Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2014, 09:23 PM   #1

Smile Newbie looking for advice on Rv purchase class A

I have been reviewing lots of sites and see lots of concerns like too long / heavy for frame and gas or diesel? I am looking at vista vs Miramar vs. Fr. We are pretty sure the 1.5 baths is all good but we are not sure where to go from there. A lot of good concerns but very little data on the sites we have looked at asto which models are best?
A year or two old one may be good but even less certain how to tell if they are good since mileage is not indicator of use in many cases. I am pretty good at repairs and have some since for the technical side but am not finding much in the way of data except the size of some of the manufacturers. Any help on where or how to start would be good.
Robert62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2014, 06:05 AM   #2

Oh no, not another one of these threads. LOL.

IMO, I think it comes down to two factors:

- Money: How deep are your pockets. A nice DP will be quieter, and because of the air suspension will give you a more comfortable ride. They are also bigger and can haul more stuff. A DP is more a luxury whereas a gasser is more practical due to lower costs of running it and maintaining it. Both serve their purpose which is to take your home on the road.

- Usage: How often will you use it? Full time, every now and then, etc?....then it goes back to money because if you have money to spare and will only use it a few times a year...get the luxury one. If you want practical, get a nice gasser.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:09 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I believe Al's response above is absolutely correct. You have to be honest in how you are going to use it first.
Second if you only read the threads on here you will probably never buy a MH because people talk about all the problems but not about all the success or great times!
I am an engineer so I know about what you mean about looking at data but the best thing is to actually go and look at them. We found a dealer that actually had all the doors open on their MH's and we just went from one to the other looking at layouts and workmanship without a salesman hovering over us.
I originally wanted a diesel but I also knew I wanted bunk beds since we have a 6 year old. When he goes to bed we wanted to use the living area without worrying about waking him up or him sleeping on the couch right where we wanted to be at night. Since last year diesels and bunk beds were hard to find (of course the Forza came out this year with them) we went for the Vista 35B and absolutely love it. I have owned 2 other gassers already and had no problems so a third didn't bother me. Plus you can spend at least 50K and more for a diesel and that can buy a lot of gas!!
Sure the Vista isn't the most luxurious thing out there and you can see where they saved on money to make it reasonably priced for a MH but we liked the unit and except for a washer/dryer and a fireplace it has everything you could want or need. And yes the 1 1/2 bathrooms is a must especially when travelling with your better half!!!!!!
Then came about how we were going to use it. I am away from home a bit for work so we have it set up at a campground about 30 minutes from home and my wife and son use it all the time when I am away. It made more sense then it sitting in the driveway. When I am home we camp there plus make short trips for weekends ( a few hundred mile round trips) and maybe once a year a longer trip. So for us a gasser was just fine.
I guess I am kind of telling you all this because I am trying to reinforce how important it is to be honest to yourself on HOW you will use it. Everyone says oh I want it to tour the country but what is the percentage that really do?
Unless you go full time of course which is a different story. Then I would go diesel too. Which is more than likely what we will do when our son gets older and I retire.
Then it is a matter of personal taste and what you can afford. When looking at MH's don't forget to look at older ones. Doesn't matter if they are 2 or 10 years old you can get a glimpse on how a particular brand holds up or lasts. Too be honest that is what had me buy the Winnie over the Thor.

Sorry I might have went on a bit long here but I think you get what I am saying.
One other thing lol. Doesn't matter if you pay a million dollars for one make sure you have some extra money to outfit it!!! Can't have them old lounge chairs with a brand new RV now can you! Well that is what I told the wife at least......

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #4

Thanks for info I guess engineers all look at data. We are near retirement and will use it more. Great recomendation to look at older units to see how they last.
Robert62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:31 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LOL yes we love our numbers and stats.
Whatever you decide on just remember to enjoy yourselves. The world looks the same out of whatever windshield you buy!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, newbie, purchase, advice