Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2017, 08:51 AM   #1

New Owner knows nothing

I've been reading so much on these forums and the people on here are soooo knowledgeable.
I have purchased a new Hurricane 34J and will be getting it in March (can't wait). I've never owned one and I'm not terribly handy. I do realize from reading that THERE WILL be issues. I should be able to handle some basic stuff as I'm somewhat handy with cars.
I'm worried I won't know enough about it's systems. How thorough are the Thor owner's manuals? Are there other resources I should check out for things like; Battery systems, generators, plumbing, general maintenance etc.
Thanks in advance.
Glynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2017, 11:38 AM   #2

There are some good boks out there on RV systems and maintenance. Even though you say you are not too handy, they will help you to explain your problem to others. There is also the possibility that the fix might be so simple that if you know which end of the screwdriver to hold, you might be able to do it yourself. An added benefit is that you will learn your systems and eventually be able to contribute to others problems.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:43 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
When you pick up your new MH, they will do a walk-through with you. Don't be afraid to use their time. Ask questions, and be comfortable before you leave.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
If you have the time and there is an RV park close by, spend 2 or 3 days there getting to know your new rig. After that, you will have LOTS of questions , so can I suggest writing them down as you come across them. Then a day spent back at the dealer's for an in-depth Q&A session. Don't worry if you haven't got all your cooking and other stuff in it yet, eat out or order in. It's mainly things like water, power, entertainment systems, leveling, awnings, etc. that you need to know about. No such thing as a dumb question, just go for it.
ps. see my signature re. RVers.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Thor Motor Coach owner's manuals are basically a grouping of the systems manuals (jacks, water heater, funace, inverter, etc). Not much else is included.

This is exactly what the DIY owner needs for most issues...however too many don't look in the book when there is an issue

Like said above, do a complete and thorough pre-delivery inspection. Check EVERYTHING and demand repairs BEFORE taking delivery. That way, you have the sales staff pushing with you for repair.

Most dealers do no repairs or fixes before sale...even things they break Unfortunately the onus is on the buyer. The RV is driven from the factory and even a new delivery can has issues.

This is common for all brands. And is the reason to buy from a reputable and even local dealer.

Best luck

P.S. Most all TMC slide drives are Schwintek style. These are different from all other type slide drives and provide unequaled space savings (no underfloor mechanicals). But, the owner MUST understand how they work or there will be problems. Because there are 2 motors (1 each end), they are power hungery...so, when moving the slide, ensure there is enough power (since the engine must be off, that's shore power or gennie running). You must press and hold the button for a full 3-5 seconds AFTER THE SLIDE STOPS to let the motors sync...listen for the tattle-tale "Whir-whirr" This does not harm the system.

We are not affiliated...we just LOVE our Thor build RV
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:19 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
No such thing as a dumb question. During your PDI walkthrough, take as much time as you need to understand the systems, it is your hard earned money that purchased it - a few hours of the dealers time during delivery is owed to you. Bring a legal sized notepad and write down things you find wrong.

Trust me when I say this...do your PDI walkthrough before you sign loan docs (assuming you financed it) and refuse delivery and signatures until everything is fixed. Hold your selling dealer accountable, do not let them sweet talk you into bringing it back later for repairs you found necessary during the PDI. Get everything in writing, a salesmans's word means nothing the next day. If you do have to ever leave your RV for service, get a firm commitment for completion in writing, go over all of the repairs a few times and get a copy of the repair order before you leave the RV there, call 3 or 4 times every day to check the status.

RV dealers are notoriously delinquent with their customer service skills, you have to babysit them every step of the way or you will be disappointed. Don't get me started about my selling dealer, lol.

Enjoy your new RV, be safe.
Agaveguy is offline   Reply With Quote