Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2014, 05:48 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Refrigerator Down

Sitting in the coach last night, and just happened to look up at the refrigerator and noticed the temp was at 44 degrees. Didn't hear the frig running. Tried to adjust temp, no help, changed it to LP to see if it would come on that way. Broke out the operators manual and read the trouble shooting procedure. Says if it stops cooling turn it off immediately and do not try restarting, call for technical assistance. Calling Thor this morning for authorization to get repaired ASAP. I did go buy ice last night and put in the frig to keep it cool.
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2014, 07:36 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Time to install residential frig? Hear it cost $1200
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:38 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Time to install residential frig? Hear it cost $1200
Don't know if I can put one in here.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:41 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bob, do you have the 4 door Dometic?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Bob, do you have the 4 door Dometic?
Yes
Old 05-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbunz View Post

Yes
Well Camping world made it out. Got it running on LP but the electric side is down. He had it working buttoned it all up and was ready to leave and it stopped again. So they have to order a board. Atleast is running on LP
Old 05-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
My 4 door Domestic died as yours has. It was showing a fault code that indicated the whole unit needed replaced. (Not repairable) While at Peterson Industries having some other issues tended to, they replaced a circuit board in the back and it now works better than ever before. Both on propane and electric.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto hauler View Post
My 4 door Domestic died as yours has. It was showing a fault code that indicated the whole unit needed replaced. (Not repairable) While at Peterson Industries having some other issues tended to, they replaced a circuit board in the back and it now works better than ever before. Both on propane and electric.
They are ordering a board today
Old 05-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Boards

Are still cheaper than a new refer. Dinosaur boards get rave reviews but CW is likely to only carry Norcold. But given that it started working and stopped I would be looking for a loose or corroded connection. The spade connectors on the main board are the first place I'd look. Not sure if I would put much faith in CWs diagnosis. I've had horrible luck with them and have had to repair several of their botched installs.

For the record I am quite happy with my 1201LRIM. I turned it on and in less than 24 hours it was down to -15 in the freezers and 34 in the main compartment during the hottest days of the season so far. This is with nothing more than the Muddypaws mod and $20 worth of thermostatically controlled muffin fans. When the Norcold cooling unit goes I will undoubtedly replaces it with an Amish coil.

Good luck with it!
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Don't really think it was related to my frig. crapping out, but know it couldn't have helped. When the shop was repairing it, a big mud dobber nest (vacant) was discovered inside the exterior vent/covers.

Still on my to do list is adding some screen to the inside of those vents. Hopefully keep those bugs out and not restrict the needed air flow.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto hauler View Post
Don't really think it was related to my frig. crapping out, but know it couldn't have helped. When the shop was repairing it, a big mud dobber nest (vacant) was discovered inside the exterior vent/covers.

Still on my to do list is adding some screen to the inside of those vents. Hopefully keep those bugs out and not restrict the needed air flow.
Got home this afternoon and plugged in the coach, switched refrigerator over to electric and it still ran. Still running tonight. So is the board bad? Go figure
Old 05-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe, but most likely not.

It's possible that your board has a bad relay that occasionally sticks. But it's more likely to be a loose connection.

Did you check the resistance of the two heaters?

Is your thermistor firmly attached to the fin? I ask that because when I experimented with a remote thermistor whenever the refer went into defrost it would shut down when the fin temp did not rise fast enough.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
It's possible that your board has a bad relay that occasionally sticks. But it's more likely to be a loose connection.

Did you check the resistance of the two heaters?

Is your thermistor firmly attached to the fin? I ask that because when I experimented with a remote thermistor whenever the refer went into defrost it would shut down when the fin temp did not rise fast enough.
I really didn't check it. The tech did and to be honest I don't have much faith in that tech. I have a so that works on my stuff and the guy is really good. Going to have him check it.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:05 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Bob, did you get this fixed. My fridge did not cool well last weekend, and it sounds like it runs on propane most of the time. I left the coach plugged in and the fridge on since I came home from Indiana, and it was froze up on the inside of the freezer part, and some ice on the inside top of the regular fridge. I turned it off while it is parked the last week, and plan to take it out next weekend. Hopefully my fridge isn't going bad.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator