Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Palazzo 33.2 Rear Dragging

So the first night getting our coach home from the dealer after buying it, (they were trying, to no avail, to "fix" the slideout until they closed) I heard a scraping noise. There are dips in our street, and there is no way to avoid them. After parking the coach I saw the trailer plug hanging from the hitch.

Does anyone else with a Palazzo had/have the same issue?

I'm thinking of installing steel rollers onto the hitch. I'm also looking to relocate the trailer plug so it's not the lowest point at the rear end.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.
bbc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #2

Yes I have had the same problem. Probably relocating plug would be best fix. I just haven't found the best place yet. Will have to modify bracket.
pjohnmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had the same problem on my driveway. I ended up moving the plug.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is the result of bottoming out on my drive. I had a new plug welded above the hitch cross bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0363.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	31310  
Old 01-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #5

Wow, either you guys have HUGE dips in the street or your rear suspensions isn't airing up fully. Dont take for granted that it is, my air suspension was saggin 2" inches to the drivers side when I picked my coach up new. It took a trip to the local Freightliner shop to get it adjusted and set to the correct level.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRandy View Post
Wow, either you guys have HUGE dips in the street or your rear suspensions isn't airing up fully. Dont take for granted that it is, my air suspension was saggin 2" inches to the drivers side when I picked my coach up new. It took a trip to the local Freightliner shop to get it adjusted and set to the correct level.
Mine was a good dip and I may have forgotten to air up the air bags.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

So how would one measure, or see if the air bags are properly inflated?

I installed air bags some time ago (removed the leaf springs) on my 2500 Silverado, and I'm familiar with air suspensions. When I look at the coach, it appears level front to rear and side to side. Also, looking at the air bags I can tell that each bag is inflated about the same.

I would like to rule out the suspension before considering the hitch steel rollers. Thanks...
Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc5 View Post
So how would one measure, or see if the air bags are properly inflated?

I installed air bags some time ago (removed the leaf springs) on my 2500 Silverado, and I'm familiar with air suspensions. When I look at the coach, it appears level front to rear and side to side. Also, looking at the air bags I can tell that each bag is inflated about the same.

I would like to rule out the suspension before considering the hitch steel rollers. Thanks...
With my rig sitting on level ground and the suspension aired up to normal ride height, it is 14.5" from the ground to the bottom of my trailer hitch. Check to see if yours is about the same. I have only hit my trailer hitch once and that was when I was off the pavement in my duaghters field and had to go through a pretty good drainage ditch.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #9

I knew the Palazzo sat low when I purchased it and was told that it was designed this way to keep it below the 12 foot high limit (advertised selling point). I am very careful when backing up or on uneven terrain but not to say I will not bottom out at some point.

Another point to be aware of is the steps if you deflate the air suspension and you are on uneven ground the steps are very close to the ground and you could drag or hit a rock or something.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have any of you consider using steel hitch rollers? I'm thinking they may help?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
I knew the Palazzo sat low when I purchased it and was told that it was designed this way to keep it below the 12 foot high limit (advertised selling point). I am very careful when backing up or on uneven terrain but not to say I will not bottom out at some point.

Another point to be aware of is the steps if you deflate the air suspension and you are on uneven ground the steps are very close to the ground and you could drag or hit a rock or something.
Who's 12' height limit? Height limits are 13'6" with 14' in most of the Western states. Was the salespersons lips moving when the told you this?
RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Who's 12' height limit? Height limits are 13'6" with 14' in most of the Western states. Was the salespersons lips moving when the told you this?
Thor wanted to keep the height under 12 feet as a "selling point"...I did not say some state had a limit of 12 feet. It has more to do with parking the RV in a storage building.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #13
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Thor wanted to keep the height under 12 feet as a "selling point"...I did not say some state had a limit of 12 feet. It has more to do with parking the RV in a storage building.
My apology for the jumping to conclusions.
RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
With my rig sitting on level ground and the suspension aired up to normal ride height, it is 14.5" from the ground to the bottom of my trailer hitch. Check to see if yours is about the same. I have only hit my trailer hitch once and that was when I was off the pavement in my duaghters field and had to go through a pretty good drainage ditch.
Very interesting. This caused me to measure my 33.1 today but I may have measured at a different point. From the bottom of my hitch electrical connection it is 11.5" air up and 7.5" air down.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote