is that this winter (12/2019-01/2020), the 6.8L will be replaced by an ALL NEW 7.3L (444 cu.in) V8 in all Ford SuperDuty and RV chassis. This engine is promised to have the perks of the 8.1 (strong low end torque and higher HP at speed).

Safe Outlaw Travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:33 PM   #6262

Gas cap w/ tether WH Outlaw

I've lost the gas cap on our Outlaw about 50 times over the years, and I always have trouble finding a replacement. The most common link on iRV2 for an Outlaw/W24 is not correct. This week I took the trouble to track down a current, easy to find replacement WITH A TETHER. Here's an Amazon link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope it helps someone.
Cheers
Mike
Old 08-13-2019, 10:31 PM   #6263
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmccallum View Post
I've lost the gas cap on our Outlaw about 50 times over the years, and I always have trouble finding a replacement. The most common link on iRV2 for an Outlaw/W24 is not correct. This week I took the trouble to track down a current, easy to find replacement WITH A TETHER. Here's an Amazon link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope it helps someone.
Cheers
Mike
Thanks...linked on page one of the Outlaw Mods and Fixes thread
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-15-2019, 11:58 AM   #6264

My wife and I are beginning our shopping journey for an Outlaw. One thing that would be REALLY helpful is a list of changes by model year (and half year?). I thought I found one at one point, but I can't find it again. Does such a thing exist?

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:36 PM   #6265
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
My wife and I are beginning our shopping journey for an Outlaw. One thing that would be REALLY helpful is a list of changes by model year (and half year?). I thought I found one at one point, but I can't find it again. Does such a thing exist?

ac

There is a list of Outlaw models and years made, chassis, and some other stuff here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/clas...ml#post1249924

Thread features lots of other Toy Haulers too.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-20-2019, 10:16 AM   #6266

Service help NorCal STK/Lodi/Sac

Hi Gang
Currently I have three issues with the Outlaw that I need fixed before a big trip in 2 1/2 weeks. Most Important is that our running lights/dashboard lights aren’t working. Other issues are dash AC needs recharged (I think), and one jack won’t fully extend, though it comes up (and i think I can solve this on my own).

Brannon Tire in Stockton won’t do anything on a Workhorse chassis any more. Just basics: tires, oil change, etc. They wouldn’t even look at the AC. Parts and hassle were the reason. They just ate a huge service because they couldn’t work things out on a recent WH repair.

So I need a place that can at least fix the running lights, in two weeks (which is like a day in RV shop time). Focker? Anyone? Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
Mike
Old 08-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #6267

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmccallum View Post
Hi Gang
Currently I have three issues with the Outlaw that I need fixed before a big trip in 2 1/2 weeks. Most Important is that our running lights/dashboard lights aren’t working. Other issues are dash AC needs recharged (I think), and one jack won’t fully extend, though it comes up (and i think I can solve this on my own).

Brannon Tire in Stockton won’t do anything on a Workhorse chassis any more. Just basics: tires, oil change, etc. They wouldn’t even look at the AC. Parts and hassle were the reason. They just ate a huge service because they couldn’t work things out on a recent WH repair.

So I need a place that can at least fix the running lights, in two weeks (which is like a day in RV shop time). Focker? Anyone? Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
Mike
I just had the AC compressor and a few related do-dads replaced by Polar Bear ( https://www.polarbear-air.com ) here in Sacramento about 3 months ago after getting tired of having to recharge the system every year and still not getting great performance any more.

For general Workhorse factory authorized (or ex-factory) repair center, Future Chevrolet on Madison Ave. is the place that did the recall a few months ago on our gas tank. They did a nice job and were done in less than 24 hours.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:37 AM   #6268

Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
I just had the AC compressor and a few related do-dads replaced by Polar Bear ( https://www.polarbear-air.com ) here in Sacramento about 3 months ago after getting tired of having to recharge the system every year and still not getting great performance any more.

For general Workhorse factory authorized (or ex-factory) repair center, Future Chevrolet on Madison Ave. is the place that did the recall a few months ago on our gas tank. They did a nice job and were done in less than 24 hours.
Thanks. What was the recall?

Mike
Old 08-20-2019, 10:56 AM   #6269

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two fill options on the Workhorse gas tank and an inferior part was used to cap of the one on the curb-side since it is not used. This cracks and leaks gas EVERYWHERE when it fails. The replacement including parts and labor was free.
For reference this is the Workhorse part number: W8006776 - Kit - Fuel Fill Cap

JeffAZ is the one that made the post about this or I would have never known!
Old 08-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #6270
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If anyone has a simple to read and easy to find link to Outlaw Chassis' Recalls (Ford, Workhorse, and FL), please post about it.

I will link it to page #1 of the Outlaw Mods and Fixes thread.

Thanks!
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-27-2019, 11:40 PM   #6271
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
TMC dropped the 2020 Outlaw overview video.

Showing views of the two current floor plans, the RB and the loft-less MB
The dash has a major upgrade plus the typical changes to fabrics and surfaces.

Opinions?

WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-28-2019, 08:34 AM   #6272

I like the gray walls and counter tops. I like the cooktop that is part gas and part electric.

Still waiting for a modernized 3808 floorplan

Tags
thor, damon, outlaw