RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2014, 11:35 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Just Want A Cup of Joe

July purchased a class A MH. New to the game and learning as I go.

Can anyone share what can be used to
get my coffee maker started in the morning without using generator. Usually we have camped at places that will not allow you to run generator until 10am. I need a cup of Joe much earlier than that! I know I cannot possibly be the only one that has or has had this major issue. Anyone wish to share over a cup of Joe (smile).

cynthiad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2014, 11:46 PM   #2

Do you have an inverter feature within your coach's house electrical charging system? It "converts" 12V into 110V, usually only on certain outlets. If so, activate the inverter, find one of those outlets and get the coffee brewing. Suggest you keep an eye on the 12V charge state of your house batts if you do so that you can then fire up the gen at 10:00.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:05 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most electric coffee makers are 1500 watts or about the same as a hair dryer. That will take a lot of charge out of the battery. Get a percolator or French Press at Wal*Mart or Goodwill and use the gas stove to heat the water. We keep an old percolator in the MH just for that purpose, although I can't even remember the last time we used it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:48 AM   #4

Find yourself a Melitta pour over, they make them in 1, 4 or 8 cup sizes.

I keep one (and a box of the filters) in my camper just in case the coffee pot dies, they make great coffee also
kgburns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:57 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Bought a Sterling Pro 8 cup French Press coffee maker from Amazon after my cousin brought his down to the beach house. It makes delicious coffee! Just heat some water on the stove then spoon in the coffee then hot water. Stir and press coffee into your cup. No electric needed and you will never get a Kerig cup as aromatic and tasty!!

Welcome!!!
Old 11-06-2014, 04:59 AM   #6

We do cold brew, all we have to do is boil water a cup at a time.....
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:11 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgburns1 View Post
Find yourself a Melitta pour over, they make them in 1, 4 or 8 cup sizes.

I keep one (and a box of the filters) in my camper just in case the coffee pot dies, they make great coffee also
X2
Damdannyboy
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
damdannyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:24 AM   #8

We have been using a 4 cup Mr. Coffee for years on the boat and motorhome. They draw 700 watts.

When we got the M/H, we first used a Harbor Freight 800 watt inverter, hooked to 1 Group 27 battery. We could run the coffee maker twice, before the inverter alarm went off. There is still power to start the generator later in the morning. We stuck the inverter near the battery and ran an extension cord to the coffee maker.

We have since upgraded to a 1000 watt PSW inverter, transfer switch to 2 outlets and 2-6 Volt Golf cart batteries, charged by 300 watts of solar.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:54 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
If you don't have an inverter, and you don't want to make your coffee on your gas stove (camp Coffee Pot), buy a 12v job. It makes about 4 cups (1.75 cup for me), you can buy them on Amazon, or at Truck Stops.
Oh I Love "My"Cup-O-Joe.
PS: I do the camp pot where I have no 110. The make the coffee the night before in your electric pot is, "A Great Idea". Wish I had Thought Of That!
Old 11-06-2014, 06:22 AM   #10

You might want to check out this coffee maker, looks interesting. I have an Aeropress that I love.

http://www.supercompressor.com/hario...roducts/164286
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:23 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
YOu have options, Many options.
1: 12 volt coffee maker (not my first choice)
2: INVERTER check the wattage on your brewer.. IF the brewer is NOT an electronics model then you can use a MSW inverter of at least 10% more watts than the label says, If it is an electronic unit (has built in clock timer) go with a True Sine.

You can also use a bigger inverter, mine is a 2,000 watt.

3: Go old school, percolator on propane stove,,, Made coffee many years that way back in the old days I did.

4: French press, Heat water any way you like (See Propane)

5: Melita one-cup "Funnel" type coffee maker.. This is a device that simply fits atop a cup, heat water as in 4 and pour over grounds in filter and let it drip down.. NOTE: My #1 Recommendation for you.

If you have a problem finding one....click below

https://shoponline.melitta.com/product/64007
Old 11-06-2014, 07:58 AM   #12

We use Starbucks "Via" on those mornings when we have no electricity or generator. Boil some water, the flavor is outstanding.
KAMPURR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We use Folgers dip bags as a backup. They are individually sealed and last a very long time. Perfect for backpacking, too.

Folgers Coffee Singles - Single Cup Coffee Bags - Regular - 19ct Box - Coffee Wholesale

I prefer the "cowboy campfire" percolator, but that is messy to clean up in a coach, same goes for a french press. The previously mentioned Melitta funnel that sits on top of a mug is probably the easiest, and least messy to use. And you use the coffee of your choice, just make sure you carry some ground coffee or you will be back to the original problem of needing electricity for your grinder. . .

All this talk about coffee, time to brew some up. Who wants some?

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:33 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Hello. Wow so many options. Need to think over a cup for option that works best for me. Thanks for all input and great stories of how you resolved the issue. This is why I so love these forums! Will update you on my choice.

cynthiad2 is offline   Reply With Quote