RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #1

Pink fluid?

I just bought a used 2012 ACE 29.2, everything works great, but after i pulled it into the garage today i noticed a pink puddle on the ground along the passenger side. the puddle is currently right under the bay that holds the hydraulics, but it looks like i pulled through the puddle so it could be from anything along the passenger side (including something in the engine compartment)...any ideas? could it be hydraulic fluid? What fluid is pink?

catronro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2013, 05:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by catronro View Post
I just bought a used 2012 ACE 29.2, everything works great, but after i pulled it into the garage today i noticed a pink puddle on the ground along the passenger side. the puddle is currently right under the bay that holds the hydraulics, but it looks like i pulled through the puddle so it could be from anything along the passenger side (including something in the engine compartment)...any ideas? could it be hydraulic fluid? What fluid is pink?
Antifreeze?

firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #3

Make sure it is not from the transmission vent. The vent is at the top of the transmission towards the bell housing. If it is, it should leave some sort of tell tale trail. Check the transmission fluid on the dip stick also. If it is from the transmission and it is pink and not red, this transmission will need to be totally rebuilt. This needs to include the clutchs, solenoids, torque converter, all seals, fluid cooler and everything totally cleaned. Water or coolant in the transmission fluid will cause damage to the transmission and it will fail.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #4

I went out and crawled under the coach and it is definitely dripping from within the hydraulic compartment.

I am 99% sure it is not from the transmission because it is way on the passenger side (even with the side of the coach). I would think if it was transmission based it would come be toward the middle of the coach. Unless there is a way the tranny could leak into the hydraulic compartment?
Old 07-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #5

Sounds like the transmission is ok then. Maybe the hydraulics were over filled??? Not sure why it would be pink though. I thought they just used auto transmission fluid. The owners guide for that should indicate what is used. Hopefully water is not in there.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #6

it is definitely hydraulic fluid. I opened the tank and it is pink (duh...should have checked that before i freaked out). I checked all the hoses and they are dry but there is fluid around the tank. With all the fluid on the floor, the tank itself is still pretty full. I am going to mark it up to being overfilled, i hit a bump, it spilled into the compartment, and then just leaked out on my garage floor. Ill keep an eye out and get some extra fluid just in case it is something more serious.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #7

Thanks for the quick response...this forum is an amazing resource! I have only had the RV a few days and have used this forum no less than 20 times.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
The pink color is probably because it came with clear hyd. fluid and someone added mercon transmission fluid.(which is OK per the manufacturer.)
Old 07-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by catronro View Post

Winterizing antifreeze fluid for the plumbing is pink.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #10

Run the jacks, Ill bet there will be more.
Randog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #11

I just had to repair a hydraulic line on my jacks just a couple of days ago. The fluid was a pink reddish color. There was a faulty crimp at the connector. I had to remove the hose and bring it to a hydraulic shop to have a new connector installed. I lost most of the fluid before I had a chance to shut the hydraulics down. I was only able to find hydraulic jack fluid (clear in color )which I was told was ok to use. The tank should be filled to within 1/4 in from the top with the jacks in the retract position. Total cost was $87, I did all the work myself.
calvinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #12

Some manufacturers, like Lippert, recommend transmission fluid over hydraulic fluid.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depending on many things..They may have "Topped off" your jacks tank with the jacks partially extended.. Or for that matter just when it was COLD out and they may have put in a bit too much fluid.

If this happens then when the tank heats up, be it from a sunny Day in August or the heat of the engine... It overflows.

NOTE on power gear jacks.. Top 'em off in august and you have to do it again in Jan.. Top it off in Jan and it overlows in Aug and you have to top 'em off again in the cold season. (Does depend a bit on where you live)

Tags
fluid