Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #1

Outlaw Class C 29H

Looking at a Class C 29H Outlaw and was wondering on the sleeping arrangement since there is no dedicated bedroom. Does the sofa in the living area make a comfortable bed. I'm not sure I that keen to climbing in the overhead bunk, also I know there's the garage for sleeping but if you have a Harley in that area it limits the sleeping. Any info or pictures of the sofa bed would be appreciated.
take 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

iRV2 is rather big, and the Outlaw 29H is a somewhat new model, so you might seek individuals by PM...see the owner's list here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/list...rs-280110.html

My take on the sleeping arrangements in the 29H are that the cab-over loft (54"x96") is exactly like any Class C. It requires a level of fitness to easily access. The sofa-sleeper (54"x68") is easier, but has to be made-up each night and morning to use the Salon.

The garage has the option of 2 jack knife benches but no drop-down bunk, so unlike the Class A Outlaw, the garage would need to be unloaded to use as a bedroom...obviously doable, but probably not for the primary sleeping spot.

To us, the 29H is awesome with a great price point...If the Class C had been available a few years back, we would have had one. But with the market lacking an affordable motorized Toy hauler, we struggled through with towables until getting the Class A.
Our Class A Outlaw has no dedicated bedroom either, and we use and LOVE OUR LOFT! It's always clean and quiet - no foot traffic through the RV with no one dropping gear on the bed...YMMV.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:22 AM   #3

Thanks, I guess the sofa may be ok, the garage would also be on option, but if you stop for only one night or weather is rainy you may not want to unload the garage. I have a toy hauler trailer presently but wanted to get away from towing if possible.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:45 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yep, the "loft" concept puts-off a lot of people...so much that TMC agreed and dropped the loft-only 3611/37LS model like ours, after establishing the 37RB with dedicated bedroom.

The BEST part of these RV's beside the ability to dump the toy-trailer is that after unloading, the garage becomes a multi-purpose room with the ramp hung as a party deck! You should see the traffic we get at campgrounds while we sit on the deck enjoying a beverage...up off the ground

If you get the 29H hope you share all about it.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by take 5 View Post
Looking at a Class C 29H Outlaw and was wondering on the sleeping arrangement since there is no dedicated bedroom. Does the sofa in the living area make a comfortable bed. I'm not sure I that keen to climbing in the overhead bunk, also I know there's the garage for sleeping but if you have a Harley in that area it limits the sleeping. Any info or pictures of the sofa bed would be appreciated.
I just bought the 2017 29H. We haven't used it yet but as soon as we do, I can send pictures and review of sofa bed.
careyj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by careyj1 View Post
I just bought the 2017 29H. We haven't used it yet but as soon as we do, I can send pictures and review of sofa bed.
Sounds great, look forward to the pictures, interested how that sofa bed does and how much room it has
Old 12-04-2016, 09:45 PM   #7

Versatility of the 29h

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150528_105341[1].jpg
Views:	156
Size:	436.2 KB
ID:	145999

Versatility of the 29h

A couple of photos. On one the rear deck is deployed along with the overhead canopy. We have the optional bug screen in the back. Really great air flow through the coach with the back and side door open.

In the top photo ready to head out with the jeep wrangler being flat towed.

On some trips we take two motorcycles with us in addition to the jeep.

We were able to get pretty decent financing on the 29h. I wanted to stay below 500 a month and we were able to do that. I recently looked at a 2015 class A outlaw but couldn't get them to to deal. I would have been at 790 a month which was too much.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150330_155757[1].jpg
Views:	168
Size:	474.9 KB
ID:	145998
MrZip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:18 AM   #8

Looks great! Just curious do you sleep on the sofa bed and is it comfortable? I know it has to be made up, but if you have a dedicated bedroom that has to be made also. Not sure I want to climb up in the overhead bed, sleeping area in the garage but if you don't unload probably not much room. Also where did you buy yours, I'm in Illinois and not many dealers stock the 29H. I also looked at a 2013 Class A outlaw dealer is asking 99K, just really don't want to spend that on a used unit. I could live better with the Class C. I have a Harley Ultra that would probably fit in just their fine.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:10 PM   #9

I love the over cab sleeping area. The bed is huge (queen size) and I have a window right by my head also a fantastic fan over the sleeping area. If it's really hot two of the central ducts let nice cool A/C out in the area. The TV is on a swivel arm and fold in nicely at the foot of the bed and is perfect for watching before falling asleep. Yes, you do have to be careful at night when you have to pee, but I've got that down. Now my wife wants to be on ground level so she uses the sofa sleeper, but we have a piece of foam we put down at night with a comforter so she just sleeps on the sofa and does not open it up.

