Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2019, 08:45 AM   #6315

Front Day and Night shades

Ok, I told you I would have questions. The front power shades go up and down fine but the bar on the bottom of the shade falls off the side guide and then you need to stop and stuff things back in. It seems like a simple fix to just make the bottom bar a little longer by snapping on or gluing on an extension. Have any of you found something that is made for that. I have been searching online and can't find anything.
Nyrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2019, 08:51 AM   #6316

2017 37BG basement heat (off grid)

I have been all over the compartments installing stuff, never saw evidence of basement heat. Thor just sent me a heater schematic, which shows 4 outputs, none to the basement.

Last night the water almost froze at 30 and then did at 27 degrees, with the furnace on.

I want to believe, until I then I will leave a heat lamp running in the wet bay.

EDIT:
SPECIAL NOTES:
HEAT TO TANK COMPARTMENTS ARE
DUCTED THROUGH IN FLOOR PLENUMS

Wish it would show it though...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf THL0161-00.PDF (204.7 KB, 59 views)
Old 10-07-2019, 09:40 AM   #6317
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVroadblock View Post
I have been all over the compartments installing stuff, never saw evidence of basement heat. Thor just sent me a heater schematic, which shows 4 outputs, none to the basement.

Last night the water almost froze at 30 and then did at 27 degrees, with the furnace on.

I want to believe, until I then I will leave a heat lamp running in the wet bay.

EDIT:
SPECIAL NOTES:
HEAT TO TANK COMPARTMENTS ARE
DUCTED THROUGH IN FLOOR PLENUMS

Wish it would show it though...

That's a cool diagram. Never got anything like that in the old days...Customer Service is improving.

The Outlaw Basement Heat is in the form of a duct in the wet bay with a register that is smaller than the registers in the living room. The duct brings furnace air to the wet bay (dump station, piping, and the bin end of the tanks at the bay).
Look for a round vent/register in the bin where the dump station is. And check the duct feed line for any kinks restricting air flow.

Two things to watch:
*Do not allow anything to block the register in any way. If the register is blocked in any way, the warm air will simply go to the other registers around the coach.
*Temperature setting is paramount. We have camped at temps to below 15 degrees with no freeze - but the furnace was set at 68. The furnace will warm all the air in all registers to the pre-set. If you turn the furnace too cool, the small amount of air going to the wet bay will not keep up with the cold.

Some cold weather folk have placed a remote thermometer in the wet bay to monitor the situation.
And if you like to drop the furnace temp at night (to save propane?), keeping the heat lamp in the wet bay is smart - use the campground's juice.
But obviously, electric heat is a no-go for boondocking.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:24 AM   #6318
Dry

Damon Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I took the RV from Sacramento to Colorado, via I-80.
So many construction spots where your white knuckling a tiny roadway

The roads in Wyoming were so bad I thought the rig was gonna self destruct!

Pleasantly surprised the new 65 inch TV survived!
The very next day, It snowed!

I am so done with the heat of Cali

That trip has reinforced my Love for this Outlaw!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ColoradoSnow.png
Views:	60
Size:	555.4 KB
ID:	263239  
Old 10-11-2019, 09:40 AM   #6319

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry View Post

I am so done with the heat of Cali
I am too, luckily it must have followed you right out of the state, perfect weather here now
Old 10-11-2019, 09:41 AM   #6320

Auto Gen Start

Hey all I am looking for an Auto Gen Start. We plan on boondocking with Cats and need to keep it cool enough. I have seen the Xantrex, my understanding is it only works with if you are using a Xantrex inverter. The Magnum in which the stand alone gets mixed reviews and the other requires a Magnum inverter. and the Onan EC-30 which I have read is difficult to install.

Have any of you installed an AGS? Any suggestions?
Old 10-11-2019, 11:06 AM   #6321
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrken View Post
Hey all I am looking for an Auto Gen Start. We plan on boondocking with Cats and need to keep it cool enough. I have seen the Xantrex, my understanding is it only works with if you are using a Xantrex inverter. The Magnum in which the stand alone gets mixed reviews and the other requires a Magnum inverter. and the Onan EC-30 which I have read is difficult to install.

The inverter will not have any function on an Auto-Gen Starter.

Look at what fits your generator...Onan QG5500 is the typical set.
They can be set to monitor battery voltage (basic) and temperature (better).

Since there are THOUSANDS of RV's with this genset, you might want to post this question (make it different/no dupes allowed) in the RV Systems or Motorhome GD Forum.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 10-12-2019, 06:57 AM   #6322

We have Magnum

Quote:

We have a 1999 Damon Escaper with a Magum installed for a 7.5 Onan, it monitors everything you can think of and set it for quiet time etc. It can be set to start according to voltage, time, etc. and run for predetermined amount of time.
NewEscaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #6323

Quote:
We picked up our new to us 2014 37LS on Saturday and drove it home 600 miles. . . .

The car fits great in the back, and it handles a little better with the weight in it. as I though it would be and there is plenty of room to get out and even squeeze through in front. Not quite sure how to insert a pic so hopefully this worked.
Good to see another 2nd gen Smart 4-2 out there. They were only sold for a couple years in North America before Daimler pulled them out, so I think I have seen only one other out on the roads.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:18 PM   #6324
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEscaper View Post
We have a 1999 Damon Escaper with a Magum installed for a 7.5 Onan, it monitors everything you can think of and set it for quiet time etc. It can be set to start according to voltage, time, etc. and run for predetermined amount of time.
The Outlaw has a Xantrex brand inverter, so no AGS.

Of course an owner could rebuild the system to change the inverter...but it must have plug and play for the Onan QG5500 or it's a waste.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-06-2019, 09:39 AM   #6325

Fresh Water Tank Vent

The other day I over filled the fresh water tank and the water was pouring out the over flows. When I shut the water off it kept running out the overflows until it started to collapse the tank, and I pulled the front overflow line up above the water level to provide a vent. I assume there is a vent in the tank and it is plugged. Can anyone point out where the vent is so I can open it up again?

Thanks
Old 11-06-2019, 04:11 PM   #6326
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
The other day I over filled the fresh water tank and the water was pouring out the over flows. When I shut the water off it kept running out the overflows until it started to collapse the tank, and I pulled the front overflow line up above the water level to provide a vent. I assume there is a vent in the tank and it is plugged. Can anyone point out where the vent is so I can open it up again?

Thanks
You've got a GenII Outlaw with your LS, so I got nuthin'.

The Legacy models have a fill that requires the overflow to lift any water about a foot...so little or no risk of siphon.

Your overflow vent must have set-up a kinetic siphon for it to collapse the tank. That would seem to confirm there's no other vent in the tank.

Next time, why not put a finger over the overflow to stop it from running, then after a 5-10 count, remove your finger and see what happens?

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-08-2019, 04:04 AM   #6327

Over flow vent

Tried plugging the overflows with my fingers first but since the outlet for them is about 8" below the bottom of the tank that did not work. I was hoping there was a vent that was just plugged or something. I will add a vent into one of the overflow lines so this doesn't happen again.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:18 PM   #6328
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The overflow outlet is below the bottom of the tank?
Yeah, that's a problem.

Instead of adding a new vent...you could add hose to the existing vent and loop it up high to create an air break.
Or, double check the line for existing hose that has drooped, allowing the siphon.

You just don't want a vent that can leak water inside the coach.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV

Tags
thor, damon, outlaw