Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #1

Hello I need some advices. During my last trip I noticed that my living/dinette room slide was leaking. It leak from the top down between the wood frames. I noticed the wood on top wet and now the paper is pealing off the wood. In looking on top of the slide roof I noticed that the piece of metal on the left side does not go end to end (from outside to inside) leaving a hole of about .5" on the inside. I was thinking of removing all the wood frames to replace with better one and adding Eternabond Tape from one end to the other where the roof meet the face where the wood is. Anyone have this problem that could help me out before I start this project.

How do I add a picture so that you can see the frame?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #2

Hello I need some advices. During my last trip I noticed that my living/dinette room slide was leaking. It leak from the top down between the wood frames. I noticed the wood on top wet and now the paper is pealing off the wood. In looking on top of the slide roof I noticed that the piece of metal on the left side does not go end to end (from outside to inside) leaving a hole of about .5" on the inside. I was thinking of removing all the wood frames to replace with better one and adding Eternabond Tape from one end to the other where the roof meet the face where the wood is. Anyone have this problem that could help me out before I start this project.

How do I add a picture so that you can see the frame?

Old 07-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #3

Well today I decided to remove the wood frame from the living/dinette slide. Now you see the metal frame, you know that this frame can get loose every time you open the slide. When you open the slide the pressure causes it to separate from the top of the roof and this metal frame casing water to leak in. Going to put Eternabond tape on top of roof where it will meet with the metal frame. Then replace with new wood frame and hopefully this will do the job.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #4

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
You are a hands down guy that is willing to do it yourself. This way you know it is done right..
Old 07-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #5

Yes George I feel this way I know it done the way I want it and at the same time change the molding around the slide to something nice. The old molding was nice but basically is made of cardboard and you know what happen to cardboard when it get wet. I will secure the metal frame around the slide to the slide box nice and tight then add the eternaband tape on the roof of the slide where it meet with the metal frame. Then add the nice molding that I am still shopping for. I am checking at Lowes and Home Deport. We are not going anywhere for now so we have the time.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:37 AM   #6

Just noticed this post.Mine did the same exact thing. I chaulked the area you describe where the metal corner tries to meet the edge.Leak gone,fake wood damaged ,but not too bad to look at.My kitchen slide leaked,turns out to be the water heater is mounted a little crooked and when it rains , water seeps in.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:15 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sometimes the Mfg forgets to place some sealent across the top lip of the water heater when they install flush against side wall.
Water could wind up on rug in bathroom.
Good job My Life #1 area where your slide can leak on some MFG models.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:49 AM   #8

Frankie, or any other Hurricane (2006) could you check your living room slide and let me know if you have a metal piece going cross corner of the slide, (the metal piece is about 4 inches) as you face the living room slide is the bottom left side (slide is open)the other side behind the driver does not have this piece.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #9

Any chance you can take a pic and post or e-mail it to me?

Old 07-30-2008, 04:35 PM   #10

Check your e-mail Frankie for the pic
Old 07-31-2008, 02:55 PM   #11

I got your pic. No, we dont have that cross piece. That, honestly, looks like a factory booboo.They must have chipped a corner,and repaired it.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:16 PM   #12

I am going to see if I can remove it. I feel because of this piece I am getting water in that corner. Looking at the pic you can see black mark which I think is from the rubber seal when opening and closing the slide and when the slide is open is not making a good tight seal. What you think Frankie?
Old 07-31-2008, 03:30 PM   #13

I agree. Try some fiberglass tape.Paint it white.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:26 AM   #14

I removed the piece from the corner and saw no reason for it. I did notice when the slide open the rubber seal at the bottom corner does position itself like the right corner. What I am going to do it position it by hand for the next rain. This piece that I remove has nothing to do with the position of the rubber seal because I have checked with it and without it.