RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #1

Palazzo build.. How long?

Ready to buy a Palazzo locally.... the salesman said it can take up to 5-6 months to build?.... doesn't right to me, 2-3 maybe... but 5-6 months sounds a bit excessive. Maybe another tactic to bait on signing now. I hate the games these salesman have and wondering if this is one of them. Thanks for your thoughts.

Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
Ready to buy a Palazzo locally.... the salesman said it can take up to 5-6 months to build?.... doesn't right to me, 2-3 maybe... but 5-6 months sounds a bit excessive. Maybe another tactic to bait on signing now. I hate the games these salesman have and wondering if this is one of them. Thanks for your thoughts.
Seems like you could find one that is exactly or at least close to what you want already built. If you are dealing with a CW they should be able to pick one up if there is one you want at another CW. That is what I did.

gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
Ridiculous. There are plenty in inventory around the country. Which version do you want?
I ordered a 33.1with a pain scheme that was not readily available. It took 10 weeks to get it built and delivered.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I bought mine at the Hershey show in pa last August/September they said it will take 2-6 months. I said if you want me to buy one I want it by my next trip witch was in a week, long story short I got it they pulled it from a lot at a dealer that just had it delivered from the factory to put on their showroom floor.
jimbooth25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Camping World shows over 30 Palazzos in stock. Of course most are where it is not horrible winter weather but there are 2 in NY.

I have bought cars from a local dealer that brought the car from a distant dealer. I expect you could do the same with an RV if you are careful and don't want to go to the distant dealer.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:43 AM   #6

My chassis build date (Gaffney SC) was February 24, 2012 and I purchased mine (show model) at the RV show in Louisville in June. So using these dates I would say that we are in the 2-3 month build range.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #7

I took a tour of the factory yesterday 1/29/2013. I was told at the tour that Thor currently has orders for the palazzo to carry them thru April. It takes 30 days to build from start to finish.
Indy1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy1951 View Post
I took a tour of the factory yesterday 1/29/2013. I was told at the tour that Thor currently has orders for the palazzo to carry them thru April. It takes 30 days to build from start to finish.
Thanks for the info. And

gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #9

Thanks for the welcome. I am planning on ordering a new palazzo in the next 30 to 60 days. I am waiting for my local CW dealer to get one in so I can test drive before I order. Supposed to be in next month. I am also setting tight for the new Folkstone color scheme on the outside of the coach. Looking forward to updating my profile to Palazzo 33.2.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy1951 View Post
I have heard some very negative comments about lack of Thor quality being very evident on the factory tour.
What is your impression?
Mine is not perfect but I have been fortunate to not have some of the disastrous problems that have been reported. My advice is to read everything on irv2,about the Palazzo, study the owners manual before delivery, and do a very very thorough PDI. Of course if you have prior RV experience you will be ahead of me as this is my first.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:33 AM   #11

"I have heard some very negative comments about lack of Thor quality being very evident on the factory tour.
What is your impression?"

I find it difficult to answer your question seeing that when I toured the plant everyone had gone home for the day. (I only visited the assembly area for the DP which is in a separate building from the other models.) For me the quality of any product starts with engineering I am impressed with the job that the engineers have done on the Palazzo on a whole the choice of components used are from respected and established companies. Cummings, Freightliner,Allison etc.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:46 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks. I toured the Freightliner factory in Gaffney and was impressed with how fast and in how small an area they put them together and drove them out the door.

The following day I toured the BMW plant near Spartanburg and was amazed at the level of automation, efficiency, and quality control. Well worth a visit to both places.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:45 AM   #13

Your welcome. Sorry I couldn't elaborate more. I spent 32 yrs working in the Allison Transmission factory and the amount of changes to the manufacturing process has been incredible.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #14

I called a competing RV dealer, and this dealer said that 2-3 months should not be an issue... I guess it all depends on where dealers stand with Thor that they get slotted in quicker. CW is def a volume customer for Thor so it only makes sense to have higher priority... the little RV guys, not so much. Going to do a dealer this weekend and see what deal I can get a 33.3 for, wish me luck. Thanks for the info guys.

BTW, Indy... Is Folkstone a new color? Im looking at the Silverleaf.

Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote