Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2018, 01:18 PM   #6105
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
I know how much you people love my photos, so I'll try to post some from my trip in the next few days
Your photos are great - yes. More please

Sorry about the awning and doorlock. TriMark should be subject to to recall IMHO.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2018, 07:32 AM   #6106

I love my Outlaw reason #238 - it's a 13' moving van

We just cleared out our temporary storage area (we thought we would buy another house once this one sold, saved a bunch of stuff, but changed our minds). The 37BG turns out to be a pretty good moving van, equipped with fridge and kitchen no less lol. Our neighbors must be pretty confused, watching us tote boxes in and out of the garage.

Downsizing really forces one to deal with the past. Stuff that belonged to my parents, stuff the grandkids played with. Accepting all we have is today, moving on to the next adventure.

I am glad we bought the rv and sold the house, and my wife retired early. No one is garanteed tomorrow - if you can afford it, retire while you can still enjoy it.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:17 AM   #6107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Is the main fuel tank well above 1/4 full?

Did you check/replace air filter and check intake and cooling air pathway for debris?

Vapor lock in the fuel line - upstream/before the pump can cause issues too. Check for heat near the lines.

Best luck
Still issues with RV QG 5500

Serviced/Replaced Thusfar:
Fuel Pump
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Oil with 20w50 mobile 1 full synthetic
Oil filter

Does not look like mine has the second fuel filter? MY2016 Outlaw?

Runtime log:

Failed while stopped. 110f plus temps in Las Vegas, would generally run for about 2-3 hours then fail. Generator was quite hot to the touch after failing.

Failed while driving. 110f late afternoon. Failed after about 2 hours. Altitude 2000-4500ft. After dark when temps dropped to high 90s, generator ran fine while still driving as we headed down from about 2000ft to sea level.

Generstor Ran successfully with no problems for two full days of driving at or near sea level with outside temps as high as 100f.

Generator Ran successfully at sea level during daytime for three days, probably 12h plus per day withoutside temps peaking in the 105f plus range.

Failed while driving. Heading up from Sea Level, temps in mid 90s driving up I-80 to the Lost Sierra. Generator failed several times, which was surprising because it had ran fine at higher outside temps, but at lower elevation. This was alot of 30-40mph driving in low gears up steep grades.

Patterns (tentative):
1. Fails after running at high temps (110f plus).

2. Seems to fail more while driving.

3. Seems to fail at altitude or at least while driving slow (and hot?) up into higher altitudes.

What to try next?

1. This Outlaw may have set on a lot for a long time. Wondering if I have varnishing in carburetor? Would it be worth replacing the carb at this poi t?

2. Is it possible that I have a faulty cooling system? I have no idea how to check this out?

This is causing major issues as I'm traveling with small kids and the chassis AC is not sufficient to keep them cool.
jpzeroday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:46 PM   #6108

Sorry to hear of your generator problems, jzp. I was in southern Nevada last week and mine was doing the same. I think the new fuel filter fixed mine. Mine has a small dial to adjust the carb setting for altitude. It sounds like yours ran well at sea level, but not as you ascended, have you adjusted that? I have seen a Youtube video about cleaning the carburetor, maybe try that before replacement?

RVroadblock: I too have used the OTL for moving, and it works great for that. Especially with the ramp and a hand truck.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:12 PM   #6109

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpzeroday View Post

What to try next?

1. This Outlaw may have set on a lot for a long time. Wondering if I have varnishing in carburetor? Would it be worth replacing the carb at this poi t?

This is causing major issues as I'm traveling with small kids and the chassis AC is not sufficient to keep them cool.
Back when I was buying gokarts for my grandkids and fixing them, a new carb was a great fix, 20$ , but doubt that cheap for Onan. BUT, that fixed a starting problem, not running problem. On a boat motor I ran a can of Seafoam through it, finally started and ran, may clean up the carb. It sounds to me more like a fuel issue, could there be a flake of crud in the tank occasionally blocking the fuel? Or bad fuel line?

For more air to the back while driving, I've put a fan behind the doghouse, using the plug by the passenger seat, powered by the inverter. Does an OK job of moving cool air to the back without running the generator.
Shadowrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:02 AM   #6110

Found this on another thread on IRV2 by Leadman, problem of running 2 ac's in hot weather and generator shutting down, thought it was a possible solution.

I did have a similar problem to the OP just after we bought the coach. We were boondocking at Bartlett Lake north of Phoenix and it got almost 100 degrees so I started the 5K Onan Emerald and both a/c units. Ran good for about an hour then started surging a little and sputtering, then finally stopped running. I let it cool down and after about an hour it did the same thing.
What I found was that the valves lash was too tight and it would tighten up even more when running in hot weather. I had pulled the generator out so stripped the covers off, removed the heads and also found quite a bit of carbon on them even though I had done the de-carbon procedure with Seafoam. The valves also had quite a bit of carbon on them.

I decided to pull the engine apart and inspect it as I had no idea if it ever had any maintenance. I tightened up the rod clearance on the crank some, cleaned the pistons and rings, cleaned the ports and valves and lapped them back in. Replaced the gaskets and seals. Set the valves. Changed to 20w-50 oil. Doing this also allowed me to really clean the outside of the engine so there would be better heat transfer to the air used to cool it. The air coming off the engine when running is normally around 140 degrees when outside temps are around 90 to 100 degrees.

I have run it for 4 or 5 hours in the high heat in Az. with no problems. I also noticed that if the oil level is right on full when cold it tends to be slightly overfull when run in very hot weather. I leave it about 1/4" or so from full when cold and have no issues. This was with the 10w-30 and 20w-50 oil.
Shadowrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:10 AM   #6111

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpzeroday View Post

Serviced/Replaced Thusfar:
Fuel Pump
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Oil with 20w50 mobile 1 full synthetic
Oil filter

Does not look like mine has the second fuel filter? MY2016 Outlaw?

