Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #757
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami View Post
Steve, I have those same storage cabinets on my 09 Model 3612, so it may be standard. If I remember correctly, I saw them in a photo of Vi's 3808 also?

But those others? Wow.
Ah Yes, you are right - Sorry, I should have wrote "...it's a 3611/3612 thing."

But, Vi wrote "What Compartments?" (see quote below from the "I Love My Outlaw" Thread).
If I recall correctly, the wheel wheels slightly intrude into the 12' deep garage in the 3808...no little cubby's - BUT it's a 12' deep garage!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
Check the two compartments in the garage near the floor on the wall. That's where mine was and still is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicap View Post
Ya got me there Don. What Compartments?????
I hope a new Gen II owner with the rear awning will post the measurements on the ramp. When I compared pics, it only looked like a 2-4" difference, so I bet it's no biggie on the ramp angle.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2014, 01:13 PM   #758
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
We're in Texas picking up our 2015 37LS. There were several mods I wanted to make that it turns out are already on the '15 model:

1) LED lights throughout most of the rig. I haven't had the chance to check the whole thing yet.

2) Rear awning - something I already asked about. It seems pretty difficult to add one afterwards so I'm glad it's there. It's a manual process but not difficult.

3) Propane/electric water heater. I thought it came with only propane, which isn't a big deal but I really wanted to be able to use electric when possible.

4) 1000W inverter. I don't know if it's a modified sine, but most likely. I've read that modified sine will be the death of us all, but I don't know if it's fear mongering or people are truly having problems? I know the earlier Outlaws came with smaller inverters. I'm hoping the 1K will be enough.

5) The 6-V batteries looked a lot bigger than I was expecting. I don't know the capacity though. I may still look into wiring up another set for additional capacity.

There were a couple of other ones, but I can't think of them right now. We're hoping to spend our first night in the rig tomorrow after getting all of the paperwork signed.
Those are all very nice upgrades to the legacy models!!

Modified Sine Wave inverters are reportedly hard on sensitive electronics, but what electronics will be used in travel? We opted for a MSW because of cost. Everything works GREAT! It is a 2000W (3000W peak) model that feeds the shore power cable with an extension cord. Our travel computers (laptop and iPad and Galaxy Tables) and cell phones are on chargers, so there is no issue there and the microwave works as it should.

A 1000W inverter is probably Pure Sine Wave, but it is smart to check.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-12-2014, 01:36 PM   #759

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had some problems with the stock MSW inverter on our Outlaw messing with our cell phone chargers (it would cause the cell phone to get very hot and have odd behavior while charging) and our laptop charger (it got very hot and stopped working) so I changed ours out to Cotek ST1000W PSW for about $375 with a remote. I think it was a worthy upgrade for the money. It would be nice to hear that Thor is including a PSW in the new Outlaws.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:54 AM   #760

Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
We had some problems with the stock MSW inverter on our Outlaw messing with our cell phone chargers (it would cause the cell phone to get very hot and have odd behavior while charging) and our laptop charger (it got very hot and stopped working) so I changed ours out to Cotek ST1000W PSW for about $375 with a remote. I think it was a worthy upgrade for the money. It would be nice to hear that Thor is including a PSW in the new Outlaws.
According to the manual for the inverter, it's a PSW.

I also noticed that the coach is wired w/ HDMI to all of the TV's, so strike another thing from my list. They went super cheap on the video distribution box though. It's a Monoprice 2x4 video switcher for the whole bus (2x4 HDMI® Switch & Splitter - Monoprice.com) and a traditional DVD player instead of blu-ray. Basically, you can send one of two inputs to all of the TV's, or use the built-in coax if you want to watch TV. The ideal would be a matrix splitter, allowing some TV's to watch one input (e.g. a satellite box) and other TV's to watch another (blu-ray DVD). This may end up being a future upgrade.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:59 AM   #761

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As most of you know, last month Jessica and I had 640 watts of solar installed on the Outlaw. Starting early yesterday Jess and 5 girlfriends took the Outlaw to the Williamette Country Festival in Oregon. They have charged cell phones, iPads and computers, used hair irons and run lights for hours including the LED strip I put on the awning without having to spend a dime on gas (nor have the noise and smell) running the generator. Brilliant stuff.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #762

That's great Scott, but wait for the ultimate test of hair blow dryers with 6 women!

How about this for a homemade deck awning on a homemade toyhauler. I think is looks pretty good.

Thanks to andy29847 for the photos
Old 08-17-2014, 01:08 AM   #763

New 2015 and have some questions.

1. How do I get the tvs to play through all these speakers mounted everywhere?

2. How do I keep Ac drip off from running down both front side widows.

3. What can I adjust to keep my drawers from sliding out while turning?

4. How do I retract all the extra coax cable hanging out of my tv antenna when it's closed?

5. What can I buy that replaces the screen in the vent over the bed with something that keeps the light out?

6. How can I stop the fans up front from rattling?

Put about 100 miles on the coach today and ran the generator for several hours. Everything seems to work as it should thus far. Praying for no leaks or issues! Thanks in advance for replys
EmpireRcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:10 AM   #764
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Factory Original Cubby

Found another Mod on the web (for sale ad)...not my RV.
It is on a 2008 Outlaw 3611.

Anyone ever seen one of these?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_Damon_Outlaw_3611_MH_029.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	70994

Safe Mods
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-17-2014, 01:29 AM   #765

Also what's the very best in motion satellite to buy? Directv...
Old 08-17-2014, 01:32 AM   #766
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpireRcs View Post
New 2015 and have some questions.

1. How do I get the tvs to play through all these speakers mounted everywhere?
A: A stereo wire set from the TV to the aux input on the dash radio would be needed. Some Outlaws of the past had that option. I don't think it is part of the current set-up.
I was plannkbg to do this Mod, until I realized the speakers for the radio are all wrong for the TV being in the loft and over the front seats. A sound bar at the TV has been done and is a great Mod.

2. How do I keep Ac drip off from running down both front side widows.
A: A problem with all Outlaws ever made...you need to extend the gutter ends. Camco makes a snap on gutter extension that works well, and a pair are only about $6.

3. What can I adjust to keep my drawers from sliding out while turning?
If like ours, the steel drawer slides have a detent at the closed position. This is a metal to plastic connection and will fail sooner or later. To adjust, remove the drawer and gently close the spread of the very back end of the slides. This will squeeze on the plastic stop on the other (non-removable) part of the slide.
A better and permanent fix is to add cabinet door latches to the underside of the drawer. Can be the magnet or spring type.

4. How do I retract all the extra coax cable hanging out of my tv antenna when it's closed?
A: You should not do this. The extra cable allows the Sensar/Batwing turn for signal adjudtment.

5. What can I buy that replaces the screen in the vent over the bed with something that keeps the light out?
A: Most all RV stores sell a foam block covered with fake sheepskin for this exact purpose. Blocks light and insulates.

6. How can I stop the fans up front from rattling?
A: The mount could be lose - just tighten. If it is something else rattling, then a layer or neoprene or similar soft material can be added between the mount and fan base to insulate vibration from driving. If it is rattling from running, then the blades could be out of balance or the motorshaft could be bent. Those are hard to fix...replacement might be needed.

Put about 100 miles on the coach today and ran the generator for several hours. Everything seems to work as it should thus far. Praying for no leaks or issues! Thanks in advance for replys
CONGRATS ON THE PROGRESS
A few answers inserted above.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-17-2014, 01:40 AM   #767
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpireRcs View Post
Also what's the very best in motion satellite to buy? Directv...
In-Motion is an antenna thing. Works great with Direct or Dish.
Pick the system you like based on other points like do you want High Def, or do you have a system at home already.

We have Dish for the Pay-as-you-go, no contract RV account. We can move our "locals" with just 1 phone call and the Tailgater auto-aim portable is inexpensive and works like a dream...important since we like to camp in the shade, where a rooftop antenna is most often blocked.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-17-2014, 05:59 AM   #768

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

Attachment 70994

Safe Mods
That was the original screen door trash can - I had one on mine when I picked it up new. It was among the first things I did away with by replacing it with normal 2 layer screen. I just changed the bottom panel and added the cross exit bar.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #769

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

Attachment 70994

Safe Mods
Yep we have that on ours, we actually like it. Very handy spot for trash.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #770

The mrs just blew something up using a hair dryer and straighter in the bathroom. Neither Ac will come on and the breakers under the the fridge are all in the right position. What else do I need to check, it's hot outside and were on generator power

Tags
outlaw