Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2018, 06:05 PM   #1

New here. I'm trying to find information about windshields in a '06 Hurricane

OK, I have a '06 Four Winds Hurricane model 33H. Last fall we had a bird strike on the windshield and it broke one side (driver). After months of searching for used we broke down and contacted our insurance and filed a claim on the damaged glass. I searched the web looking for a company to replace them and it became a headache. Finally my insurance adjuster found a company that would come out and replace the glass. We opted for both sides and a new gasket installed. Cost was just under $5k.

The glass company came out the first time to evaluate the job (after getting bid and my deductible) and the guy claimed he normally turns down jobs like this. That started the whole thing going down hill. I had to get back to adjuster and glass company to get a second visit when they were supposed to install it. One guy showed up and said his partner was coming with the glass and they would install it. That was around 3:00 pm in the afternoon and they needed to be back to their shop by 5:00 for quitting time. Anyway, his partner showed up with the glass and she might have weighed 100 lbs soaking wet. It became obvious she couldn't handle the glass so they left to come back the following week with a different partner to install the glass. Of course, they were busy and would come back when their other jobs were done. We then had words about that since I obviously wasn't a priority customer.

They came back the following week around 1:30 pm and started the install. They were having problems getting the glass in and told me the motorhome opening wasn't cut right. Again a excuse. At 4:00 pm they said they were done and left telling me cleanup was on me. It was a mess, the soap they used took some of the coloring off the gasket and it ran all over the front of the motorhome and the glass. They had me sign the work order but wouldn't give me a copy. According to insurance adjuster they wrote no warranty on the ticket.

OK, so here is my dilemma. The glass was still sticking out on one side and was not properly installed. I had a retired glass man come out and he showed me that the whole installation was off center to the left about 1/4 inch or so. We took a couple of suction cups and stuck them to the windshield and using nylon straps were able to winch and shift the glass back to center. It seemed like it was in like it should be. We thought we were good.

Forward to last weekend we decided to put some miles on it as a shake down cruise for an upcoming trip. The windshield popped out on the left side upper. We put it back in and again it looks like it is in place but after about 5 miles on the highway it worked itself out again.

I know these units had pop out issues in the past so I am asking if anyone has solved this problem. Right now about $4700. has been invested and we still can't use the unit.

I do not need advice about suing or any of that as we are working that angle already. I need the problem resolved and hoping someone here fixed their problems. I want to know what they did.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

What is your location? Perhaps someone can suggest a place to get it fixed correctly in your region. I'd suggest your insurance company stop payment on the job since it wasn't done right.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

What is your location? Perhaps someone can suggest a place to get it fixed correctly in your region. I'd suggest your insurance company stop payment on the job since it wasn't done right.
I am in the Kansas City area. I even went to the Thor dealer and tried to get them to do it. They gave me the name of a glass place in Independence Mo. and when I called they said they don't do RV's anymore.

FWIW, I recall finding this site right after we purchased this motorhome and I remember seeing threads going back to 2008 about windshield problems with these. I remarked to the wife that I was glad we didn't have those problems. I guess our luck ran out.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #4

Windshield

Fefanatic, I’m dealing with the same problem but on my Thor Mandalay 40D. Popping out, I had both windshields re-set with brand new gaskets. Two trips later and the top outside corner, passenger side is coming out again. Tried to enlist the help of the company that re set the windshields but can’t get them to call me back. So, an RV veteran suggested I contact RV Glass Solutions and they suggested I contact Fox Glass Services in Charlotte, North Carolina. So, this week or next week I plan to drive to Fox and se if they feel they can give me a permanent fix. If This pays off I’ll be glad to give you a holler back with details. But I’m intrigued by your use of suction cups to pull the windshield back in so I’m carefully going to give that a try tomorrow before I take it to get the yearly federal inspection done. So, good luck to you!
Thorma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane, windshield