Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #1

Ripped off the HDTV antenna yesterday - - - oops

I forgot to lower the HDTV antenna yesterday before heading out on the open road. First set of trees overhanging the road make quick work of the antenna less than a mile from my home.

I'll be performing this upgrade this weekend:
JACK Digital HDTV Antenna - iRV2 Forums

Ordered everything from Amazon for $186 (Jack Antenna, Mounting plate, goop)
sanfordturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Don't feel too badly. Just a few months ago I did the same thing with my HD Winegard Dish! I'm selling my coach and had backed it out of the covered storage slip to show it to someone. Deployed the dish to show it off and forgot to stow it before pulling back into the parking slip.

Made a really ugly noise.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hate to tell you this but that Jack, for most, is a DOWNgrade, (For others, not so much)

The jack has a fairly wide "Beam" thus it has lower gain but wider field of vision so it sees transmitters that are spaced out around you a bit (Say a full quadrant) the WInegard with batwing, has serious "Tunnell Vision) but man can it see a long ways down that tunnel.

Based on signal strength read outs, the jack would not cut it where I am. The Winegard system, 100%
Old 10-12-2014, 06:27 AM   #4

I finished the install yesterday and it certainly does not pick up as many channels in the driveway at home like the winegard. However, it does pick up the major channels and does not have to be stowed, so I can deal with the compromise.

I always have the dish network mounted inside a dome, if I decide to fork out some cash.

Happy for now, taking it on the road for 2 weeks and will certainly give it a full workout.
sanfordturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:36 AM   #5

I installed a King Jack last Thursday to replace my old Winegard. Connector was full of corrosion, copper tip gone, so antenna obviously dead. Anyways my friend is here also with a brand new Ventana and regular Winegard. We both get 10 stations. I realize this is not a very conclusive test but as far as I'm concerned both of these are similar antennas. If you are clos to a large city both antennas will get the same. I do not disagree with WAX8.. who is always so objective!
Old 10-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfordturbo View Post
I forgot to lower the HDTV antenna yesterday before heading out on the open road. First set of trees overhanging the road make quick work of the antenna less than a mile from my home.

I am also in the club.... We just got our new Thor Hurricane 34j. I was really excited the first night so I decided to camp out in my d ive way... Trying all the components.. Like the tv.. Put up the antenna wtached tv for a few hours and hit the hay... Next day I noticed that I could do a little bit better parking... I have to use my across the street neighbors drive way to back in to my drive way. SO i pulled across the street and heard what i thought was a couple of little branches hit the AC unit.. I didn't like it but wasn't that concerned. Well then I back up and heard a very loud bang I got out and there it was.. The Antenna just completely broken off dangling in the tree... Not a pretty sight.. I don't know which was louder. The bang or when my wife got home from work saying what were you thinking....
bassoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:48 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yep me three! Leaving for a road trip antenna did not seat all the way and caught cable,phone,and power wires across my drive way.Thing held up well though only minor damage to bat wing. Major damage to all wires.Live and hopefully learn.Ha Ha..
Old 10-15-2014, 06:32 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I sure like my Jack with the signal finder. My old batwing was bent since it hit my RV cover while pulling out. Now ......no worries.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:41 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassoneman View Post
I am also in the club.... We just got our new Thor Hurricane 34j. ......and heard what i thought was a couple of little branches hit the AC unit.. I didn't like it but wasn't that concerned. ...
Performed a similar procedure on our maiden voyage with our new 34E Hurricane at Fort Wilderness in Disneyworld, after pulling out to leave.

Luckily, the weeping willows in the campground just made noise and didn't tear off the Winegard antenna!
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Every-time I put the antenna up I put my bright yellow potato chip bag clip on the steering wheel.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:01 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a STOP sign (Google: Antenna Saver) I put on my ignition key or wheel arm.

If you are replacing the best RV antenna ever made with a Jack,,, You have my sympathy. If you sense an improvement, Check your coax, it likely needed replacement.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #12

I use a 12in red "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" streamer attached to the steering wheel every time I set up. Before sitting in the drivers seat I start the engine, check the antenna (even if I haven't used it), bring in the slides and raise the jacks. A nail board on the drivers seat is the next step if the streamer doesn't work.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:45 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have all had mishaps with our RV's. I have learned never to move it without first doing a final walk around outside.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfordturbo View Post

Don't feel like you're the only one! My first RV I ripped the batwing off driving under a bridge - had forgot to crank it down. I have a HDTV dish roof mounted now, and am deathly afraid I'll forget to retract it sometime and will have to kiss some big bucks goodbye getting it repaired!
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna