Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
2LT

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Palazzo Question

We are looking at the Palazzo 33.1 or 33.2 and would love to hear feedback on which plan is better; fully understanding it is totally a personal preference. We are torn between the two plans. They are so similiar but one thing we wonder about is having the galley with the water lines, electric, and more weight, etc. on the slide portion of the coach. Any input would really be appreciated! Also, do you like the bath split or all in one, etc. Would just like to hear all the "Pros and Cons" from those that have one. Looking at either the '13 or the new '14 -- any opinions ?

Thanks so much......

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
We are looking at the Palazzo 33.1 or 33.2 and would love to hear feedback on which plan is better; fully understanding it is totally a personal preference. We are torn between the two plans. They are so similiar but one thing we wonder about is having the galley with the water lines, electric, and more weight, etc. on the slide portion of the coach. Any input would really be appreciated! Also, do you like the bath split or all in one, etc. Would just like to hear all the "Pros and Cons" from those that have one. Looking at either the '13 or the new '14 -- any opinions ?

Thanks so much......
To me it is just a matter of preference for the floor plan. I like our 33.1 but I see features in the other models that I like also. Sorry that I can't be more responsive to your questions, but you need to decide which floor plan better suits your needs.

gmadams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post

Thanks so much......
Love our 33.1. Have not seen a 2014 or the new 36.1 yet.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #4

My wife and I love our 33.2. We love the full slide and the location of the TV. We have very big dogs and we also can see them from the bed room at night with the slide door open. Recommend anyone buying from Thor visit the factory and let them PDI your coach and straighten our the small problems that all coaches have. I have associates that have had everything from Prevosts to Airstreams and the only coach that does not have a lot of problems new is a Newell. They even have some problems. A Newell is out of my league so I will continue to love our Palazzo. This is our second new diesel coach from Thor. We cannot be more satisfied. We tow my wife's Acura TL on a Kar Kaddy SS dolly. Tows very well. The reason we bought a 34" is one day we me a retired Army Sgt at Bell Terra. He had a 2004 32" Country Coach with a 400 cummins. I asked him why he paid all that money and only got part of the bus? He said because he does not have to go to truck stops and he can go anywhere he wants. That changed my mind about coaches. If you look at an old 40' Prevost (no slides), my 33.2 has more interior room than the Prevost and has all the new upgrades. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

We love our coach!!
Old 05-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
2LT

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks all for the comments. Really appreciated.

StevieD - do you have the stack washer/dryer in your 33.2 ? I like the open floorplan of the 33.2 but am really concerned about all that weight on the full wall slide. DH thinks we do not need the washer/dryer units.They also become another issue to deal with when winterizing the coach. Have you had any issues with the slide?

As is stated by Palazzo owners - they love their coach. Both units certainly have nice features. Decisions, Decisions !!
Old 05-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #6

Say, 4Fun, why not call and get the 4 position weights from the manufacturer. If they give it out, it would probably be dry & unloaded weight but if you know the position of the tanks, you could make an educated guess about the slide side weight.

Years ago, use to hear a lot of complaints about kitchen slides causing problems...leaks, too much overall weight, etc., but haven't heard much of that the last couple years.

Personally, I agree with you, too much weight on one side, too much to go wrong with a LR/kitchen full wall slide.

BTW, you'd probably save $14,000 with the 33.1. Probably not a concern, but the savings would pay for some extra diesel.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #7

One of the reasons we bought the 33.2 was the washer and dryer. We use it almost every day. When we return home we never have any dirty clothes to wash. We initially had an issue with big slide and Thor took immediate care of it. Very pleased. We do not winterize. We use our coach year around. We are always going somewhere, usually week trips up to 3 week trips. Usually travel at least a week every month. We live in Texas and store it in a large storage unit. We do not have to winterize. We spent a lot of time this year up North (Chicago and Northern Ohio) when it was very cold. We were happy even with temperatures down to 20 degrees. When the 33.1 came out, we were not interested at all. When they announced the 33.2 we ordered it immediately. We were at Thor when the first one came off the line.

We love our coach!!!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:24 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Say, 4Fun, why not call and get the 4 position weights from the manufacturer. If they give it out, it would probably be dry & unloaded weight but if you know the position of the tanks, you could make an educated guess about the slide side weight.

Years ago, use to hear a lot of complaints about kitchen slides causing problems...leaks, too much overall weight, etc., but haven't heard much of that the last couple years.

Personally, I agree with you, too much weight on one side, too much to go wrong with a LR/kitchen full wall slide.

BTW, you'd probably save $14,000 with the 33.1. Probably not a concern, but the savings would pay for some extra diesel.
All-

We've got a 2013 33.2 made in feb of this year. The factory provided these wheel weights for our s/n

Front left 3458#. front right 3093#
Rear left 7756#. Rear right 7200#
Old 05-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAero View Post
All-

We've got a 2013 33.2 made in feb of this year. The factory provided these wheel weights for our s/n

Front left 3458#. front right 3093#
Rear left 7756#. Rear right 7200#
Ouch, that means it was almost 1000 lbs. heavier on the driver's side. You want to have your weight distributed as evenly as possible. Have it weighted after you have it loaded and correct the imbalance as much as you can.

When we had our previous coach weighed last fall it was about 300 lbs. heavier on the driver's side and it was strongly suggested we move as much weight as possible to correct the problem.

We recently purchased our 2014 33.2 which we had ordered without the washer/driver, overhead bed and outside TV and I am hoping the omission of the w/d will help keep our weight distributed evenly.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
2LT

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spoke with customer service @ Thor today. The weights provided by Thor for our 33.1 are : LF 3132, RF 3288
LR7466, RR 7134

so the L side is 10, 598 and the R side is 10,422 - quite different than the 33.2 unit listed above.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LT View Post
Thanks all for the comments. Really appreciated.

StevieD - do you have the stack washer/dryer in your 33.2 ? I like the open floorplan of the 33.2 but am really concerned about all that weight on the full wall slide. DH thinks we do not need the washer/dryer units.They also become another issue to deal with when winterizing the coach. Have you had any issues with the slide?

As is stated by Palazzo owners - they love their coach. Both units certainly have nice features. Decisions, Decisions !!
We have the 33.2 with the washer/dryer combo. Winterizing is no issue at all. You just put the pink RV anti-freeze in the regular water system and while you're doing that, turn on the washing machine for a short wash/rinse cycle. I do it with a few old t-shirts in the machine to soak up the excess. When warm weather returns just fill the system with fresh water and run the washer through several cycles to get all of the anit freeze out before washing clothes.

I understand the concerns about weight imbalance but keep in mind the coach does have an automatic leveling suspension so it will ride level no matter what. Considering you have a 22,000 lb+ rig, 1,000 pounds slightly off center by 6 or 7 feet is not that big of a deal. When you are driving with a 30 mph cross wind, the lateral forces put on the coach and suspension are many times more than any load imbalance. Remember too that the grey/black and DEF tanks are on the passenger side, so when those tanks get full it will help to offset the weight.