Runtime log:

Failed while stopped. 110f plus temps in Las Vegas, would generally run for about 2-3 hours then fail. Generator was quite hot to the touch after failing.

Failed while driving. 110f late afternoon. Failed after about 2 hours. Altitude 2000-4500ft. After dark when temps dropped to high 90s, generator ran fine while still driving as we headed down from about 2000ft to sea level.

Generstor Ran successfully with no problems for two full days of driving at or near sea level with outside temps as high as 100f.

Generator Ran successfully at sea level during daytime for three days, probably 12h plus per day withoutside temps peaking in the 105f plus range.

Failed while driving. Heading up from Sea Level, temps in mid 90s driving up I-80 to the Lost Sierra. Generator failed several times, which was surprising because it had ran fine at higher outside temps, but at lower elevation. This was alot of 30-40mph driving in low gears up steep grades.

Patterns (tentative):
1. Fails after running at high temps (110f plus).

2. Seems to fail more while driving.

3. Seems to fail at altitude or at least while driving slow (and hot?) up into higher altitudes.

What to try next?

2. Is it possible that I have a faulty cooling system? I have no idea how to check this out?

Have had issue in hot weather with my 2016 Outlaw LS as well (2 years in a row). Code 36 again and again. Just returned from a 2 week trip to Utah/Arizona/Colorado and the gen died on day 3.

To know for certain if it's a pump issue, when it dies, open the drain screw in the carb bowl. If no gas comes out, the pump is failing, likely due to the heat. I had my pump relocated to the upper rail to the left of the generator, and ran the fuel line down and through the existing hole. The electrical will fit through the existing side hole, so all you need is a longer section of fuel line and some hose clamps. I added a piece of insulation between the gen and the pump to cut down on heat transfer as much as possible.

I'd like to tell you that it solved the problem, but I don't know for sure. After that fix, I was getting a code 27 and the gen wasn't sending any power inside the coach!! Turned out to be an unrelated worn wire that was shorting the system. Ugh!

I will say that the relocation of the fuel pump to an upper location has an added benefit: If it does overheat, I can put some ice or a wet towel over the pump to speed up the cool-down time, which should solve the problem temporarily. If I get time over the next couple days, I'll post a pic or two.
Noble6047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:28 AM   #6112

Click image for larger version

Name:	generator.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	214949
Here's where I relocated the fuel pump. Ran it all weekend. No issues so far.
Noble6047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:31 PM   #6113

As I had earlier threatened, here are some photos of my OTL out in its native environment from my recent 6500 mile, 8 week trip around the western USA. On my second day out (on my way from Phx to Nebraska) I stopped for the night because of some threatening clouds in the hamlet of Sublette, KS. I stayed in the dirt parking lot of a little truck stop. The clerk told me if it rained very much, I would get stuck for sure, so I kept a close eye on the rain. Luckily it was mostly just a bunch of lightening. Here is a bolt lighting up the grain elevator across the hiway.
[IMG]http[/IMG]

When I got to my mom's house in Nebraska, my sister was already there with her horse trailer, which also has living quarters for her (really just another type of toyhauler ). My mom lives on the edge of a small town on a dead-end street (notice the yellow sign). I call it the Dead-End Campground. I thought it was funny she had a Renegade and Outlaw parked in front of her house.

[IMG]http[/IMG]
Old 08-16-2018, 01:54 PM   #6114

From there I spent a few days in the Black Hills at Spokane Creek cg. They had a really wet spring, so everything was really green. I put a few hundred miles driving my Rzr all over that area. Here is a photo of my campsite there, a nice place. It is on the Iron Mtn. Road, which was built in the 1930s. The road was supposed to give visitors a leisurely, curvy and fun drive to Mt. Rushmore. This and modern motorist's sensibilities for speed make for a very challenging drive in a 38 foot motorhome. So when I left I found a nice dirt road to take instead. Much easier.
[IMG]http[/IMG]
Old 08-16-2018, 01:59 PM   #6115

Then I found my way to Wyoming. I stayed a couple nights in a nice primitive cg just off I-80 near Laramie. Here is my campsite at beautiful Vedauwoo:

[IMG]http[/IMG]

From there I went to Lake Viva Naughton in SW Wyo. I finally found a site over water like Don first showed for his original Don Deck. It was awesome because I almost had the whole lake to myself. Blow up the image and you can see my white OTL in the middle of this photo:
[IMG]http[/IMG]
[IMG]http[/IMG]
[IMG]http[/IMG]
Old 08-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #6116

Then it was on to SLC to visit a niece, too hot in Utah, so I made my way thru Idaho to Washington. I stopped and overnighted in a lot by the small city park in Riggins ID. It is right next to the Salmon River. Not bad for free

[IMG]http[/IMG]
Old 08-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #6117

On to Washington. I boondocked a few days in the Wenatchee NF in a snow play lot. Rain was threatening, so I deployed my rubber deck cover. I hope to use RV Driver's technique of water-proofing the deck soon, so I can dump the flooring.
[IMG]http[/IMG]

[IMG]http[/IMG]
Old 08-16-2018, 02:43 PM   #6118

After a cruise from Seattle with the DW, I was solo again. Here is my campsite in the NF near Mt. Rainier NP, The Dalles. Lots of old growth forest here:

[IMG]http[/IMG]

While at Mt. Rainier, I did something very cruel, but I could not help myself I sent this photo to friends in Arizona. In July.
[IMG]http[/IMG]

Tags
thor, damon, outlaw