RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2018, 10:36 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ReKeying door locks

We have a 2016 Palazzo and when we purchased, the dealer recommended that we rekey our door locks since everyone has the same key.

Has anyone done that? How do you go about rekeying the door locks? The TriMark website is useless.

Duane n Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you know how to remove the lock cylinders, you could take them to a locksmith. If you don't know how or can't find instructions online, you could just call a locksmith.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you know how to remove the lock cylinders, you could take them to a locksmith. If you don't know how or can't find instructions online, you could just call a locksmith.

X2

Have not heard of anyone doing this. My understanding ( which means a 50/50 chance of being correct) is that the latch lock key has few different key combinations (cuts). The deadbolt lock has many more key combinations, making it less likely to be the same as some other coach.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:38 AM   #4
tcg

I've owned a boat cleaning company for 27 years.

Most cabin doors on most boats have used the same lock for 10+ years. I own keys that can open almost every one. About 20 different keys.

But...

The likelihood that someone else in the same marina at the same time having the same key is not good and even if they did I wouldn't be worried about a fellow boater or camper attempting to see if their key could open your rig.

Professional thieves know how to open a door lock. Non professional thieves know how to break a window.

Point is I don't think the risk comes from a fellow owner using their key to get in your rig.

That being said, a locksmith is your best bet.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:44 AM   #5

ReKeying door locks

Have not done this, BUT. at a campground in the Keys, neighbor locked door and key inside. How,he doesn't know. Just for fun, tried my door key. Unlocked his.
Walked past 6 other RV's ( with their owners) and unlocked two (different year and coaches). Think most mfg's use same lock mfg.
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:10 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
I've owned a boat cleaning company for 27 years.

Most cabin doors on most boats have used the same lock for 10+ years. I own keys that can open almost every one. About 20 different keys.

But...

The likelihood that someone else in the same marina at the same time having the same key is not good and even if they did I wouldn't be worried about a fellow boater or camper attempting to see if their key could open your rig.

Professional thieves know how to open a door lock. Non professional thieves know how to break a window.

Point is I don't think the risk comes from a fellow owner using their key to get in your rig.

That being said, a locksmith is your best bet.
Very good points indeed. To be honest, I'm not very worried about this, but thought if it was an easy process then what the heck ...

The dealer made it sound simple and a neighboring 5th wheel owner told me that he had rekeyed all his exterior locks by replacing just the tumblers from a different supplier. He's now gone and I wish I had asked him more questions, but he indicated that it was very easy???

Anyway, I'm not getting a locksmith involved, but if it turned out to be easy, I would pursue it.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:24 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
This may help:

Bob & Donna
Old 03-23-2018, 02:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Mac View Post
Have not done this, BUT. at a campground in the Keys, neighbor locked door and key inside. How,he doesn't know. Just for fun, tried my door key. Unlocked his.
Walked past 6 other RV's ( with their owners) and unlocked two (different year and coaches). Think most mfg's use same lock mfg.

Were you able to unlock both locks on the entry doors? My understanding was that the deadbolt keying had many more combinations than the latch locks. Maybe that salesman told me what I wanted to hear.

I think compartment lock (on ACE) keying is pretty common. I purchased copies at Camping World, they were prepackaged hanging on display hooks.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane n Lora View Post
We have a 2016 Palazzo and when we purchased, the dealer recommended that we rekey our door locks since everyone has the same key.

Has anyone done that? How do you go about rekeying the door locks? The TriMark website is useless.
Not only is the web site useless, the locks are worse than useless. If you have the 060-1650 they are known to fail and lock the door. This happened to us at the start of a 750 mile trip heading home. Not fun crawling in and out of the emergency window to get gas. The latch is made with pot metal and very weak. Tri Mark does sell an up graded latch made out of steel only if you call them. I will never have anything with that brand again and replaced mine with a Bauer with a keyboard.
Search for lock failure and you should find plenty of information. Change it now or you will end up locked in or out of your coach. Yes, I get angry every time I think about the whole deal and my legs had bruises for a week from crawling out the window. Any older or less mobile person that needed out in a hurry because of fire or other emergency would never make it out. I and others have reported it to NTSB and these should be recalled. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:58 AM   #10

Exclamation

Quote:
We have a 2016 Palazzo and when we purchased, the dealer recommended that we rekey our door locks since everyone has the same key....
this is just pure BUNK, and why a 'dealer' would even say such a thing is ridiculous. No lock company supplying to the largest RV manufacturer is going to make every lock exactly the same. Plus, you have TWO locks, regardless, and both are different keys!

travel, enjoy... and don't fret it!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:51 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
this is just pure BUNK, and why a 'dealer' would even say such a thing is ridiculous. No lock company supplying to the largest RV manufacturer is going to make every lock exactly the same. Plus, you have TWO locks, regardless, and both are different keys!
travel, enjoy... and don't fret it!
MisterT you may be right and it's nothing to be concerned about??

However, I did personally witness the dealer take a key on his own personal key ring and with that key he showed me that it opened not only the coach I was buying but 3 others 2 of which weren't even Thors. These were the latch locks and not the deadbolts.

He did that little demo for me after I had commented that rekeying couldn't be that important.

With that, I do believe that what you and others here have said and that it probably isn't that big of a deal and to rely mostly on your deadbolt.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:34 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
MisterT you may be right and it's nothing to be concerned about??

However, I did personally witness the dealer take a key on his own personal key ring and with that key he showed me that it opened not only the coach I was buying but 3 others 2 of which weren't even Thors. These were the latch locks and not the deadbolts.

He did that little demo for me after I had commented that rekeying couldn't be that important.

With that, I do believe that what you and others here have said and that it probably isn't that big of a deal and to rely mostly on your deadbolt.
I bet the dealer has a brother in the locksmith business he could recommend to you.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-27-2018, 03:44 AM   #13

The most likely issue to pop up with your lock if it is a Trimark is the latch bolt breaking, causing the door to be hard to open without dismantling the lock. Has happened to me and many,many others.

Youtube of my lock:

Old 04-24-2018, 09:13 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well, believe it or not our Trimark latch just broke right where everyone has been saying that their's broke. Go figure. At least I was inside when it happened and I was able to take the latch apart and let my wife in.

Now I have to replace the latch with another one that will probably break again on us. I have this thing apart, but can't tell what it's model/part number is. Does anyone know? It's for a 2016 Thor Palazzo 35.1.

Thanks

Tags
door