Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #1

Radio issues - Thor ACE 29-2

I am having radio issues and looking for help. Our dash mounted radio works great, as long as we don't start the engine or generator. Once we do, we get a lot of static and have to turn it off. Can anyone help? Looking for advise.

Pam and Darle's Adventures
www.facebook.com/pamanddarlesadventures
dlmcclintock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2017, 04:27 AM   #2

If you don't get the info you need here, you could try posting the issue here:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/

Some info that may be helpful to those responding: The year of your 29.2 and model/brand of your radio, if you know it. Is the noise only in the dash unit or in the bedroom unit also? Has it always been there or did it recently appear?

I used the search bar above to find "radio static" on IRV2. Some tips from people there are:

1. If you have recently completed any repairs/modifications in the rv that may have had an inadvertent effect on wiring, check wire connections in that area.

2. Check for loose wiring connections at rear of radio.

3. It may help to install a "noise filter" on the power supplied to the radio.

Hope someone can help
Old 02-24-2017, 04:39 AM   #3
YC1

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like a loose antenna. Is it acting the same on am and FM? If it is AM only then we can discuss those issues.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like a loose antenna. Is it acting the same on am and FM? If it is AM only then we can discuss those issues.
It does the same on both AM and FM. I check the antenna on top of the unit and it all appears to be good. I am not sure how to get the radio unit out to check the connection at the back of the radio.
dlmcclintock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
If you don't get the info you need here, you could try posting the issue here:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/

Some info that may be helpful to those responding: The year of your 29.2 and model/brand of your radio, if you know it. Is the noise only in the dash unit or in the bedroom unit also? Has it always been there or did it recently appear?

I used the search bar above to find "radio static" on IRV2. Some tips from people there are:

1. If you have recently completed any repairs/modifications in the rv that may have had an inadvertent effect on wiring, check wire connections in that area.

2. Check for loose wiring connections at rear of radio.

3. It may help to install a "noise filter" on the power supplied to the radio.

Hope someone can help
We have a 2015 ACE 29.2. I need to do a little more research on the other questions. Never thought to check the bedroom radio. And I can't remember the brand of radio at the moment. I know it starts with an A and has an x in the name, but can't recall. I will get the information and get back on here.

I remembered: It is an Axxera radio.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:43 AM   #6

If you have this static or noise on the line when running, and it's fine when the rig is not running, it's more than likely a ground issue.

To rule out any antenna issue, check to see if the problem exists in AM, FM and also try an input source like from an iPod with the 3.5mm plug. If they all have static, it's not your antenna, it's your ground. The radio ground to chassis or the battery ground to chassis.
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:13 PM   #7

I think we have the same or similar unit in our 2015 ACE 29.3

You remove it from the dash by inserting "removal tool" at each side of the unit and pulling it straight out of dash. There should be info on this in the documents that came with the unit. The "tool" may be in a clear plastic bag also. I use a putty knife to remove the unit. The key is to not force anything, have patience. After having removed the unit a few times now I can remove and replace it in a minute or two.

I think there is a plastic trim ring around the unit that snaps off first before inserting tool.

Let me know if you want some pics showing removal.

Tags
ace, radio, thor