RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2018, 10:13 PM   #1

Propane Regulator/Water Heater - 2007 Dutchmen

Hi,

I have a 2007 Dutchman 24' TT.

The propane regulator went out, so I bought a new one on ebay. I installed it the other day and it didn't seem to work. I am looking for some advice. What could be the problem? What should I do?

The water heater in the rear of the trailer is removed, because I am replacing the floor. The electrical wires that hook up to the water heater are currently not attached. Could that interfere with the propane? I capped off the propane line back there at the water heater, but the electrical lines are still not attached. (See Photo)

When I open the valve on the propane tank, I hear a quiet hissing sound, then I hear a clicking sound in the valve itself, and then I hear the regulator making a quiet high pitch squealing sound. Almost like a sustained beeping sound, like maybe it is leaking propane. I also smell quite a bit of propane leaking out. Also, the Red/Green indicator is not switching over to green, it just stays on red. I think this means that the regulator is sensing something is not right, so it is shutting down. I'm just not sure what the problem is. Any ideas?

Here is a video of the propane regulator so you can hear the beeping sound:
https://youtu.be/iCkyDz8o7Rc

NiceDayVince is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2018, 10:16 PM   #2

Photograph

I am attempting to upload a photograph of the water heater wires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7182.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	194799  

Old 03-06-2018, 10:39 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did the propane system ever work since you've owned it?

You say the propane regulator went out. What was it doing or not doing?

What happens if you connect to a different tank, couldn't tell in the video if you have two tanks.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:33 PM   #4

Hi Arch, thanks for your response.

Yes the propane worked fine when I bought the trailer in Sept 2017. I lived in there for 3.5 weeks before I learned that toxic black mold was making me sick. I am now replacing the floor, walls, roof, so in the course of that, I removed the water heater. I think that's when the propane stopped working all together.

Prior to removing the water heater, the stove top flame would bounce a little. I was told that means the regulator was going bad, so when the furnace altogether stopped blowing heat, and the stove top had a really really weak flame, I figured the regulator had finally gone bad. I think right after that, I removed the water heater as I was removing the floor. Not sure exactly what caused it to stop working for certain.

I do have a two tank system. It does the exact same thing when I switch the supply side left or right... As I open the valve slowly, I hear hissing sound, then a click in the valve, then a ringing sound from the regulator and I smell propane.

I wonder if I just hook the water heater back up to the electric if it will start woking again, or if I was sold a bad regulator on ebay or what's going on exactly? How do I go about diagnosing this?
Old 03-06-2018, 11:41 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you tried putting the old regulator back in? If it goes back to the original problem I'd go buy a regulator locally.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, propane, water, water heater