Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2015, 03:56 PM   #15

We had that problem in our Four Winds 31W constantly. In the end, I put a shower cap over it with a rubber band when we cook... solved the problem
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 04:54 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the exact same problem as the OP. My toaster sits almost right under the smoke alarm and will always set it off.

The bigger issue is the fact that Thor did not see fit to install an exterior vent for the Microwave/Stove Hood. If I cook, the only outlet for smoke, steam, and cooking aroma is through the inside of the coach up through the Fantastic Fan.

At some point I will need to remove the microwave and cut a rectangular hole in the side of the wall to install a vent. I'm really hesitant to install one of those cheap looking plastic vents.

Does anyone know if ALL microwave/stove hood models locate their vent in the exact same rear facing location? Over the stove microwave ovens that incorporate the stove hood can be used to vent smoke in three ways, (inside onto your face, up and outside, rear and outside), by removing a baffle and by re-arranging the squirrel cage blower. I was a little concerned about cutting into the wall, and then someday needing to replace, (or the next owner), the microwave oven that came with the motorhome with a different model/brand, and the rear vent hole not lining up.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:55 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Smoke Detector technology and the RV

There are two basic types of smoke detectors: ionization and photoelectric. To learn more than you ever wanted to know - Google: ionization vs. photoelectric smoke detectors. Simply stated photoelectric detectors alarm on things we can see and are best suited to detect smoldering fires. Ionization detectors alarm on things we can't see and are best suited for flash fires.
To keep this as short as possible I collected the following:
From NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) the generally recognized fire prevention and detection authority in the US.
1. For best protection, it is recommended both (ionization and photoelectric) technologies be used in homes. In addition to individual ionization and photoelectric alarms, combination alarms that include both technologies in a single device are available.
2. All smoke alarms should be placed at least 10 ft away from all major heat-producing appliances. (per ctpres: now this is where things start getting difficult in an RV.)

And this from IAFF or the International Association of Fire Fighters;It is the position of the IAFF that federal, state and provincial officials should require that all relevant
building standards and codes developed in the United States and Canada include a mandate for the use
of photoelectric smoke detectors. Research has demonstrated that photoelectric smoke detectors are
more effective at warning people of smoke from smoldering fires than ionization smoke detectors. With
earlier warning, people have more time to escape a burning structure and enable a quicker call to 911.
Photoelectric smoke detectors are less susceptible to nuisance alarms. To prevent nuisance alarms,
citizens often disable smoke detectors and place themselves, other residents in a home or building and
fire fighters at greater risk.

So - there isn't much of an agreement. I tend to side with the IAFF especially in the RV environment. As near as I can tell from the responses Thor has put out products with a mix of photoelectric and ionization detectors. If your not having a problem and detectors pass testing - there is no reason to change anything. If you are having frequent false alarms, look to see if it is ionization - will typically say ionization or have radiation hazard symbol printed on back. Switching to a photoelectric version will probably help and may even eliminate false alarms. In the end the important thing is to have working smoke detectors in EACH sleeping area. In the daytime your nose is the best detector. At night your nose effectevly sleeps so a working smoke detector may be your one and only chance of living thru an RV fire.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:04 AM   #18

Wife always runs fan and vent on when she cooks some of our meals or used the toaster.
StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:56 PM   #19

2015 THOR ACE 27.1, not even a squeak. Oops maybe they don't work. 20 trips all short.
KAMPURR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:49 PM   #20

2015 Tuscany XTE 36MQ. No problems with smoke alarm going off. It. Is over near the door and well away from stove/counter.
FlaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:45 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi OP here again. About a week ago I replaced all three ionization detectors with photoelectric. Not a peep so far and that includes the one 5' from cooktop.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:52 AM   #22

Mine by the entry door goes off so often that I remove it every morning and reinstall it at bedtime.

Tags
rvs, thor