RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2019, 01:39 PM   #2577

Here is some more renewal of my 2008 OTL. When I got it all 4 rainwater gutter spouts were broken off, sun and impact damaged. I finally got around to replacing the front ones last spring. This week I finally replaced the rear ones, Camco brand. On my big summer trip the old Eternabond tape over the rear corners was also starting to come loose, I temp fixed those with some Gorilla tape (good stuff btw). Here is the right rear before I fixed it this week. You can see the black goop that collects on the old broken spout, embarrassingly ugly [IMG][/IMG]

Here is the repair. I added the new spouts, replaced the Eternabond tape and replaced all the caulk along the bottom of the raingutter. This fall I will redo the caulk above the raingutter and replace the old sun damaged molding above the gutter. I have already replaced the white moldings above the awning and around the entry door. It's amazing how much better these white coaches look with these subtle replacements of old sun-damaged parts. Later today I am off to Nebraska hauling my Smart car for 3-4 weeks of Husker culture
[IMG][/IMG]

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2019, 08:20 AM   #2578

toilet

Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for. Elongated bowl.

ScottnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:47 PM   #2579

So the question of the day is what do you do about your fresh water tank maintaince? How often do you drain it. Inquiring minds and all that.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:38 PM   #2580

Hi Mike. I just did this last week, usually once a year or so. The RV Geeks made a good video about this:

I also used some tips from here from the owner of the Dallas Cowboys
Old 09-25-2019, 01:20 AM   #2581
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bachman View Post
So the question of the day is what do you do about your fresh water tank maintaince? How often do you drain it. Inquiring minds and all that.
Hey Mike!

SoCal member to SoCal member...there is little to nothing to worry about as long as you keep your fresh water tank full of SoCal tap water.

As those in this part of our beautiful country are well aware (the politicians tell us over and over) our water comes mostly from the "American River" (AKA Mulholland's aquaducts) origins in the beautiful Sierra Nevada mountains snow melt...Delta Smelt be damned.

The water is treated and re-treated on it's way here...then treated again in our reservoirs.

This treatment adds years to the water's lifespan in a clean and sun protected tank.

The only time in the almost 10 years we have had our Outlaw, was after a long trip to central Texas. We filled the tank there which is typically a mix of wells and river water. We just dumped and refilled from the tap once we got home.

Safe Outlaw Travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:25 AM   #2582
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottnKat View Post
Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for. Elongated bowl.
ScottnKat,
If you do change the toilet, please take a few photos of the bare floor, then after the new unit is installed...that would make a great addition to the how-to's here
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:56 PM   #2583

Jeff and Steve,

Thank you very much. I’ve only drained it once and that was when I first got it. At that point I just added a touch of bleach when I refilled it. The tank looks clean and the water taste and smells fine, so I guess I’m still doing OK.

Safe travels!!
Old 10-08-2019, 05:40 AM   #2584

This mod sucks

So I have been making minor changes to the new to me 2104 LS. I thought I would share this one since because it worked out so well. I added a Bissell Garage Pro wet dry vac to the wall of the garage. It tucks out of the way nicely and the hose is long enough to reach the entire coach. It has great suction and the blower works well to clean the garage. The LS has the convenient plug for the washer and dryer right there so simple install. It does require shore power to be connected or the gen but only takes 5 min to clean the whole coach. Umm you may need to turn your head sideways to see the pic because I don't know how to rotate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vac.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	352.2 KB
ID:	262915  
Nyrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:15 AM   #2585

Nice. I bet that really does suck, prolly the suckiest mod in this thread.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:07 AM   #2586

More Power

I dumpster dived the scrap bins at work and came up with a nice stainless tray, some Maytec extrusions and 1" alum angle and added a second battery tray and 2 more Crown CG-205's now have 410 AH at 12V and room to double that if needed. The Maytec extrusion spans across the frame menbers and I shot 5/16 stainless studs and used angle brackets to fasten it. I also shot a stud in the bottom of the tray to go in an existing frame hole and 2 more studs to add the plate on the front. Excluding batteries total cost with cables was under $40. Also added EzBatterycheck watering system caps with water level monitors to all the batteries that added another $40 but will makeing checking water levels easy enough that I will actually do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191018_143451.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	264391  
Nyrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:32 PM   #2587

I need to add some fluid to my radiator expansion tank. This is the first time I've had to do this, or it's been done by the people who service it. The liquid in there now is orange. Before I just add water, does anyone have any idea what that might be? I'm assuming it's some form of antifreeze.

Also I found that the engine's air filter box has only one of three clips holding it together. One is missing, one is broken and I can't tell about the third one. The clips are on order, but it looks like a pain to put them on assuming that their attachment points are still in good condition. Has anyone had to do that? This may be a job for the service shop.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:09 PM   #2588

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bachman View Post
I need to add some fluid to my radiator expansion tank. This is the first time I've had to do this, or it's been done by the people who service it. The liquid in there now is orange. Before I just add water, does anyone have any idea what that might be? I'm assuming it's some form of antifreeze

For a Workhorse the proper Antifreeze is Dexcool and yes it is orange.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:32 PM   #2589

On my trip to Nebraska last month, my generator would not start. After researching and a can of Seafoam, I decided to replace the carburetor when I got home. There are some good Youtube videos on this, so I was able to do this myself. After installing the new carb https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1, I let it run for 2 hours and it worked perfectly

I then took my OTL for a drive for its monthly exercise and discovered it had developed an engine coolant leak. Back to the forums for more research. At first I was thinking it was the engine water pump, but with further investigation I found a small hole in the heater hose that runs from the thermostat housing to the defective Evans valve.

So I ordered some new heater hose, will try to install this soon with my son's help. It has very tight access thru the doghouse, I think we'll need to remove the air intake tube to reach the thermostat housing.
My research also led me to buy a new 180* thermostat to install while we're at it.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My dash heater has never worked, but I really needed it when I was driving back from Nebraska last month in cold weather. I wore 2 pairs of socks, but my feet were still cold while driving for 2 days. I'm sure it is the bad Evans valve, so I'm deciding what to do about that. I really don't want to buy a new one for over $200, especially since I rarely need the heater.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:54 PM   #2590

While waiting on my Amazon goodies to arrive, I have been sprucing up the OTL garage. I found this nice dry-erase self-adhesive map at Home Depot for less that $20. I think it will be nice to plot current travels on it.
[IMG][/IMG]

I also hung this sign. I saw it at a truckstop in New Mexico, but felt they wanted too much for it. So I checked Amazon, and acquired it for half the price of the truckstop.
[IMG][/IMG]

Tags
outlaw