Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2014, 01:00 AM   #351
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The suspense is killing me....

Will Scott and Jess be able to use a remote to control the PS3 hidden behind the big new TV...with the PS3 back there, will the TV fit between the wall and the slide frame while the slide is stowed...will Scott and Jess close the front shades while watching their BIG TV, or leave it open to make the neighbors jealous...? Hahaha!

These questions and many more in the next installment of Big TV Time.

Later
P.S. I have been known to leave the front shades open with the TV running...and yes, it does cause some to loiter. Ahh, the burden of owning a celebrity RV!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #352

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The suspense is killing me....

Will Scott and Jess be able to use a remote to control the PS3 hidden behind the big new TV...with the PS3 back there, will the TV fit between the wall and the slide frame while the slide is stowed...will Scott and Jess close the front shades while watching their BIG TV, or leave it open to make the neighbors jealous...? Hahaha!
LOL I can answer one of those questions now... the PS3 system uses Bluetooth for it's remotes and game controllers so there is no worries about using a remote at all. I was thinking about using one for a BluRay player even if I mounted it in the front of the RV because of that. Really nice not to worry about pointing the remote at anything or having an IR blaster to mount and run a wire.

More answers tonight.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:13 PM   #353

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here I am busy at work and looking forward to getting the TV mounted tonight so I thought I would throw up some specs to chew on.
The old TV is a 26" Viewsonic N2635W. The replacement is going to be a 40" Samsung UN40F6400.
The old TV weighs in at just about 28 pounds the new one is 19.4 pounds.
The old TV would only do 720p the new one is 1080p.
Now this spec is huge... The old TV used 150 watts (typical), the new TV uses 51 watts (typical).
Old TV measured 25.9" x 19.4" x3.9"
New TV measures 36.5" x 21.4" x 2.0"

Happy Monday
Old 01-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #354

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I got this.... The old TV was a BRICK!
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:01 PM   #355

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just got my new tv installed in the rear with a locking 3 axis swivel I picked up at my local rv dealer and while I was there I picked up a dyson cordless vac that the Dw really like and her new washing machine now just trying to get everything all finished and loaded and if the weather permits we will be off to Florida for 4 weeks to get a break away from this cold
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	54338  
Old 01-21-2014, 03:48 AM   #356

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have one of those Dyson hand helds. I bought a second charging cradle since we use it in the house and on our weekend trips in the RV. I like it in the RV because it's light and when you run into something there's less mass behind it to do any damage
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:16 AM   #357

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning83 View Post
"and if the weather permits we will be off to Florida for 4 weeks to get a break away from this cold"
If you get thru the South Florida (Ft Lauderdale) area, drop me a note if you have time. Coffee or adult beverage on me for a fellow Outlaw.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:31 AM   #358

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
I like it in the RV because it's light and when you run into something there's less mass behind it to do any damage
Usually the mass behind anything I own that causes damage is... ME
Old 01-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #359

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The TV is installed and I think it looks pretty darn good.

Here is the mount and area behind. Should have the PS3 installed tomorrow night.

I do have some advice for someone doing this in the future.
1. When the mount I used (an Omni Mount) is folded it will put the TV to the right of center so you should install the mount a bit left of the center of the opening. Because of this it would be better to either use either a wider piece of 1 inch (or thicker) plywood. I cut mine to be 5 inches wide and I now think it would have worked better at 6-8" wide if I knew I would mount the TV to the left. A second option, would be to not center the plywood but have it over to the left a couple of inches.
2. With 1 inch plywood your maximum size for screws to attach the plywood should probably be 1 1/2" and lag bolts for the mount is 1 3/4". You will not typically find that size of lag bolt so I ended up using 2" lag bolts with a couple of very thick washers.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #360

Damon Owners Club
Sweet.

Love it.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #361

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami View Post
If you get thru the South Florida (Ft Lauderdale) area, drop me a note if you have time. Coffee or adult beverage on me for a fellow Outlaw.
Thanks Dan for the invite I will be staying at fort wilderness the entire time but will be making a trip to the keys in the jeep around February 12th for a diving trip if I see that I have time I'll send you a message
Old 01-21-2014, 10:31 PM   #362

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Headlight Upgrade

This is for the 'legacy' owners who have the old-style headlights. Mine is an '07 3611 Ford chassis. A while back at Sturgis, I had to replace a passenger headlight. A sequence of discoveries later, and having to replace the connectors on both sides, I removed the assemblies. A little searching of part numbers, and I found that contrary to the local Thor parts rep, our headlights are a Korean aftermarket replacement for a 1998-99 Lincoln Navigator. Those can be found on-line for $85 - $95 (JC Whitney & others). I was actually able to repair my mounting bracket...which is a bit Rube Goldberg to start since the factory just used self-tapping screws and metal straps.

Anyway, the best improvement in my short term (I'm going to put in HIDs later) was discovering the aiming screws. After repairing the left/right adjust on both sides, I was able to adjust the beams on both lights. The drivers side was WAY high and left; the pax was aimed about 15feet ahead and right. The elevation adjust is the outboard screw on the back of the assembly best turned by reaching into the wheel well. The azimuth is inboard an on the top/back. It can be reached through the front engine bay door. I leveled my rig, aimed the lights at my bay door 15 feet away(I keep my rig in my hangar, but a fence or wall will work), and set the beams to a point just below level with the bulb heights. Took about twenty minutes.

The difference driving tonight was way better than I expected. I'll still go HIDs...but now I don't dread night ops nearly as much...which is good since we're off to Daytona tomorrow for the Rolex24 and will drive at night for the first part. Now...if anyone has a good rec for a Navigator aftermarket HID kit, I'm all ears.
f15epilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:01 AM   #363

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning83 View Post
Thanks Dan for the invite I will be staying at fort wilderness the entire time but will be making a trip to the keys in the jeep around February 12th for a diving trip if I see that I have time I'll send you a message
Travel safe and I'll be around during that time. I've worked PT for a shop down in Miami for years (although not any longer) and highly recommend Capt Slate if you've never been out with them. At any rate, have a great time.

Captain Slate's Atlantis Dive Center, Key Largo, FL
Old 01-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #364

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami View Post
Travel safe and I'll be around during that time. I've worked PT for a shop down in Miami for years (although not any longer) and highly recommend Capt Slate if you've never been out with them. At any rate, have a great time.

Captain Slate's Atlantis Dive Center, Key Largo, FL
Thanks Dan for the recommendation I think I will try them I was looking for a good dive shop up closer I usually use captain hooks in marathon or south point in key west but these guys look like they have a lot of nice dives also......I also see you have a couple seg ways and I am looking for a x2 if you know of any around for sale and how well you like them and the durability of them

Tags
outlaw