RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2019, 09:48 AM   #2591

Scott,

Thanks for the info. That stuff was easy to find.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2019, 10:34 PM   #2592

OK, so I finished my work on my OTL, so I could race up to the Mogollon rim to camp a few days before the huge rain and snow storms arrived.

Here is the hole in the heater hose that caused the coolant leak. The hose routes from near the thermostat housing to the defective Evans valve in front of the radiator, about 3.5 feet. The hole was at the highest point of the hose arc, so was hard to locate. I couldn't access the hose clip thru the doghouse opening, so I had to remove the entire doghouse shroud (about 12 screws), which kind of messed up my new carpet job there.

While I had access there I decided to replace the upper radiator hose and the thermostat with a new 180 degree one. (Thanks to Kevin Caudill for his very helpful videos on the Workhorse chassis.)I also shined up the engine again. The second photo shows where the troubled hose attaches. It took a few days of bending, stretching, cursing, and bending over on hands and knees to get these small jobs done, but now the rig is ready to roll again.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-20-2019, 10:58 PM   #2593

The other fix I needed to do was to get heat from the dash heater. I did a ton of research on this problem in iRV2, and now I have gained a much better understanding of how the HVAC system works in my Workhorse coach. Thanks to "007" for a simple, effective and inexpensive solution to my problem A/C Questions
I just removed the old Evans valve and placed in a brass ball valve from Home Depot. I warmed up the engine, opened the valve and viola, instant heat from the dash heater. I really enjoyed having the heat the last few days in Rim country.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-21-2019, 04:54 PM   #2594

Damon Owners Club
Dash Fuses / LCI Leveling Fuse

Hey gang!
My LCI leveling system just decided to quit. I checked the fuse in the engine compartment and all the connections seem fine. Anyone know if there is another fuse that supplies power to the control console on the dash? It no longer turns on so I'm thinking that is the issue... but I have no idea where that fuse would be. Does anyone know?
Wes847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:09 AM   #2595
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes847 View Post
Hey gang!
My LCI leveling system just decided to quit. I checked the fuse in the engine compartment and all the connections seem fine. Anyone know if there is another fuse that supplies power to the control console on the dash? It no longer turns on so I'm thinking that is the issue... but I have no idea where that fuse would be. Does anyone know?
The LCI leveling system basically has three bits. All three have separate power, but the system is dead if missing any part.

The biggest bit...
The pump, valves and jacks are fed power by a big breaker in the large cable going to it. This is the most complex part, but can be controlled manually with an Allen wrench on the solenoids and a jumper cable or power drill if the motor is dead.

Then...
The dash control is fed power at a wire inside the harness/pigtail.
If it lights up in any manner, the power is there, so the problem isn't power.

And finally...
The main brain (mounted on the ceiling and inside a cross-thru bin) is fed power inside/part of the wire harness...this power is probably coming from the dash controller.

Get the troubleshooting guide out and follow the steps to diagnose issues.

Diagnosis beyond the troubleshooting guide gets complex quick...personal experience.
Linked on the first page:
Lippert Leveling Jack Intermittent Outage

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:59 AM   #2596

Adding 2 more 6 volt batteries without adding a 2nd shelf

I figured out a way to fit four 6 volt batteries to a gen-1 3611 without adding a second shelf.

1. Remove the mounting bolts for the hydraulic leveling pump and move it to the far left, drill new holes and bolt it down.

2. Remove the circuit breakers and re-mount them on the horizontal cross brace.

3. Remove the battery separators that are spot welded to the floor by grinding the spot welds, make sure no sharp edges are present afterwards. I painted the floor to prevent rust. Now you have a flat area that will fit the 4 batteries.

