RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #1

Is this the right place to post questions about Thor Motor Coach Toy Haulers?

Like this:

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...611-5004656742

Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2018, 09:44 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
This post is under "Thor Industries Owners Forum, subgroup "Keystone"

Your link is to an RV for sale, brand Thor, Outlaw Toy Hauler. I don't think the listing has anything to do with Keystone. If you click the red triangle with the exclamation point, you can contact a Moderator to move the post if you'd like.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:20 PM   #3

Thanks. Will do.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:01 PM   #4

Well, now that it's posted in the right place, does anyone want to tell me about the rig in the ad?

What kind of fuel mileage does something like that get?
Old 10-11-2018, 05:18 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
It's a gas powered (Ford F53 Triton V10) RV. Your mileage will vary according to terrain, load, your speed, and wind. I wouldn't expect you'll ever see 11 mpg, perhaps as low as 6 mpg.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
It's a gas powered (Ford F53 Triton V10) RV. Your mileage will vary according to terrain, load, your speed, and wind. I wouldn't expect you'll ever see 11 mpg, perhaps as low as 6 mpg.
Yeah, I would have guessed 7-8 mpg at roughly the speed limit with no wind.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:44 PM   #7

My wife hates the colors- all brown and beige.

And after looking at the photos, it looks like the only fixed sleeping accommodations are on a sleeping pad inside that little mail slot over the garage. There's no way you'd even be able to sit up in there.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:07 PM   #8

I guess what I'm looking for, is a full-time rolling living quarters with room for a couple of normal-sized motorcycles, and room for our leathers, helmets, tools, race stands, tire warmers, and other gear.

I have no need for a garage that would house a small car, and certainly not at the expense of decent sleeping quarters for my wife and I after a long day at the track.

I guess I'm still looking...
Old 10-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #9

Welcome Grand Tour. If you want to learn more about the Outlaws, just look farther down the page of Thor threads here and find the "I Love my Thor/Damon Outlaw" thread (over 6100 posts!). There are lots of motorcycle enthusiasts who love their Outlaws.

If you are looking for a space to store all the gear you mentioned, then the 8' X 10' Outlaw garage would be about perfect. Those garages fill up fast.

LOL at your description of the RB loft bedroom as a "mail slot". It is a much smaller sleeping space than the loft that they used to have in the LS and 3611 floorpan, which Thor has stopped producing (for unknown reasons that baffle me).

I own the 3611 model and really like the loft bedroom in that. It is quiet and dark up there, always clean and ready for sleep since it is out of the way. Gear doesn't get piled in there, and it saves valuable floor space for the living quarters and garage.

I suggest you also look at the sticky thread "Class A Toyhaulers" in the Class A motorhome forum. This has a lot of info about the available models of this unique and versatile motorhome segment.

Good luck in your research!
Old 10-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
Welcome Grand Tour. If you want to learn more about the Outlaws, just look farther down the page of Thor threads here and find the "I Love my Thor/Damon Outlaw" thread (over 6100 posts!). There are lots of motorcycle enthusiasts who love their Outlaws.

If you are looking for a space to store all the gear you mentioned, then the 8' X 10' Outlaw garage would be about perfect. Those garages fill up fast.

LOL at your description of the RB loft bedroom as a "mail slot". It is a much smaller sleeping space than the loft that they used to have in the LS and 3611 floorpan, which Thor has stopped producing (for unknown reasons that baffle me).

I own the 3611 model and really like the loft bedroom in that. It is quiet and dark up there, always clean and ready for sleep since it is out of the way. Gear doesn't get piled in there, and it saves valuable floor space for the living quarters and garage.

I suggest you also look at the sticky thread "Class A Toyhaulers" in the Class A motorhome forum. This has a lot of info about the available models of this unique and versatile motorhome segment.

Good luck in your research!
Thanks. I'm checking there too. And reading hours and hours of technical links.

The link above actually IS to a 3611 model, a 2008. Is it yours? What is the measurement between the floor and the ceiling of the loft bed area? I've never seen one in person, I'm just trying to get a feel for it by looking at the photos.

All the stuff I described above fits in a standard-sized pickup bed, so the 8x10' garage with the tall ceiling just looked to me like it was taking up space (above it) that could have better been used by the loft bed area. I would think that a lower garage ceiling would give a lower floor for the bed area, for more room up there.

I met a motorcycle road racing contingency money "bounty hunter" years ago that traveled the country in a Class-A toy hauler of some sort, chasing contingency money. I never saw the inside of his rig, but it appeared to work well enough for him.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:25 PM   #11

Sorry, when you said "mail slot", I just assumed you were talking about the loft in the RB floorpan. It's loft is smaller and less open than the 3611. Yes, the 3611 is what I have, but on the more preferred Workhorse chassis instead of the Ford in your link. The loft ceiling is 32" high, so we don't sit up in there, especially with a mattress. But that's ok for me, as I prefer to lie down while sleeping

The Bounty Hunter is an almost carbon copy of the Outlaw 3611 floorpan, except it offered an option for an even deeper garage. It was made for just a couple years by Gulf Stream, which is no longer in the motorized RV business. You will find photos of it in that "Class A Toyhaulers" thread that is curated by Scarab0088.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:33 PM   #12

Thanks. From looking at the pictures, I didn't realize that it was 32".

And no, I wasn't saying that the guy was IN an RV called a "Bounty Hunter". I said the guy IS a bounty hunter.

A contingency bounty hunter is someone who chases contingency money in local motorcycle road racing for a living, as opposed to trying to get a job as a factory-sponsored pro.

The cash flow in motorcycle road racing at the local level is kind of strange- there's generally no prize money. The real earnings come from contingency payments made by motorcycle manufacturers, tire manufacturers, and so on.

At that time, a particular manufacturer was paying $2,000 a win at certain local races. So if the bounty hunter had two motorcycles that each fit into two classes, he could stand to win $8,000 on a race day, plus tire contingency payments ($350 each for four classes = another $1,400), and on, and on, and on.

So if he's got two new motorcycles loaned to him every year by his sponsoring dealership, and he has a tire sponsor providing his tires, then he needs little more than an RV and a way to carry the motorcycles to stand a chance at making a living in motorcycle road racing.

Bounty hunters map out where the most contingency money is available, and follow that money to try to collect as much of it as possible.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #13

OK, but now it makes even more perfect sense for that guy to drive a Bounty Hunter toy hauler
Old 10-13-2018, 02:33 PM   #14

Lol.

Tags
ace, thor, thor motor coach, toy hauler