RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #1

Need some help

I am debating getting a 27.1 A.C.E. or the 24.1 AXIS. Those of you currently driving these rigs, what is your advice? I was struggling with the gas vs. diesel issue, but there seems to be an abundance of gasser drivers out there, so it may be ok to get less mpg. Thanks for your input.

Headingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In MHO, it really depends upon how much you plan to drive it and where you are going. Driving to Alaska? - go diesel. Driving to the local state park five times a year? - save money and go gas. There are lots of floor plans out there. Go shopping and figure out which of these works best for your situation first. Then look at the trade-offs for gas versus diesel. If you plan on spending more time inside or camping in the winter, the ACE may have more space and keep you from going crazy when you don't have much room.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:19 PM   #3

Love the king sized bed and extra room. I would be surprised if the mileage was significantly different. 27.1 = yes.
KAMPURR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Need some help

Stay away from Thor. My 2 cents. Poor build workmanship.

Look around and read a lot here, lot's of others out there.

Cheers.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #5

I read the same judgements about THOR / ACE, we however have yet to have our first serious problem. Some minor inconveniences but that's it.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I would prefer the ACE just for the size and room. The Axis is nice but too small for me.
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #7

We have the 2014 ACE 27.1 and love it. Only minor issues. Build looks and feels excellent contrary to what some say here. The Harris battery is anemic but other than that no major complaints. Slide is large enabling a king size bed which is really nice. Storage is excellent. The size is excellent. I am putting an inverter in now and will add solar soon.

IMHO a lot of the complaints you see here are from those who are somewhat confused by a new motorhome and somewhat cranky. Just saying.... Everything works, slide, levelors, awning etc. the Ford V10 and 5 spd tranny are wonderful. We live on a mountaintop and the MH pulls 6+% grades with ease. No need to downshift on our 16% grade to Lucerne, it does it automatically.

Mileage with cruise is 7+ but with a foot it is 9 mpg. It has the hp and torque to pull long grades at 65 with cruise and therefore 7 but use your foot on the grade and we get 9. Think this is because the V10 wants to do it now and it can so it does. On a 7 to 8% grade with the CRV in tow we can pull up even with a truck doing 45 then accelerate to 60+ easily when we go around him. I'de buy another in a minute.

We have at least one or two people come up to us at campgrounds inquiring about its length etc and the floorplan.

We try to avoid all private campgrounds unless we have to and love the high alpine lake campgrounds in the national forests and the California state beaches.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #8

What role does the inverter play vs generator?
Old 12-12-2014, 08:49 AM   #9

I think it helps if you can find a few things to look closely at that you find meaningful. For example, I walked through three Class A's with big price differences.

In the bedroom I was looking at the cabinet mirrors. There was a big difference how they were installed. One mirror was so bad, it practically fell off when I opened the door. It only used three little metal clips and a few short bits of some squeezed out adhesive at a couple of places, one piece that was already coming off.

I think you have to be able to see deeper than appearances and think about how much time you will be spending in the rig and if various things will take the usage.

I also looked at the sliding door used to separate the bedroom. Some sliding doors were very simple, cheap, and felt like they would break any time. Other sliding doors felt like they could easily hold up to daily use for several years.

You must accept this is a very personal decision and not any other person but yourself can pick your rig and the smaller amount of knowledge you have of these complex moving homes, the more risk you accept that the things that irritate you, that might not irritate me, will be discovered after you buy the rig.

A salesman advice, upon seeing damage made by people doing walk throughs, that not everyone is gentle, speaks for itself.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #10

Axis Owner

We love our Axis, but it is SMALL! It's exactly what we wanted and it works well for us. It handles pretty easily, I can park it and a 10' trailer (15'overall) in a 40' storage spot, it fits in the driveway to pack/unpack, and maneuvers well in gas stations and whatnot.

But, if small is not one of your primary considerations you might find it too small. It really is tiny!

There's are long set of posts here recounting our experience so far.

Quality Control has been an annoyance, but so far nothing I haven't seen or heard about in other manufacturers rigs. Oddly enough, most of the vitriol about Thor quality seems to come largely from folks who don't own them. There are issues to be sure, but that seems to be the state of the industry and not unique to any manufacturer.

Regards,

Randy
Old 12-12-2014, 10:04 AM   #11

The size of the Axis is what we love best. Our criteria was 25 ft length or shorter. We looked at A's, B's and C's. The Axis had the most features at this length by far. Everything else seemed to involve too many compromises.

That said, you may be comfortable in larger motor homes, and plan to tow most of the time. We like that we don't have to tow if we don't want to bother with it. Our last RV was a Sprinter diesel, and we loved it but gas costs less than diesel (at this time), and the Axis is more affordable in the first place.

We've had just almost no problems with our Axis. We've fixed the shower wall liner which gaped and added weather stripping to one window. Nothing we couldn't fix ourselves yet. My husband loves driving it and finds it easy to park. We love the large windshield. Bottom line, with the Axis we have gotten a pretty small, nimble RV with the features we needed most, including great storage.

Good luck with your decision!
axiscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #12

An inverter produces 120v power from your 12v house batteries. You do not need to run the generator. Make coffe, dry your hair, pop popcorn, make toast or watch TV All without a generator.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #13

I agree with RogerS. Our previous MH was a 1991 HR. Break your decision down into parts. What size. Usable storage. Must have storage. Shower size. Bathroom size. Be size. Chassis. Build. Cabinetry. Slide door mechanisms. Slide mechanisms. M

Modern MH's usually make walls etc like a sandwich. The ACE is not glitzy. It is handy. You can trace most of the wires easily. Same with the plumbing. I've crawled underneath. Take off panels to see what's there. When I do this I find it's pretty simple and more importantly very functional.

When you are looking try to get a salesman who is fun, honest and knowledgeable. Tell him what you want and more importantly don't want. Look at the same features in a more expensive model. See if there is increased value for you there. Do a lot of research on the inet. Be prepared before you buy. Know what things do. Know about slides. Know about weight, length and realize the larger the slide for example the heavier it is and maybe more problematic.

I like the ACE. I LIKE THE 27.1. The build is very good. I looked at the Winnebago retro. Ugh! Looks like what my neighbor had parked on their driveway for years. The ACE 27.1 is pretty simple and basic.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #14

Question for Forest. Does the inverter replace the generator and thus used when not hooked to shore power?