You can still access the pump fluid if need be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191104_102516.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	267663   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191104_142029.jpg
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	267664  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191104_150330.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	267665   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191104_150314.jpg
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	267666  

Old 11-23-2019, 09:37 AM   #2597

That looks really good, Rob. But I can't tell where the location is on your coach. My 1st gen 3611 OTL has the batteries under the entry stairs and the leveling pump is 20 feet behind it in its own little basement bin near the back end.

I wish my leveling pump was in a large bin like yours, because having it in that tiny bin makes it difficult to access, even just to add fluid.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:17 AM   #2598

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
That looks really good, Rob. But I can't tell where the location is on your coach. My 1st gen 3611 OTL has the batteries under the entry stairs and the leveling pump is 20 feet behind it in its own little basement bin near the back end.

I wish my leveling pump was in a large bin like yours, because having it in that tiny bin makes it difficult to access, even just to add fluid.
Hey Jeff, my battery compartment is on the driver side, just behind the front wheel.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:32 PM   #2599

Huh, that's weird. You say your OTL is gen 1, what year is it? You should list that in your sig line, so then people will know. Thanks Rob.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:56 AM   #2600
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Huh, that's weird. You say your OTL is gen 1, what year is it? You should list that in your sig line, so then people will know. Thanks Rob.
Rob has a 2013...that is the transition year from Gen1 to Gen2.
List of Outlaw Owners

Me thinks it is more a 37LS than a 3611. Those batteries and leveling pump/solenoid unit are obviously in a bin...not under the entry Stair and under the hood like our Gen1's have.

The obvious floor plan change, 3611 to 37LS was with the sofa sleeper...the 3611 has the sofa aligned so the fold-up bed can be fully open with the slide in (retracted)...it's frame is touching the kitchen cabinet, but fully opens.
The 37LS moved bits which prevent this, with too much overlap to fully deploy the sleeper sofa with slide in.

Safe Outlaw Travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-02-2019, 01:28 PM   #2601

Thanks for the clarification, Steve. So is your leveling pump under the hood? Mine is in its own little basement bin, passenger side near the rear. And like I said, that little bin sure makes is difficult to access for service.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:49 PM   #2602
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, Steve. So is your leveling pump under the hood? Mine is in its own little basement bin, passenger side near the rear. And like I said, that little bin sure makes is difficult to access for service.
Yep. Leveling pump/tank/solenoid unit is forward of, and below the face of the radiator in the '07...and powered off the engine battery.

That set-up provides maximum juice for leveling with the engine running (shortest 12VDC leads possible), makes servicing a breeze, and does not use valuable bin space...BUT puts the pump unit in the elements while driving. Always thought there should be a shroud or cover on the forward side of it.

The small aft passenger bin (middle one behind the wheel well) on the '07 is a blank. Always thought that spot would be perfect for a set of 4 deep cells on a slide. We don't boondocking enough to do the upgrade, but maybe someday

Safe Outlaw travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-02-2019, 04:15 PM   #2603

That small basement bin that contains my leveling pump does not have a medial wall, so it is still somewhat open to the elements there, too. Especially dust. And mine has developed a small leak from the fittings where the hoses connect to the pump. Can't get a wrench in there because it is against the aft bin wall. The combo of oil and dust make for a very messy recipe.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:53 AM   #2604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Rob has a 2013...that is the transition year from Gen1 to Gen2.
List of Outlaw Owners

Me thinks it is more a 37LS than a 3611. Those batteries and leveling pump/solenoid unit are obviously in a bin...not under the entry Stair and under the hood like our Gen1's have.

The obvious floor plan change, 3611 to 37LS was with the sofa sleeper...the 3611 has the sofa aligned so the fold-up bed can be fully open with the slide in (retracted)...it's frame is touching the kitchen cabinet, but fully opens.
The 37LS moved bits which prevent this, with too much overlap to fully deploy the sleeper sofa with slide in.

Safe Outlaw Travels

So maybe mine is a 37LS ? You know more than I do about them but mine says 3611 on the side of it. Would the VIN number help identify it?

Tags
outlaw