Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #1

Just saw the Thor Ace 27.1!

I just saw the Thor Ace 27.1 and would like to encourage everyone to buy one so the industry makes more RVs with a king bed in a shorter RV.

I think Thor is really on to something with the Ace line. We talked to the rep. because we had a couple of issues with the Ace. One was the low distance to the ground. We are barely clearing our driveway with our Winnebago Brave, which sits much higher, so were pretty certain we couldn't get up with the Ace as it sits much lower. The rep. said they hadn't had any problems with current buyers. However, we think they may be a self selected group who don't mind a low sitting RV as they stay on mostly flat roads. We off-road on forest service roads and we have a slight uphill to our driveway that isn't long, low, RV friendly.

We also found the front seats too hard for our liking but the rep. thought he might be able to get the softer Windsport seats so there may be a work around for that. However he emphasized they wouldn't match which we would be OK with with us, as long as they were comfortable.

I loved the L-shaped dinette! Sort of like a couch and dinette all in one as you can stretch out on the long side. The table was a very good size which I also liked as some of the U-shaped dinette shrink the table down quite a bit. I found the foam on the dinette lacking but I think one could have it reupholstered with nicer foam if that was the only issue.

The killer wonderful feature though was the KING size bed with a reasonable amount of room on the sides for entering and exiting. It also had a good amount of storage on the wall opposite the bed, although they put what appears to be the water tank in the lower left cabinet (while sitting on the end of the bed), if I'm not confusing it with another floor plan. I can't remember if the water pump was in that cabinet on this floor plan. It was in there for the Thor Windsport 29X and I was concerned about the noise.

The other thing I liked about the KING size bed was that it is lower to the ground and a more normal height than you see in alot of shorter RVs. This works well for us as we have a short legged dog who could more easily jump on it.

In terms of interior storage it seemed very generous. I particularly liked the pull out pantry next to the fridge.

The shower was passable. It has the curved out plastic so not as big as what we saw in the Windsport which has a more square shower. I think the Ace 30.1 also had the more square shower.

We also like the Windsport 29X but no king bed and it is 30' 10" long vs the ACE 27.1 which is 28' 7" long.

In terms of storage the 27.1 ruled! It has 93 cu. ft. in exterior storage. The 29X lagged with 62.3 cu. ft.

The double sink in the Windsport works better for us because we travel with the dish soap and sponges in the dish basket on one side and use the other for hand washing etc. But I think maybe if you cut out a new hole and redid the plumbing you could switch to a double sink. However, I didn't look under the sink to check out the room for this.

I would be interested if the sliding doors rattle when driving for those who own Thor RVs.

I also really liked the 30.1 but without the king sized bed I quickly forgot it once I saw the 27.1. It appears Thor dropped the 29.1 floor plan for this year as it was not in the brochure. The 29.2 is a very nice floor plan but the bed is too high for our dog so we didn't really consider it.

Concerns for the 27.1 Ace also included a very wide pillar between the front windshield and the side windows. It seemed very odd to have such large blind spots built in.

Another concern with the Ace line is that they all smelled heavily of chemicals and glue. The Windsport did also but for some reason the Ace's were particularly fume laden. I don't know how long it takes for them to out gas so we may never be able to buy a new one. We will likely be limited to used units at least a few years old to allow for the out gassing.

So has anyone else seen it? What do you think? They were showing a couple of sold stickers in the window and I'm betting the 27.1 becomes one of Thor's best selling floor plans.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Thx for the report on the 27.1. I have the 29.1 and don't have rattling doors. Only thing I don't care for online is the placement of the tv. All other things considered its awesome. I did have an issue going down a shopping center ramp on one of my first days owning it where the front lower fiberglass bumper scraped the ground...did not hurt anything and it scared the heck out of me, thinking I really might have damaged it, but nothing except a scratch on the bottom of the fiberglass. I think it would be perfect with 22.5. Thx for the update on the 27.1 I will have to wait for the portland rv show in March. :-(
Bdhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I saw the layout on the Thor website for the 27.1 and am glad that it is exciting as it appeared to be. We have the 29.2 and are really happy with it. Haven't had any problems with the low clearance, even in the mountains here in Colorado. We have had problems with the pantry opening up around corners and we ended up putting velcro straps around the bedroom sliding door as it would also occassionally come open going around corners.

