RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2018, 08:06 PM   #1

Opinions on Thor Aria

I "almost" love the Aria 3601. I'm not too happy with the electric induction stove and the 12"6" height seems unnecessary as I wasn't planning on hauling a lot of freight.

I'd very much appreciate opinions from "those in the know". Enough engine? Good chassis? Reliable brand? Is there a more reliable brand with the same floor plan at a similar price, etc?

Quick reference here:

www.thormotorcoach.com/aria/floor-plans/3601/

Craneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2018, 08:21 PM   #2

Chassis will be fine, engine adequate.

V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I don't know anything about that coach but wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:25 PM   #4

Really like the 3901 floor plan and is one of the upgrade candidates from our gasser.
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:01 PM   #5

We've had our 3901 for nearly a year. It was at the dealer for 4 of the first 6 months we owned it. Mostly because dealer over books and doesn't follow through on getting things done. There were quite a few small things that needed fixed right of the box. Now that we have really had some time to use it, I love it, and can barely remember the stuff that was wrong with it.
Mike
Old 08-12-2018, 11:01 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Same issues and results as Mnoel. Fit and finish not the same quality as our previous Winnebego. The king bed is a plus. Only negative is bedroom slide has to be extended to sleep making pulling into reststops etc. for quick nap problematic.
Trokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:15 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I've been keeping an eye on these new entries by Thor (Aria as well as Venetian) & make notes as I come across posts. Water intrusion in bays seems to be a common problem. Low chassis battery light coming on is another. Early on in the Aria's release, member owners reported lots of issues requiring lots of time at the dealer for fixes. Hopefully, 2 years into model production, most of those bugs have been worked out by the factory.

I'd use the Google search near the top of the page to flush out prior threads on the Aria's.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:53 AM   #8

Good info folks, thanks and please keep it coming.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:03 PM   #9

I love their floorplans, but seems like lots of issues (water in storage bays is completely unacceptable at that price point imo). Every time I think Id give them a chance, I look at a used newmar or other and realize there is quite a bit of difference in how they are out together (flush mount slides for example...acs mounted on top and run like a home Hvac system...hung wall construction)
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:04 AM   #10

"Was at the dealer for 4 of the first 6 months we owned it."

Slightly (but not too much) off-topic and apologize for my rant...

It's stunning to me that we would spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a motorhome and then tolerate a dealer keeping it for months to fix the stuff that could have been done properly at the factory.

We already know the sticker prices on new RV's are grossly inflated and then sales agreements are padded with additional surcharges. THEN, we get jerked around by service departments who don't know anything/care about anything.

I have a friend who bought a new Fleetwood Bounder. His first trip was back to the factory to get everything fixed on it that wasn't working. In his words, "but they sure treated us nice when we showed up in Indiana."

Can you imagine buying a new Toyota or Chevy and having the dealer keep it for its first four months to fix it?

What is wrong with these companies? What's wrong with us for accepting this?
Fairfieldwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:40 PM   #11

As a Venetian owner I will say that Thor in many way's is not ready for prime time in their upper lever Diesel coaches. If the designers had spent any time in one of the coaches they would know that as delivered a Thor upper lever DP has way too many issues due to design incompetence. For instance Furnace systems that result in frozen utility compartments when the temperature drops into the 20's. Bathroom designs where you can't take a shower without hitting the shower control, and scalding or freezing yourself. Entertainment centers that take days to figure out and then require daily resetting. In the case of Aria's having no prewiring for satellite systems ( as of June 2017 this was the case). As delivered be prepared to have the air conditioning water drainage run right (Thor DP's do not have a rooftop side drain rail) in the entry door and outside entertainment center areas. Washing machines that will try and beat themselves to death when in the spin cycle. Leaking basement storage areas.
I'm going to be able to live long term with our Venetian and considering the deal I got on it no long term regrets. At the time we bought the Venetian we were looking for an Aria 3901 and as far as I can tell the deals on the Aria's aren't in the same league. A tag axle Cummins ISL 8.9 equipped T42 for less money than a 3901 says it all.
Frankly our previous Bounder 35k was much better thought out in many ways then our Venetian is.

After a few trips to the service center and a few mod's of my own the Venetian is becoming what I would expect a coach in this price range to be we really enjoy the time in the coach and the way it drives, but WOW it sure did have some aggravating issues.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:00 AM   #12

Aria 3601

We have a 3601 with 15K miles, and are very happy with it. It took my wife a little while to get use to the induction cooktop, but enjoys cooking on it now. We just got back from a 3,000 mile trip through South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana, and it ran great with no problems in the mountains. We did have storage bay leakage, so we took it to the factory service center and they replaced the seals around the doors. I added more caulk and foam, and the bays are dry now. For 2019 I read that the doors have been redesigned with some other small improvements. If you buy from a dealer make sure everything works, and all issues are taken care of before leaving the lot. We looked at three other brands, but decided on the ARIA, because we thought we got the most bang for the buck. We constantly get compliments about the design and color scheme (Sterling).
Teblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:27 AM   #13

I actually had a phone conversation with Adam Gudger about the new doors/seals for 2019 a few months ago. Interesting that in none of the new videos Thor has put out on the Arias is there any mention of that improvement.
Mccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:00 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wouldn't that be admitting they had a problem to begin with?

paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor