Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2019, 08:21 AM   #1

Inverter dead

I have a 2013 Thor. Palazzo model 33-1, the problem is that it keeps on blowing the 300 amp fuse going into the inverter I don't know what to do, if someone else has this problem I need help. Thanks Keith
Keith Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2019, 08:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Greggo View Post
I have a 2013 Thor. Palazzo model 33-1, the problem is that it keeps on blowing the 300 amp fuse going into the inverter I don't know what to do, if someone else has this problem I need help. Thanks Keith
Before you blame the inverter disconnect the 12 volt wires wires feeding the inverter at the inverter and try again. If the fuse holds then hook it back up and disconnect the output wiring and try it again. If it holds then the inverter is fine.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:40 AM   #3

When I disconnect from the converter the 300 amp fuse is fine,but when I reconnect the wire back to the inverter the fuse will blow
Old 11-02-2019, 11:16 AM   #4

What size inverter ?

Does it blow fast or only when running stuff ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:52 AM   #5

Hi Keith, welcome to the iRV2 forums. Sorry to know your first posts are over problems.

What brand/model inverter did Thor install in your Palazzo?

That the Big Fuse doesn't blow when the supply cables are disconnected from the inverter means it's unlikely you have a short in the supply cables.

Cavie and Twinboat want to know what happens if the 120VAC cables are disconnected from the inverter output, and the 12VDC cables from the batteries are reconnected... but the final test will be IF the big fuse remains intact with no load on the inverter while it's powered up, what happens when you re-connect the 120VAC line to the inverter. We'll have some more testing details to walk you through.

You're getting closer to a diagnosis.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Greggo View Post
When I disconnect from the converter the 300 amp fuse is fine,but when I reconnect the wire back to the inverter the fuse will blow
Are you talking about a converter an inverter of a combo unit?
you did 1/2 the test. Now disconnect the output side and test again.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:31 PM   #7

So sorry for the delay I am not sure exactly how the forum works but I'm learning. The inverter that the Palazzo has is a Magmun ms2012 2000wt.Let me start from the beginning, this all started when I was in Michigan about a month ago I removed the dinnet to replace it with a couch for more room and had the generator running but the inverter off ,I noticed that the remote display shut off when I stopped the generator and discovered that the big 300amp fuse was blown. I ordered another fuse and called Thor for help but to no avail because when I put in the new fuse it just blew when I tried to energize the inverter from the house batteries(these fuses are not cheap).We then headed to Florida to beat the cold weather and I ran the generator part time as we were traveling to power my residential refrigerator. Still no power from inverter but we are plugged into shore power and everything else seems to be working.I have ordered a new fuse but am a little hesitant about replacing it for fear of blowing it again. I will try to unhook 120 from inverter tomorrow and test that.

Thanks for putting up with me
Keith
Old 11-02-2019, 04:53 PM   #8

Did you run any screws into the floor or walls in your project ?

Disconnect the positive cable at the inverter and battery. With them off, use an ohm meter between one end and ground. If there is a short, you will read 0 ohms. Saves blowing a fuse.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:12 PM   #9

No screws or any fasteners used anywhere,will try ohm test.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2019, 10:28 AM   #10

Unfortunately we have to go back home to Mich and will not be able to continue to search for the inverter problem until we return in January.I want to thank all those who have helped with my problem and I will continue to follow the forums.

Thanks to all
Keith
Old 11-04-2019, 01:19 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good chance the inverter has failed and the replacement is a bit expensive (at least for me it would be). I would try and get it fixed first or you can follow along with Mr. Carlson - https://youtu.be/m-1OSFPHi04. Definitely a different fault but gives you a look inside the Magnasine.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:34 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Good chance you have a shorted cable or a BAD battery or a mis-connected battery.
The Inverter will not blow the fuse. The unit has protection circuit that will shut down the Inv/Chg to prevent what you are describing.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
Good chance you have a shorted cable or a BAD battery or a mis-connected battery.
The Inverter will not blow the fuse. The unit has protection circuit that will shut down the Inv/Chg to prevent what you are describing.
An inverter with shorted Mosfet diodes will blow big fuses. Been there done that.

But, installing a replacement should cause a shower of sparks on the fuse or battery terminal, unless he has a switch.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:09 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
An inverter with shorted Mosfet diodes will blow big fuses. Been there done that.

But, installing a replacement should cause a shower of sparks on the fuse or battery terminal, unless he has a switch.
Been there also, but not with the magnum - current MSH
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter