Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2014, 07:30 AM   #505

Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
We are picking up Vicap's (or should I say she is delivering) portable solar panel next month but I would be very interested in the details of your solar install. Do you have any photos? What kind of cost did you end up at? How many watts?

Scott,

Here is a link to the "core" kit we bought. From there we added a 100 watt panel. They now have 160 watts available (getting more watts per square inch every year!).
SunRunner 45 amp/4 ga._RV Solar System Core

Sorry, I don't have any pictures handy right now.

The cost for the components is pretty much what you see on the web site. AM Solar isn't the cheapest, but they provide good technical support. I think their web site is pretty helpful. I'm not a DIYer in most things, so I had it shipped to my local RV shop and then AM Solar sort of trained that shop. They did well, but forgot to install the battery temp sensor - I need to have them resolve that...

Initially, I simply wanted to solve the problem of our conventional batteries draining during weeks in outside storage (no elec hookup nearby). Naturally, you don't need a big system to keep batteries kind of fresh. But, As I researched a bit, I realized we'd have to install some core components (controller, the core wiring from roof to system, etc.). I didn't want to put a real small system in place and then have to rip it out later.

My concept was to buy/install a fairly heavy duty core kit, capable of several panels (eventually). I think our kit can manage up to 600 watts. But, I wasn't ready to fill the roof with panels, so we've only installed one so far. We like to dry camp, so maybe we'll add a few more panels later. Its done a good job of tending to the batteries in storage and giving us a bit extra charge, without gen, while dry camping.
tr21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2014, 07:35 AM   #506

DD,

I'm impressed/jealous of your system! We have "plans" to add a few more panels and a couple more batteries some day...

How long have you been able to "camp", off shore power, without running the gennie?

Very nice!
tr21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #507

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is really great stuff Mike and I appreciate all the information. I think in the next year or so if we get good use with Vicap's system but want more I may have to step up.
I guess the real gauge will be how much dry camping we do this year and if there is any reason to want more then the portable solar before I decide if we need to spend additional $$.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #508
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So don't laugh...but I have a portable 45Watt Kit from Harbor Freight. This kit allows me to work with fewer batteries when dry camping. And it was so much cheaper than built-in kits. And I can park the RV in shaded areas...with the solar out in the sun. Plus it stows when the RV is in storage.

It was the kit style sold before this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/solar-p...tt-68751.html#

I have seen preppers use several of these kits to make a network.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #509

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Solar Powersystem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr21r View Post
DD,
I'm impressed/jealous of your system! We have "plans" to add a few more panels and a couple more batteries some day...

How long have you been able to "camp", off shore power, without running the gennie?

Very nice!
My solar system was installed by AM Solar in Springfield OR in 2008. My RV was the first Outlaw they worked on. System includes: 4 six volt Lifeline GPL-6CT 300 Amp Hour AGM House Batteries, HPV-30DR Solar Charge Controller and Monitor, Magnum ME-RC Remote Control, 4 BP Solar AM 100 Solar Panels (with tilt option) and a Magnum Energy MS 200 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

The duration of dry camping without using the generator depends upon your need for luxury and the use of electricity for lites, radios, flat screen, fans, elec blankets, blow dryers, curling irons, plugged in electronic's (tooth brush, PCs, cell's) use. It also depends upon when you go to bed. If you are gone during the day and sky is sunny, your batteries can easily recharge from use the night before. If your batteries do get dangerously low, the generator is a good backup to recharging them.

I have gone dry camping without the need of the generator for weeks exercising water conservation. It's a matter of getting back to basics and a challenge for many. Propane can keep food cold and frozen. Wood and propane can heat your water, cook your food and provide light. Think pioneer and Boy Scout.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #510

2014.5 LS mods

In this pic u will see the 90 degree coaxial fitting as opposed to the cable sticking straight out. You will notice the tv plug is out of receptacle. That's because when it's plugged in it steals sound from the radio. Not sure why, it just does. Only plug it in when in use. Above the tv u will notice a spectacular antenna for the radio. The wire they provide at factory was useless this one rocks. $45 can be mounted just about anywhere. We use a lot of heavy duty Velcro, you will notice top right of tv, the remote nicely secured w ultra Velcro.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #511

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not seeing any photos :(

If you need help posting photos I have a great thread on my Ducati site that can provide help here: posting pictures in your message - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
Old 04-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #512

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I took the plunge and ordered two Lifeline GPL-6CT batteries today. Going to lower the house battery holder 3" to make them fit and then smile when I no longer have to clean up the off gassing acid that seems to be so constant with my flooded batteries.
Not smiling about the cost but... There is a 10% off coupon available online from Batteries+ so the cost was only $323 each shipped to the local store, a $70 savings on the two batteries.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:15 PM   #513

Scott, you'll love those batteries, and that's an awesome price, I wish I had looked at Batteries+ I would have got 4!
Old 04-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #514

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The batteries are now installed. Here are a couple of photos of the modified mount:

Old 04-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #515
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
NICE!!!
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #516

Very Pro looking. Nice job.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #517

Now that's a battery!
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #518
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Factory or not?

Saw a 2012 3611 that had:

Click image for larger version

Name:	img_2672.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	61083

Name:	img_2671.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	61084

A folding shelf under the main TV and...

Name:	img_2676.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	61085
Microwave under the cooktop.

Anyone know, are these owner mods or ?

Here: Lakewood, NJ - Used Class A - Gas - 2012 Thor Outlaw For sale in Lakewood, NJ - RVs.com

We couldn't live with the white upholstery, but I bet someone likes it
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV

Tags
outlaw