Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #1

KZ RV Club
New to towing

We just bought a 2013 Tuscany XTE and we have never towed before . We are looking at vechicles weighting just over 4000 Lbs . The logic being buying a vehicle as a full time vehicle instead of having two . We are not full time but spend the winters in Florida . This coach has the 360 hp Cumins just want to see what others think.

Thanks
Ken 2013 Tuscany XTE toad unsure
Kenc1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the new coach.

Are you asking about the coach's ability to tow that weight or for suggestions on what type of toad to buy?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #3

If your trying to decide on what vehicle to tow, google Motorhomes Dingy Towing Guide. It is a fairly compressive list of vehicles that can be towed and what, of any, special procedures are needed.
There is a separate guide for each model year.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #4

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Congrats on the new coach.

Are you asking about the coach's ability to tow that weight or for suggestions on what type of toad to buy?

Rick
I guess my concern is if I will have any problems towing that weight .
Thanks
Ken
Old 10-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #5

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
If your trying to decide on what vehicle to tow, google Motorhomes Dingy Towing Guide. It is a fairly compressive list of vehicles that can be towed and what, of any, special procedures are needed.
There is a separate guide for each model year.
Thanks Paul I have that list and we are deciding which to choose we thought instead of having two vehicles we would get one that we would use all the time . We are not full timers . Just thought we would save tha hassle of two vechicles . But I have a concern about that weight .
Thanks
Ken
Old 10-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't believe that you will have any problems towing 4000 lbs. Our Jeep Liberty is somewhere around 3700 lbs and we tow it behind a smaller, lighter and less powerful rig than what you have.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenc1325 View Post
We just bought a 2013 Tuscany XTE and we have never towed before . We are looking at vechicles weighting just over 4000 Lbs . The logic being buying a vehicle as a full time vehicle instead of having two . We are not full time but spend the winters in Florida . This coach has the 360 hp Cumins just want to see what others think.

Thanks
Ken 2013 Tuscany XTE toad unsure
Ken,

You will not have any problem towing a 4000 lbs TOAD. I tow a 3400 lbs Honda with a smaller RV and I do not know it is back there.

Happy RVing!
Jack
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #8

4000lbs is a no issue... but that is flat tow 4 wheels down. Using a flatbed or a dolly would obviously increase that weight... and that depends if you have a 5000 or 10000 pound hitch.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #9

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
4000lbs is a no issue... but that is flat tow 4 wheels down. Using a flatbed or a dolly would obviously increase that weight... and that depends if you have a 5000 or 10000 pound hitch.
Thank you being new to this that is nice to know we are going ahead with it .
Ken
Old 10-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #10

KZ RV Club
I have decided to go with the magnetic lights for the tow instead of wiring the vehicle . What experiences have others had . Do they damage the vehicle , will they stay on with out any problems .
Thanks
Ken
Old 10-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenc1325 View Post
I have decided to go with the magnetic lights for the tow instead of wiring the vehicle . What experiences have others had . Do they damage the vehicle , will they stay on with out any problems .
Thanks
Ken
Used magnetic lights when we used a tow dolly. They worked OK and did not damage the car. It did take some extra effort/time to set up and run the wire prior to and after towing.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #12

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Used magnetic lights when we used a tow dolly. They worked OK and did not damage the car. It did take some extra effort/time to set up and run the wire prior to and after towing.
Thanks for your comment I guess we will try them . I didn't like the idea of messing around with the vehicle.
Ken
Old 10-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #13

We had magnetic lights and they worked fine. Just a bit of time to get it set up.
We used hunks of felt under the magnets so nothing got scratched. If they are not totally clean, and also where they will rest, bits of this and that will wear on the paint.

Having the Wrangler (yes Jeep) wired as our second toad made things quite a bit simpler. Ask a few folks with toads. See how they are set up.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
We had a second wiring harness with it's own light bulbs that are installed into the vehicles tail light housing. This setup does not tamper with your existing wiring and is as easy to setup as plugging in the cable.

We towed my Saturn Vue (4200 lbs ish) with our Triton V10 5k hitch over the smokies with no issues.
patsikes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing