Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2014, 06:34 AM   #715

I asked THor about having the rear awning added to a 2014 and they said that it cant be done because the 2015 rear cap is different. They said they shortened the door (Ramp) and moved camera and lights. The way they explained it is that the rear is totally different even though it may not look to different at a quick glance.
Evileyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #716
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Evileyes,

With your first post,

Hope you tell us all about your Outlaw.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #717
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ramp Awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evileyes View Post
I asked THor about having the rear awning added to a 2014 and they said that it cant be done because the 2015 rear cap is different. They said they shortened the door (Ramp) and moved camera and lights. The way they explained it is that the rear is totally different even though it may not look to different at a quick glance.
I looked at my RV next to the picture of the 2015 (above) and must agree that the ramp looks slightly shorter...Hmmmm.

So, I am thinking to fall back on my original idea - Xtend-a-room - see great pics on the "RZ Outlawz" blog site:
Xtend-A-Room – Toy Hauler Patio

It's a lot less expensive too.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I looked at my RV next to the picture of the 2015 (above) and must agree that the ramp looks slightly shorter...Hmmmm.

So, I am thinking to fall back on my original idea - Xtend-a-room - see great pics on the "RZ Outlawz" blog site:

That looks cool but is a lot more work and takes over the whole deck. My dogs want to lay out in the sun even when it's 110 deg out. Also, I'm lazy. I need to close the garage every evening and don't want to hassle with too much.

I find out this week if my purchase is going to go through. The inspection is in the next few days. If everything goes well, expect a lot more questions!
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #719

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm with you on that. I went with the roll up screen mainly because of the ease of use and that the deck can be stowed with it in place. The add a room is a lot more functional but I weekend mostly and as lazy as I am, I'd never use it. Having the awning would be pretty sweet though. I'm heading to the Hershey show in September so you never know
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

I gotta say they are very cool and I am glad we got ours. I will forewarn you; they are an absolute PITA to put together the first time. After you have done it a couple of times it does get easier. There were some quirks to figure out when putting it together. Nothing horrible, it is just a bit weird to figure out.

Even though we got the Xtend-a-room I am still building myself an awning that hopefully will be easy to put up. I have the actual awning almost sewn together completely out of waterproof outdoor material. I had hoped to have it done by now but got sidetracked making a friend a costume for ComicCon. Now that it is over I am hoping to get back to the awning in maybe a week. I have a bit of sewing burn-out at the moment.
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:53 PM   #721

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...ml#post1727212

While all this talk about the OTL Don Deck is happening, here is my 2 cents. I like to have my deck deployed all the while I'm camped. I enjoy going out there for a early morning coffee, evening adult beverages, etc. I deploy a small perimeter fence and our two small dogs like the extra space it gives them. I wanted something to protect it from moisture and almost a year ago devised the above linked attempt. But with the drought here in the Southwest, it has taken almost a year to fully get it tested, which I was able to do last weekend on Mingus Mtn, between Prescott and Jerome AZ. Rain constantly fell, and at times very hard, from 9:00 pm to 9:00 am on Aug. 2. It rained so hard I got up in the middle of the night a couple of times to check the deck, but I saw no leaking of the rubber flooring. In the morning when I removed the flooring the deck was completely dry, so I consider this a successful test of my beta-version deck protector. Thanks for reading.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 08-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #722

Damon Owners Club
JeffAZ. Looks kewl...do you use a roll down of some sort to protect or keep the interior secure / dry with the ramp down at night? Did you have to reverse the door knob so the lock was on the inside? Curious minds want to know...

Old 08-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #723

Yes, Dan, at night I can drop the roll-up screens. We don't keep anything valuable in there at night or when we are gone. When traveling we keep our riding gear in the overhead garage cabinets, when camped we keep that gear in the side main entry door steps, with the trap door floor(thanks Steve) closed it's like a lockable locker.

To secure the door from the garage to the living space I wedge the 'slide travel bar' against the door and the doorwell. With the "T" part of the bar against the door and the smaller end wedged on the floor and in the obtuse corner of that doorwell. Just need to shorten the bar 2 notches. Isn't that what campers are supposed to do, multi-purpose their gear?
Old 08-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #724

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Smart move. I didn't protect mine and it started to buckle even though I would raise it and let the water run off it. As Dan mentioned, I did reverse the lock on the vapor door so that we could leave it down when we left for the day. It brings back fond memories! I really loved my deck!
Old 08-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #725

Not sure what you all mean by a reverse lock on the door. My door from the garage and into the main unit is a key lock. Did older models just not have a lock?
Old 08-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #726

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangepeel View Post
Not sure what you all mean by a reverse lock on the door. My door from the garage and into the main unit is a key lock. Did older models just not have a lock?
The door is set up so you can lock it from the garage side and need a key from the coach side to get in. By turning the door lock around you can lock it from the coach side making that secure and then you would need a key to enter from the garage side
Old 08-06-2014, 10:31 PM   #727

Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
The door is set up so you can lock it from the garage side and need a key from the coach side to get in. By turning the door lock around you can lock it from the coach side making that secure and then you would need a key to enter from the garage side
Wonder what the thinking was to have it that way. Why would you ever need to lock out someone that is in the coach. But then I guess that is why you all reversed it!

On a similar note….what model year did they add the second outside door that goes directly into the garage? When I met Sizzler (Jay) & his wife Cindy we found that we both use the garage door on our rigs more than the main coach door.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #728

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe that was added in 2013. I made a set of folding steps that hooked to the edge of the ramp when it was deployed as a deck.

I still have them if any of you pre-2013 owners are driving through my area

Tags
outlaw