Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2015, 07:58 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"new" serrano 31x owner..tips? advice?

hey folks, been a long time since i lurked these boards! the wife and i just purchased a 2011 serrano 31x and i have been doing some research on it. we traded in our travel trailer hoping this would give a better travel experience for the kiddos. (6, 4, almost 2 yrs old). this will be our first modern motorhome and we have a trip planned for june to colorado. about 2800 miles round trip. this was planned when we still had the trailer, otherwise i would not be taking a new to me RV on such a long trip. with the MF7 engine and other components.. is there anything i should be wary of? any preventative measures to take? any tips on driving for mileage? we arent towing anything and i usually stay between 60 and 65 mph. we are really excited and a lil nervous about our new rig..to say the least! anyway, any advice is much appreciated!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2015, 08:31 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Before you start loading it up: pull out every drawer, open every cabinet, inspection panel and basement compartment. Use flashlight and see what is in there, water valves, fuses, black boxes, filters, water heater, furnace. Make notes on everything you find, if it has a sticker on it write down info. Amazing what you will find and how much time you will save if there is a problem down the road. With info from the stickers - go online and find manuals. Start building your tech library now. Don't wait till there is a problem.

Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:47 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great motor home. We also have the 31X which we purchased in 2011. We have had very few minor things go wrong. Mainly just Workhorse EPA recalls. I suggest that you go to the Workhorse website, enter your VIN number to see if the previous owner did the recalls (they help mileage and just about stop regenerations).

The only thing that frustrated me was the Carefree closing completely. One side wanted to stay open a 1/4 of an inch. Carefree provided a simple solution, email me if you have the problem.

I hope you enjoy the 31X as much as we do.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:06 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the suggestions! Good tips for sure. The PO was original owner and kept all the manuals. I will def do a sticker hunt before we head out and start a notebook. Have been calling with vin trying to find recalls and such. Will check website too.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:22 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Serrano 31x owner

Just read your post and was wondering how your trip went. I'm headed to Albuquerque, New Mexico in about a week and was wondering if there is anything that I need to be watching for on this RV. This will be my first long trip. I have been on some short 300-400 mile trips but never over a couple of days long. I will be dry camping some of the time and in RV parks some of the time so this should be interesting. I really don't know what to take to cook. I don't know whether I should use gas or charcoal to grill. I would think that gas would be easier. If you have any suggestion they would be gratefully appreciated.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:10 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey joebean. Our trip went great! I have been meaning to post about it, but life keeps getting in my way. The serrano did great in the mountains..only 2 times was i wanting more power. I averaged about 11.5 mpg with genset running whole time we were underway. That was driving 62/63 mph. I went to 65 once and mileage suffered. not sure what needs to be watched out for.. we had no issues. And there were some 14 hr days on the road..lol

As far as cooking, we generally try to keep it simple. Steaks are easy, so are pork chops. Grilled chicken..ok now im gettin hungry! I would suggest to keep in mind ur limited prep area. If u want tater salad, make it before trip..know what i mean? Let me know if u have any more questions..ill do what i can to help

Tags
advice, serrano