RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2011, 06:34 AM   #1

looking for touch up paint for my motor home

I have contacted Thor and obtained the paint codes for my 2007
Damon Tuscony motor home, and also found out that the paint is sherwin Williams however whenever I talk to any of the parts stores and give them the paint codes thay claim that they cannot match them or crossreference them, has anyone had this experience or have any suggestions on how I can obtain some touch up paint? The paint combo is called Sunset Slate and the 4 different paint codes are TUSC02, 230706,TUSC01, and 23145 any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Earlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2011, 06:44 AM   #2

You can check at a body shop.
Some, not all, body shops have a hand held device that can let them match whatever your paint is. By that I mean it will give them a code to follow to mix the paint. I don't know the name of the machine but it will also allow for any fading that may have occurred over the years.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
You can check at a body shop.
Some, not all, body shops have a hand held device that can let them match whatever your paint is. By that I mean it will give them a code to follow to mix the paint. I don't know the name of the machine but it will also allow for any fading that may have occurred over the years.
Dido x2
Old 10-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If those number are Sherwin Williams then you need to let your fingers do the walking in the yellow pages or Google a phone number/address for a SW Automotive Paint location.

They can mix the paint an even supply it in a spray can if you want.

We, as a body shop, occasionally sold paint to a DIYer.

The machine for color matching is a ColorEye Spectrophotometer. We would use that when the paint code was not available on a vehicle.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #5

You need to have the SW dealer access the Thor paint codes through SW's (maybe) Fleetwood corporate formulas. Manufacturers like Thor create special colors that are stored only in that manufacturer's corporate formulas section in the SW system. I don't know what manufacturer hierarchy name SW will have Thor under.

Thor should be able to give you more details about what exactly you need to tell the SW guys. Also try a bigger SW dealer.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Google for a Sherman Williams AUTOMOTIVE paint store near you or.....

Ask your favorite body man for the name of the store he uses

And when you go viisit.. Be sure to bring LOTS of financial product (Cash or credit card) I think it's like $60.00/pint but I may be .... Low.

NOTE: The Auto Paint store can also put paint with clear coat (one pass painting) in an spray can for you if you want it that way.

And if you can not find a store.. Try Raleigh Williams in Elkhart IN.

he very likely mixed the original paint.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
$60/pint....wow. We sold custom mixed rattle cans of paint for $10 just 4 years ago and grossed about $7.00 profit. The can was the biggest expense. Red is the most expensive and its about $125.00 per gallon.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
match paint

i just took my madp to a bodyshop paint supplier in my area and the put the computer camera on the area to be painted and the codes from that allow them to mix a match paint as little as a half pint. real easy & fast and not too expensive. just stop at any local body paint shop & ask them who they use.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #9

I have used a touch up paint site called AutomotiveTouchup, I was happy with it
crosscountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:33 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Re the price.. IT was for two cans, custom mixed and I might be 20 bucks off, But I know when I've priced spray cans of "Standard" stuff like Rust-O-lem in the stores I dang near passed out.. paint has suddently shot up in price. Cans I bought a few years back for a buck a pop are now pushing double digits.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a Fleetwood rv once and needed touch up paint- they sent me some. My Winnebago comes with touch up paint in the owner's package (all four colors) in the full body paint scheme. Probably calling Damon or the dealer would be the ticket if your paint shops can't do it (consider your gas and time spent doing all that).
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They gave you thor paint codes, vice actual Sherwin Williams numbers
i have a sheet for our colors i received from damon. its actually a great color screen they sent me.
the s/w numbers are listed on the pic
our sw dealer in commercial and marine finishes in tyler pulled them up when i need a dab of the dark

they need to move the post to the thor damon area....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08_tu sw sunset shadow.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	15037  

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #13

Paint on the vynal stripes

I hope one of you can answer this about my Fleetwood. It is a 1999 Tioga. It is in very good condition except for the stripes. I assume they are vynal ?? Can they be painted over? I haven't found a magic product to bring back the color. I am open to all sugestions.
mrgarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:53 AM   #14

First of all let me report that thanks to the help of Powerboatr, who gave me the name of the people that painted my coach, I was able to get an address for the distribution center for Sherwin Williams and after contacting them they mixed me about a pint of each of the four colors, it was not cheap ( $ 210 ) but the guy at Sherwin Williams said that since shipping was so high ( $245 ) that they would actually eat the price of shipping so they shipped it for free, it all matched perfectly and the touchup is all done plus I have a supply for future touchup if needed.,.....to attempt to answer your question, I have had very good luck in the past using a light to medium cut rubbing compound ( use a damp cloth to apply and keep it damp do not allow it to dry while rubbing ) it is a lot of hard work but this usually brings out the original color and then a good coat of wax over that usually helps it stay looking good. There is no easy fix that I know of just a lot of hard rubbing and polishing. Good Luck Earl C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgarlic View Post
I hope one of you can answer this about my Fleetwood. It is a 1999 Tioga. It is in very good condition except for the stripes. I assume they are vynal ?? Can they be painted over? I haven't found a magic product to bring back the color. I am open to all sugestions.

Earlc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint