Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2008, 02:19 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2006 34N and I am not sure if the LR slide is working properly and I wanted to see if others have the same operation or if I have a problem with mine.

When the slide has been out for a while (a day or longer), it really has a hard time coming back in. Frequently it will completely stop when it reaches the point where the windows contact the slide seal. If I lower the right side of the MH so that it is leaning to the right, the slide comes on in though slowly. I have never just held the button down to see if it will eventually come in without unleveling or not. It has done this since new. When I take it to the dealer they say it is working OK but I doubt they are leaving it out for any length of time before retracting it.

Is this normal operation and I just need to be more patient? What is the best way to check and fill the hydraulic fluid for the motor? I have Equalizer jacks so I assume the slide is also. I browsed through the manual someone posted in another thread but didn't see anything of help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2008, 02:19 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2006 34N and I am not sure if the LR slide is working properly and I wanted to see if others have the same operation or if I have a problem with mine.

When the slide has been out for a while (a day or longer), it really has a hard time coming back in. Frequently it will completely stop when it reaches the point where the windows contact the slide seal. If I lower the right side of the MH so that it is leaning to the right, the slide comes on in though slowly. I have never just held the button down to see if it will eventually come in without unleveling or not. It has done this since new. When I take it to the dealer they say it is working OK but I doubt they are leaving it out for any length of time before retracting it.

Is this normal operation and I just need to be more patient? What is the best way to check and fill the hydraulic fluid for the motor? I have Equalizer jacks so I assume the slide is also. I browsed through the manual someone posted in another thread but didn't see anything of help.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:53 AM   #3

just wondering if the battery is fully charged.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:26 AM   #4

If you have hydraulic slides and jacks then check the fluid with the slides in and jacks up. HWH systems usually have a built in dipstick on the tank filler cap. You can use Dexron III ATF. Don't know about other brands. As Billy said you need a fully charged battery or be on shore power for things to work properly.

2004 Hurricane 32R w/Demco bar and Cavalier toad
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:51 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, the batteries are fully charged and I normally am using the slides only when connected to shore power. Do you think the converter is not putting out sufficient power and the slides would work better on batteries alone? I haven't tried putting them in without being on shore power. Mainly I am wondering if any other 2006 34N owners are having similar problems and if Iam being patient enough? I am just hesitant to keep the button pushed after the slide slows to a stop.

I will check the fill cap fr a dip stick, if I can find the fill cap.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:37 AM   #6

I have the same setup as you do.My LR slide comes in bottom first slowly but always makes it in no prob.Check your fluid level with slides in jacks up.You container is clear enough so you can see the level.I use mercon tranny fluid to top off.
A low battery will cause the slide to operate slower.After see how other mh slides move,I am not worried about mine moving slow.You may also want to lubricate the rods and see if that helps.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Frankie, I will give that a try. I think I will put a coat or two of 303 on the side slide window seals as well and see if they slide past the slide seal easier.

We are starting a four-month trip the beginning of May and may work our way up towards Elkhart after the FMCA rally in St. Paul to let Four Winds have a look at it, if it still a problem.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:02 AM   #8

frankie, just wondering what kind of slides your unit has, electric or hydraulic.