RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2017, 05:50 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was lucky to have one of thor's electrical genius's wire my coach

I had a couple of 120v outlets that didn't work in the slide so I finally went looking for the problem this is what i found under dinette in elec box

I pulled on the black wire and it came out

I then started to remove the tape and found this

final tally 3 wires not hooked up why it never shorted out and killed the the breaker i guess i was lucky

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2017, 06:00 PM   #2

It was in a box . What more do you want?

I don't believe that 2 wires through one grommet is up to code either.
At least not in a S&Bs.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:03 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Look on the bright side, at least he/she wasn't color blind ��

40' 2000 Monaco Windsor, ISC350 Cummings w/Allison 3000 6 speed and Jeep Cherokee toad. We're all old but, we keep on trucking!
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsallach View Post
Look on the bright side, at least he/she wasn't color blind ��
And the OP didn't pay a RV Service Center $100 an hour labor rate and four weeks of the coach sitting in their yard.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:04 AM   #5

Power Drop

I have a new Thor Aria 3601. There is one circuit in the coach that only has the electric water heater and the electric fireplace on a 15 amp breaker. Each has a potential power draw of 11.7 amp.
The fireplace will run for awhile and when the electric water heater kicks in the fireplace shuts off. It does not trip the 15 amp breaker. The fireplace will not restart for some amount on time and then will restart.
It seems that each is wired directly back to the circuit box and I cannot find an intermediate junction box to look for a loose wire connection.
I think what is happening is that the breaker is undersized and when the Water Heater draws power there is a low power sensor on the fireplace that shuts it down.
Any ideas from you experience?
Polishilldav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:07 AM   #6

Are there even building codes for RV's?

I suppose if there were there would also be inspections and the prices would be higher.
1320Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320Fastback View Post

I suppose if there were there would also be inspections and the prices would be higher.
In our state, there needs to be a sticker from this guys on it or it can't be sold.

The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: Standards
Old 06-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320Fastback View Post

RVIA is supposed to set the "codes" for construction for the RV industry, but some manufacturers choose not to subscribe or the workers just don't care!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
As the old sayings go, outa sight outa mind and it Ain't a problem till it is.

40' 2000 Monaco Windsor, ISC350 Cummings w/Allison 3000 6 speed and Jeep Cherokee toad. We're all old but, we keep on trucking!
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polishilldav View Post
I have a new Thor Aria 3601. There is one circuit in the coach that only has the electric water heater and the electric fireplace on a 15 amp breaker. Each has a potential power draw of 11.7 amp.
The fireplace will run for awhile and when the electric water heater kicks in the fireplace shuts off. It does not trip the 15 amp breaker. The fireplace will not restart for some amount on time and then will restart.
It seems that each is wired directly back to the circuit box and I cannot find an intermediate junction box to look for a loose wire connection.
I think what is happening is that the breaker is undersized and when the Water Heater draws power there is a low power sensor on the fireplace that shuts it down.
Any ideas from you experience?
Dave,

I think what is happening is that the Energy Management System will automatically shed (turn off) an item on the circuit if there is too much of a draw. I believe that Thor has determined the hierarchy for this. Once the draw from the hot water heater stops this allows the fireplace to start back up. At least this is what happens on our `14. I would guess that the Firefly in yours works the same way.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:10 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Mine works the same. Dryer and vacuum are also on the same circuit. Have ask if the system can be changed where the hot water heater and fireplace can be separated. Was told it can be done but Thor service center are not authorized to do the worked.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
Mine works the same. Dryer and vacuum are also on the same circuit. Have ask if the system can be changed where the hot water heater and fireplace can be separated. Was told it can be done but Thor service center are not authorized to do the worked.
That is going to be part of my issue. On mine, the only things I can find running on AC are the fridge (residential) and TVs. I want to have one of the outlets near the booth and the one under the bed running from the inverter also. The dinette is so Kelly can work from the coach while we are running down the road and the one under the bed will be for my CPAP. I have already deduced that the two generic batteries for the coach are not up to the task to even run the fridge and am already formulating a replacement framework for housing and servicing four 6 volt batteries with much more ease. I have considered either making all outlets hot in boondocking/traveling mode or adding two outlets that will be fed same as the fridge. Regardless, the battery box mods won't be done before really late winter and any wiring mods not done (other than an extension cord from fridge plug for Kelly) until after the warranty expires. I know it doesn't hurt, but I just don't want to have to run the generator so much while wanderin around.

Tags
electrical, thor