I'm glad you are thinking about the Thor ACE. We sure have enjoyed it.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #4

When is it likely the information on any changes/features to the ACE line would be announced for the 2014's? I recall the 2013's were shown in May of 2012..
volvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. on the sliding doors.

Gormleys, do you go on the CO dirt national forest service roads for boondocking? We do that alot and that is where I'm worried about getting hung up.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Most of the national forest roads in the mountains of Colorado are rated 4-wheel drive. (Think Diablo Pass on the movie RV). We prefer to take the Tahoe on those.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nice rig. Here is the floorplan for it.

gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #8

That's it! The only difference was in real life the L-shaped dinette was all one piece, shaped in an L. The printed brochure also shows it that way. Here is a picture that sort of shows it.

I took two pics. of the bedroom area. I couldn't find how to post them here so I put them on my blog.
http://1994brave29rqrv.blogspot.com/...r-ace-271.html

As you can see from the pics, along with the Thor pic. of the main living area there is very good interior storage.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by micd View Post
I just saw the Thor Ace 27.1 and would like to encourage everyone to buy one so the industry makes more RVs with a king bed in a shorter RV.

We saw one today also and have noted some comments after yours.

I think Thor is really on to something with the Ace line. We talked to the rep. because we had a couple of issues with the Ace. One was the low distance to the ground. We are barely clearing our driveway with our Winnebago Brave, which sits much higher, so were pretty certain we couldn't get up with the Ace as it sits much lower. The rep. said they hadn't had any problems with current buyers. However, we think they may be a self selected group who don't mind a low sitting RV as they stay on mostly flat roads. We off-road on forest service roads and we have a slight uphill to our driveway that isn't long, low, RV friendly.

We have the same issue, hoping it would make it up our drive, but with the lower than normal ride height, it probably won't. Good for driving and lower center of gravity, just tough to make it up any sort of incline.

The killer wonderful feature though was the KING size bed with a reasonable amount of room on the sides for entering and exiting. It also had a good amount of storage on the wall opposite the bed, although they put what appears to be the water tank in the lower left cabinet (while sitting on the end of the bed), if I'm not confusing it with another floor plan. I can't remember if the water pump was in that cabinet on this floor plan.

You are correct, the water tank is in the lower left hand wardrobe cabinet, making it pretty much useless for storage. Regarding the water pump, I do remember seeing one mounted in the outside cabinet about mid way down the driver side.

Concerns for the 27.1 Ace also included a very wide pillar between the front windshield and the side windows. It seemed very odd to have such large blind spots built in.

We drove a 30.1 and yes, the "A" pillar is a bit wide and one does need to use extra caution when turning, needing to move the head fore/aft to make sure nothing is hiding behind it.

So has anyone else seen it? What do you think? They were showing a couple of sold stickers in the window and I'm betting the 27.1 becomes one of Thor's best selling floor plans.
Pricing in Manteca, Ca was at $74,995 on the two units we saw, but both were already sold. Looks to be a great model, but the storage in the 29.2 keeps me coming back to that model. Now, if they'd just put a king bed in the 30.1 or find a way to put a "real" Queen size bed in the 29.2, then they'd really have something!
CAJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #10

CAJW,

Thanks for the details. I agree that including more king beds in more models would be wonderful.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #11

A couple of questions I have about this model is: Can you get through to the bedroom with the slide in? Can the restroom door still open enough for the restroom to be used on the road?
chogard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #12

When I was in it I thought with the slide in you could access the restroom and the one side of the bed. The bed would cut off access to some of the cabinets in the bedroom. In particular the lower ones across from the foot of the bed. The easiest ones to access would be the right wardrobe.

But this was just my estimate. It was at a show so the slide was out.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #13

chogard,

We ordered the ACE 27.1, and are just (impatiently) waiting now. When we were at the RV show in Novi, MI, we asked our saleslady the same question: you can get through, but there is no room at the foot of the bed to stand. Also, you can get into the restroom.

T_Van
T_Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Van View Post
chogard,

We ordered the ACE 27.1, and are just (impatiently) waiting now. When we were at the RV show in Novi, MI, we asked our saleslady the same question: you can get through, but there is no room at the foot of the bed to stand. Also, you can get into the restroom.

T_Van
Ooh, you lucky T-Van. You must start a thread telling us all about it when you get it. Also include pics. When do you expect to take delivery?

Tags
thor