Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2015, 07:37 AM   #1

New member, shopping for RV

I am very grateful for these forums as I do my research and visit dealers trying to make a very important and complex decision about my first RV purchase! Its fun but also stressful.

I would love comments about full wall slides. One of the MHs I am considering is a Thor ACE 29.3, which has a full wall slide.

Thanks in advance!
AnnBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2015, 08:02 AM   #2

I have a Windsport 34F with a full wall slide (driver's side). Close to the end of my warranty (1 year) I brought it in to CW for slide lubrication and they said they needed to replace the mechanism since it got stuck for them as they were extending it. I knew it was noisy which is why I wanted the slide maintenance thing. Anyway, it took 6 weeks to get the parts and is OK now although I have only used it a few times since.

The new 2015 Windsport has a 3 track system and a larger motor rather than the 2 track system on my current rig. The Thor district product manager says they upgraded because of all the problems. I asked the service writer at CW about Schwintek slides and his advice was that they were OK for smaller slides but not for larger ones with more weight.

I'm in the process of trading this coach for a Tuscany XTE so I won't get to see if the repair lasts, but my new coach has 3 smaller Schwintek slides so it looks like I am still in the game.
FlaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #3

Full slides

I saw a full slide in action today, and as you indicated, there was a three track mechanism, two on top and one on the bottom. I appreciate hearing about your experience. Cheers on your new Tuscany XTE!
AnnBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #4

I owned a 2013 Thor Palazzo with the full wall slide. Traded it because of the slide issue. You might pull up some of the Palazzo slide threads -plenty of them out there. I don't have a clue if the slide you are looking at is the same size or not.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:22 PM   #5

Went to the Tampa RV show and looked at both Miramar 34.3 and ACE 30.2 with full wall slide and 3 trax. Made them pull it in a and put it out on both. ACE slide is shorter because rv is shorter by 5 feet. ACE had no problem didn't seem to be struggling at all. Miramar sounded like it had weak batteries even though it was plugged in, it struggled to get the slide in and out.

I don't think any ACE is going to have an issue wit 3 Trax and it's smaller slides, definitely makes me wonder about the Miramar/Palazzo size full wall slide though unless something was wrong with the power on the Miramar.
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:35 AM   #6

FWIW, the slides on my 30.1 have no problems extending and retracting. They do tend to leave some wood shavings on the floor though. Perhaps that will go away in time...or get worse. lol

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:47 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2, AnnBR

Here is some information on a FWS from the company that developed the first slide systems.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
FWIW, the slides on my 30.1 have no problems extending and retracting. They do tend to leave some wood shavings on the floor though. Perhaps that will go away in time...or get worse. lol
That drip from the skylight will stop eventually too.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:53 PM   #9

Talking Rv buyer tips.

Don't pay more than NADA Retail for any motorhome. Some RV dealers start adding all the extras on top of the retail price, run don't walk out of those dealerships. I bought my last Motorhome from a dealer that was on consignment. It sold for close to trade in value, this is what you want.
If you have access to a credit union they will tell you what to pay for your new/ used purchase as mine does. Don't buy a motorhome if you can't afford the payments on a five or six year loan. You will get underwater too fast. You'll end up with no equity and even have to pay perhaps thousands to trade in or sell.

The first thing to look for is water leaks. Push on walls below windows if they move that's delamination, look out, almost impossible to fix. If the floor isn't solid it's water damaged, fixable but any dealer repairs are expensive. If you aren't a do it yourselfer, you'll end up spending thousands in maintenance on RV's. $100 an hour and more is the going rate, every fix is a one hour minimum usually.
inspector8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags