RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2017, 04:49 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Post Recommendation - Thor

We are seriously considering purchasing a 2018 Thor Palazzo and we are looking for honest opinion of the product. Researching online has a variety of pro's and con's and with an investment of this magnitude, we don't want buyers remorse.

Honest recommendations please.

Hopefully, we can graduate to being "on the road again" soon!

ZuCrew2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2017, 05:18 PM   #2

I am over on the thorforum.com as well. You should pop over there to get some first hand opinions, too. From what I have been reading, ALL manufacturers have very poor QC. It's almost better to buy a year old unit that has most of the "new coach" bugs taken care of. We purchased our 2016 Quantum WS31 in April with just 1391 miles on it. And, as I said, the first owners had most everything ironed out. And, we saved ourselves 40k.

99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:58 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quite honestly, Thor Palazzo is one of the entry level Diesel Pushers and the build quality is terrible. I speak of first hand experience. We used to own a Palazzo for three years and had nothing but trouble. The damn thing spent more time at the servicing dealer than we got to use it. Never again.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:19 PM   #4

Hi

this place is great

Safe travels
Stever53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:30 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

There are quite a few threads on Thor and specifically the Palazzo. Do a search at the top right of the page where it says powered by Google. It's a good starting point.

Happy Trails!!!
Old 10-26-2017, 09:20 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I'm just going to say don't do it!!!
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:24 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Don't know anything about Thor, hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am a happy, proud owner of an '18 Thor Palazzo. Since Aug when we picked it up, we have 20+ nights of camping and nearly 5000 miles on it including a just finished 2000 mile run to Orlando and back. I drove many DPs, including Nexus and Newmar and we did a TON of research and I would make my same decision again. We also visited several factories, including Thor's three times. No doubt, Thor had issues with the '13 and 14 Palazzo, yet my experience is overall quite positive so far. Good luck with your buying decision.
JBDALHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:33 PM   #9

Can't speak to the Palazzio line, but out 2017 Quantum WS31 has been a 9.45 out of 10. I have one exterior cosmetic issue that needs to be addressed, and some minor interior work. Since we took delivery on March 1st, my coach has been out of service for 1 hour.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:48 AM   #10

You might consider buying a used coach If this is your first purchase. You may have a different idea of your perfect coach a year from now.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:53 AM   #11

I owned a 2013 tuscany at one time and when anybody ever asked about a thor product I feel its my duty to warn them.. so many people get baited into there
eye candy .. then later discover horrible build tactics and suffer great frustration.
I do think the new thor products have stepped up there game since 2013 but I still wouldn't risk it.
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:32 AM   #12

over 75,000 successful and uneventful travel miles over 3 1/2 years, including recently thru Canada to Alaska and back thru Montana, Idaho, Utah and Colorado, including the great ride over the Continental Pass below Aspen...

The Palazzo line and the Forest River Legacy line are basically TWINS, both are compact diesel motorhomes on a 'lowered' Freightliner XCS chassis. This lowered chassis provides a lower center of gravity and full air bags for a smooth ride, and allows the coach to sit low enough that only a single entry step is provided, though sometimes even the single step is not needed after the air bags are lowered. These lines of coaches are typically also only 34' to 36' in length, with a shortened wheel base, which provides a very easy and tight turning radius as compared to most other diesel motorhomes.
They also include full Inverter power to all outlets and appliances at all times, including the residential fridge, of course, and generous Generator power to fully power the coach when off-the-grid, including both air conditioners. 4 - 6v House Batteries power the inverter, and the AGS(automatic Generator starter) provides automatic power up of the generator when needed for either air Temperature or battery Voltage re-charging.

The original 'schwintek' engineered slide systems were problematic for Thor and other manufacturers when they were first used, but the factories have mostly solved these issues in new units, and have provided more powerful motors as replacements in original units, or repaired those slide systems. We've had several replaced, a few myself, and a column unit replaced by the Thor service center, all under warranty.
The Palazzo and Legacy both have 'compartment' doors rather than the typical full 'bay doors' on most other larger diesels, but we've never found these to be any slight to our storage needs - it's just a way to provide for the lower chassis - I'll take the lower chassis over full bay doors any day.

As for interior appointments and quality - asking for an 'entry level' diesel motorhome is going to provide for different appointments than more expensive coaches. You'll give up full wood cabinets and hard surface flooring, etc., but we've not experienced any build or quality issues that have kept us from enjoying the scenery, and we've LIVED in this coach for over 3 years - two adults and two teen boys. While I've tinkered with several systems, including moving the water pump and water filter, removing the wet bay utility 'covers', and running the 50a Shore cord DIRECTLY versus the normal 'plug in' on the side of the coach, none of these would keep anyone from enjoying the coach as built from the factory, just my personal desires to 're-engineer' some items for my personal usage.

some other similar coach options might be:
Tiffin Allegro Breeze
Winnebago Forza
Fleetwood Pace Arrow(!)

(!) The Pace Arrow, formerly the Excursion, is also near a 'twin' to the Palazzo and the Legacy, but with full bay doors. I've driven/delivered these to dealers from the factory - it is a nice coach, as well, and now does offer hard surface flooring and full wood cabinetry(per their website), though you will have several entry steps to deal with.

...one other item to consider - several of these models, especially the shorter ones, do NOT exceed the 26,000lb GVWR - meaning that you will not need a special license as some states have now started to require, such as North Carolina. Our Palazzo 33.3 is only 26,000lbs(actually weight full loaded is only 25,750), but some of the longer 'compact' diesels do exceed this limit. Just and FYI if your state has this license requirement.

MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor