Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2016, 12:27 PM   #1

King Jack Antenna

Looking at replacing the Batwing Winegard with a King Jack.
Only issue I can see is my Thor Ace 30.1 has the TV swinging out of the cabinet and the turning knob would be between the ceiling and the top of the TV.
I have 3 1/4" from the top of the TV and ceiling. Anyone know if that's enough room?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	122291  
Hittntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #2

Not sure what you mean,i removed my batwing and replaced it with a king jack and only switched the outside head ,Nothing changed inside
Mr Plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:26 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How did it work after you installed it? I was thinking about one too. I have not see any reviews about the performance.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Plymouth View Post
Not sure what you mean,i removed my batwing and replaced it with a king jack and only switched the outside head ,Nothing changed inside
Im going with the King Jack. Don't have to raise and lower it.
Comes with a signal strength meter.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VF48YO/...e56630f5aad8_S
Hittntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:20 PM   #5

Take this as my 2 cents. I had and old batwing probably a II on my 2000 Hurricane. I wanted to add the Wingman to it to improve reception but ran into issues with the AC unit being to close. Swapped the Batwing head for a King Jack and there was an improvement over the 15 year old batwing but still way too many issues with reception. Swapped the King for the new Rayzar Air and at the same time put in the Sensar Pro control box. Again a decent increase in reception, easier pointing.

I have read probably 50-60 reviews on RV antennas and for me there is no better antenna/booster combination out there than the Winegard Sensar IV coupled to the Sensar Pro control box.

If you are looking for ease of use and doing less damage to your motorhome you might want to look at the new Winegard automatic which uses existing wiring, no new holes in the roof other than mounting screws.

But like I said, my 2 cents and you may other objectives.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:29 PM   #6

Inlineskater ,It work fine for me ,it comes with a power booster and i have a good picture ,but not crazy about antenna TV
Mr Plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntheroad View Post
Im going with the King Jack. Don't have to raise and lower it.
Comes with a signal strength meter.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VF48YO/...e56630f5aad8_S

I installed this exact unit in my ACE after I ripped off the original driving down the road under some trees. (oh snap)

The reception on this thing is poor compared to the original. The HEIGHT above the other crap on the roof is the issue.

The entire thing has since stopped working. I believe the power amplifier is shot. Without the amplifier, it is worthless.

I have not decided what to replace it with.
sanfordturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:53 AM   #8

I recently swapped out my old omni-directional, analog, over-air antenna for the Jack head only--fits std bat-wing arm and uses the existing booster. I am of the opinion that the "new" digital signal technology is more sensitive to direction and line-of-sight with/from transmission source[s]. Accordingly, being able to point antenna and clear any low-lying obstructions on the roof is a plus. Also means things like tree branches and small hills in proximity to your rig will cause problems.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:08 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Being a ham radio operator, I deal with antennas fairly often. In comparing antennas, you cannot beat the old Wineguard antenna with the wingman. It out performs neighbors with the King jack antenna.

The wingman makes the antenna much more directional and a bit more trouble to get it tuned, but is a good performer.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna