RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #1

"Must Haves" with a new purchase

What are some "must have" items you have found you needed after you purchased your Class A? Things that weren't exactly obvious. (not plates and silverware etc.) We are looking at an Aria 3901 as our first MH.

USN Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Accessibility with the slides in. Many things get covered up when the slides are in. Can you get to the things you need when the rig is going down the road. I saw one where the bathroom and the fridge were blocked -- NO!

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:51 PM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Accessibility with the slides in. Many things get covered up when the slides are in. Can you get to the things you need when the rig is going down the road. I saw one where the bathroom and the fridge were blocked -- NO!
Yup, have seen those as well as the sink,cooktop/oven blocked. and coaches with opposing front slides where when closed up for traveling you had to crawl over sofa's to traverse the coach.. and the next set of slides blocked the bathroom and bedroom .. unless you were REALLY SKINNY.. SINGLE Living Room Slide for us..can (& do ) use the coach many times with the slide retracted if just an overnight stop.. only thing blocked is the Crystal & China Hutch...paper plates work just as well..
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:03 PM   #4

RV sewer hoses, A fresh water drinking water hose, a pressure regulator for the hose, a 50 to 30 amp electrical connector/adapter, coax cable for the cable TV antenna connection, disposable gloves for when dealing with the sewer connections, extra keys for the doors and baggage compartment, external hose and nozzle to clean the RV and TOAD, water bucket, basic tool kit, tire gauge that will work on the RV and a compressor to inflate the tires. Some of these things may come with the coach. I have never received a sewer hose with a coach that I would actually use they have all been very cheap, RV toilet paper. A lot of these thing are available at Walmart in the RV department. The external water filter that fits on your fresh water hose is also a good idea. Some 115 inside extension cords and a outside extension cord too, lawn chairs, Plastic storage bins that will fit in the basement make storage a lot easier.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:51 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A legal pad and a dozen pens. As you find stuff that you forgot write it down. Even after a lot summers I still come home after every outing with a list. Normally includes a few more items that need attention than to include for the next time out.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:51 PM   #6

My next purchase would have a side radiator as a must have. Current rear radiator is a PITA to do some stuff on. Really like current layout but wish it had side radiator.
relling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by relling View Post
My next purchase would have a side radiator as a must have. Current rear radiator is a PITA to do some stuff on. Really like current layout but wish it had side radiator.
What type of maintenance do you need to do that the radiator is in the way?
Old 05-09-2019, 08:16 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
A TPMS system, hand sanitizer/towels for the wet bay, a collapsible ladder for other-than-roof access, a set of FRS walkie-talkies for communications with your spotter while backing, an Oxygenics shower head, a good GPS, a good road atlas, and, most important of all...a big ol' grin!

Congrats!

Steve
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:59 AM   #9

This is a hard question to answer, sort of like what do I need to buy for a furnished apartment, except in this case one with a vehicle chassis under it. Pots, pans, can opener, sewer hose, fresh and flush water hoses, some tools (varies on how handy you are), etc. may seem obvious, though without knowing your background I would hate to assume. I like to have a set of disposable coveralls around in case I have to crawl under the coach to fix something on the side of a road. Then there is all that household stuff, finger nail clippers, first aid kit, ...

My best advice is once you buy it find a state park near a 24 hour Wal-Mart and go camping for a weekend, when you find something you are missing, go buy it.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USN Retiree View Post
What type of maintenance do you need to do that the radiator is in the way?
Access to the accessory drive belts and the accessories. Access to the face of the engine. Wish I had side radiator, but a side radiator takes away a side compartment, so it's a give and take.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Really like my door midship and the access to the salon rather than the cockpit and the big side window and forward seating that affords my copilot. Really like being pre-DEF. Really like my side opening compartment doors. Gotta have air ride, end of discussion.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Really like my door midship and the access to the salon rather than the cockpit and the big side window and forward seating that affords my copilot. Really like being pre-DEF. Really like my side opening compartment doors. Gotta have air ride, end of discussion.

Why pre-DEF? My understanding the DEF helps keep the "diesel smell" to a minimum and if you have a TOAD you don't get a bunch of soot on it.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:30 PM   #13

Because those DEF systems can cost thousands of dollars to repair when they fail
Old 05-09-2019, 09:16 PM   #14

I'm a carry the spares kind of person. So I have a complete set of spare filters, belt, etc. I carry fuses, and electrical test equipment. I have spare air couplings and some spare air hose of the sizes my rig uses. We're away from "home" 6 months at a time so spares make me feel more confident.

Maybe the most unique spare that I always keep is a toilet rebuild kit. I've rebuilt the toilet twice now. It has a tendency to snap off the piece that opens the ball valve rendering the toilet inoperable. I can put the kit in in about a half hour.

When something breaks I usually buy 2. 1 to fix and 1 for spare. I don't suppose I really need a spare capacitor for the heat pumps since I have 3 and seldom use them all at once, but after one went bad, I now have a spare.

bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase