Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2012, 03:52 AM   #71

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the post! I've heard that parts of Oregon are lush and beautiful and the rain they get is why.

I found, or rather, my guests have found, that same issue with the heat back there. Adding a space heater seems like a quick enough fix for times like that. I like the twin bed idea. Better then opening and inflating the couch for them each night. We're taking a small trip with another couple in a few weeks but we do have the electric lift bed.

Overall it sounds like you had a good trip and a good chance to shake out your outlaw (and check for leaks). Your gas mileage sounds really good since mine averaged less that that over a 2800 mile trip.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #72

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Hey all;

We learned that in our 3611, the heat duct in the garage is only an anti-freeze feed, like in the belly bins, so the heater was a needed addition. I wonder if the 3612's have a better furnace vent in the garage(?).
No, the 3612 has the same problem with heat. I also obtained a space heater and use that during cold spells. During the heat of summer, I place a small fan in the hallway to force a little more a/c back there as well.

But, it's a toy area, so I wasn't surprised that I had to do that. Regardless, I still love my Outlaw!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #73

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicap View Post
Will do. I paid $4.15 in the FL panhandle and $3.85 in Muskogee, OK for diesel. California will be awful...probably close to $5.00. My little car takes premium so I paid $4.03 in FL, filled her up with $3.47 gas in OK, and don't plan to need any fuel for her til I get to my summer digs east of Fairbanks...$4.25??? Oh well, it's only money!
Watch out for storms up there, and thanks for the update. Ya just had to add that "I filled up with $3.47" didn't ya? Yeah yeah, rub it in!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #74

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami View Post
I also obtained a space heater and use that during cold spells.
I thought you had gone numb by now?
Old 04-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So, a question for 3611/3612 owners (I don't know anything about the 3808)...

While using the furnace, does your bath get stupid hot?

On day 3 of our trip to OR, I had to make a stop at CampingWorld for a new register that had a flapper door. The new register was plastic too, so it won't rust from any moisture on the bathroom floor.

I left the register open to the smallest detent and it worked perfect to balance the temp inside and outside the bath with the door closed most all the time.

The duct isn't deep enough to allow the flapper to fully open 90', but with the flow coming from the side, that is not needed

The only downside was that before the swap, the warm air would blow up your backside while using the throne...but it's still easy to open the register when needed...maybe TMI(?)
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:40 AM   #76

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's a good idea. I wonder if you replaced them all if you could throttle them at night making the duct in the garage more effective?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #77

Damon Owners Club
I'm going to (once again) show my ignorance here. . .I've never seen a vent, nor had heat in the toy area. The only vent I have is a small a/c vent just to the lower left (coming into the toy area from the living area) on the wall about 18" off the floor. If I occupy that area in the winter, I use the space heater and leave the door open. Am I missing the heater vent somewhere?

As for the bath, yup! It do git warm in there. I too swapped out the register to regulate the flow.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:24 AM   #78

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
That port in my garage carries heat (very little). I have 2 AC ducts in the ceiling near the ramp by the speakers and the cabinets.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:30 AM   #79

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
That port in my garage carries heat (very little). I have 2 AC ducts in the ceiling near the ramp by the speakers and the cabinets.
Darn! Didn't I say I would show my a**? I completely forgot about the 2 ceiling vents.

My bad.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #80
gts

Hi GTS here i read some were that someone added a twin bed for the in-laws i installed two 76 inch folding beds in the garage. I got them from Newhouse RV look the up on youtube The coach has backing in the walls 9 inches high from floor and the length of the wall so I had to add a piece of alluminum on the walls for support but they work real nice they double as a bed/couch. Im taking off the 1-3/8 front sway bar and adding the roadmaster 1-3/4 bar it should really clean up the sway the rear works in conjuction with the original bar, that alone made it so much better. Ill let you know how the front one works
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question Inverter Install/Upgrade

So, Another question for you experts:

Do you have an Inverter? Did your rig come with it or did you add it?

I have read that until recently, the Outlaw did not come with an Inverter. I can see the mfgt's thought "There's a big 'ol genset for when you're not at the RV park" But my crew likes to have all their gadgets plugged-in while on the road and what if you're boondocking and don't want to run the gennie?

What say you?
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #82

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 08 came with one. It has enough power for most low wattage gadgets, the furnace fan,and the TV. The microwave, air conditioner, and coffee maker need either shore power or the generator.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
My 08 came with one. It has enough power for most low wattage gadgets, the furnace fan,and the TV. The microwave, air conditioner, and coffee maker need either shore power or the generator.

Your furnace fan is 120VAC? I thought they were all 12VDC.
And, you bought your Outlaw new, so the inverter is a factory install - yes. Does it have an automatic shift switch when you plug-in to shore power or do you have to push some button to shift?

I had to add the inverter to my '07, and it is totally manual. I left it plugged in and running once at an RV Park...when I plugged-in to the shore power, the GFCI in the bathroom popped It was OK after I just turned off the inverter, but I didn't think that would happen
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #84

My 2010 came with a 7 amp inverter. The factory wiring has it hooked up to run the "entertainment" package...TV's, furnace, etc.. When boondocking (or Wal-Marting in my case) I can watch TV with the inverter/converter for about 4 hours before my battery indicator drops below 12v.

The plug in the footwell of the passenger seat is also activated with the converter is turned on. I made the mistake of plugging in an appliance that drew more than 7 amps and had to find and push the inverter's reset button. I won't do that again!

My microwave, wall plugs etc. need the generator or shore power.

When I'm traveling I turn the convertor on and use the footwell plug to listen to my Sirius, charge phone, Nook, and computer battery, etc. I think it will be able to handle a slow-cooker while going down the road too but haven't tried it yet.

There are no buttons to press to switch from shore power to inverter/converter.
Vicap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor, damon, outlaw