We normally have two medium size bikes in the garage A 650 enduro and a 700 standard. If we're going to be set up somewhere for a few days. The bikes will be outside and my wife will fold down one of the bench sofas for sleeping. She likes the garage area as it has it's own A/C fantastic fan and TV. When the bikes are out you don't even know it's a garage.

Sleeping more then 2 with the bikes on board could be a bit tight, but 2 people work fine. The class A, adds a lot more sleeping space but I wasn't going to put myself into a budget hole to acquire it.
MrZip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZip View Post
I love the over cab sleeping area. The bed is huge (queen size) and I have a window right by my head also a fantastic fan over the sleeping area. If it's really hot two of the central ducts let nice cool A/C out in the area. The TV is on a swivel arm and fold in nicely at the foot of the bed and is perfect for watching before falling asleep. Yes, you do have to be careful at night when you have to pee, but I've got that down. Now my wife wants to be on ground level so she uses the sofa sleeper, but we have a piece of foam we put down at night with a comforter so she just sleeps on the sofa and does not open it up.

We normally have two medium size bikes in the garage A 650 enduro and a 700 standard. If we're going to be set up somewhere for a few days. The bikes will be outside and my wife will fold down one of the bench sofas for sleeping. She likes the garage area as it has it's own A/C fantastic fan and TV. When the bikes are out you don't even know it's a garage.

Sleeping more then 2 with the bikes on board could be a bit tight, but 2 people work fine. The class A, adds a lot more sleeping space but I wasn't going to put myself into a budget hole to acquire it.
I agree with you on the Class A, I really don't need that much room or price. Usually just 2 of us when we go, and if grand kids go we leave the bike at home so we would have the garage area. I would think the sofa bed would be ok opened up if you add a memory foam to it. Thanks for the info, I'll be going to the RV shows in January and February to take a look, presently I have no dealers close that have any in stock but they supposedly have them ordered.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZip View Post
Attachment 145999

Versatility of the 29h

A couple of photos. On one the rear deck is deployed along with the overhead canopy. We have the optional bug screen in the back. Really great air flow through the coach with the back and side door open.

In the top photo ready to head out with the jeep wrangler being flat towed.

On some trips we take two motorcycles with us in addition to the jeep.

We were able to get pretty decent financing on the 29h. I wanted to stay below 500 a month and we were able to do that. I recently looked at a 2015 class A outlaw but couldn't get them to to deal. I would have been at 790 a month which was too much.
Attachment 145998
We're looking at the 29H as well. Found a few 2017s nearby and a few new 2016s within a reasonable drive. Are you generally happy with the unit overall? Also trying to gauge what a fair price would be.
Fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:24 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by careyj1 View Post
I just bought one, too, pick up on Friday and might be using as early as this weekend..

Kathy J.
Bikrgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:39 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
We're looking at the 29H as well. Found a few 2017s nearby and a few new 2016s within a reasonable drive. Are you generally happy with the unit overall? Also trying to gauge what a fair price would be.

MSRP for the 2017 29H starts at $116,050...but few experienced buyers pay that.

Options are few (comes with most everything standard) and most all options will probably all be ordered by the dealer, are:
Power driver's seat, Heat Pads for waste tanks, Garage door Bug Screen, Powered roof vent fan, and opposing flip/fold garage bench/bunks.

Your negotiations could start at around $87,000 (about 25% off MSRP). Year-end deals or dealer demonstrator models should be offered at lower price. But about mileage...remember, each coach is driven to the dealer (not trailered). Anyone wanting a low mileage Outlaw MUST go to Total Value RV* in Elkhart (odometer readings for that dealership will start at about 100miles) because factory pick-up in not offered.

Best luck

* We are not affiliated.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikrgrrl View Post
I just bought one, too, pick up on Friday and might be using as early as this weekend..

Kathy J.
Please let me know any tips or tricks after you use it. We might take it out for a night this weekend depending on the weather.

Best regards,

Jamie
careyj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c