Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry for your troubles Adam1219.

If your 2013 unit had the original slides, they lasted longer than many of that year which was the very early Schwintek's.

After 2014, the design was improved with hardened shafts, more powerful drive motors and better gear-sets.

If you got new drives in the repair, your situation would be greatly improved.

About Thor, sorry again you feel that maker is the problem. Schwintek is used in over 40 brands. Plus Power Gear has problems too and is an LCI company just like Schwintek, just much less used by the industry.

If it were me, I would be pushing for as many new-era Schwintek parts as possible in the repair. 2013 vintage bits are not worth the trouble.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2018, 05:06 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Sorry for your troubles Adam1219.

If your 2013 unit had the original slides, they lasted longer than many of that year which was the very early Schwintek's.

After 2014, the design was improved with hardened shafts, more powerful drive motors and better gear-sets.

If you got new drives in the repair, your situation would be greatly improved.

About Thor, sorry again you feel that maker is the problem. Schwintek is used in over 40 brands. Plus Power Gear has problems too and is an LCI company just like Schwintek, just much less used by the industry.

If it were me, I would be pushing for as many new-era Schwintek parts as possible in the repair. 2013 vintage bits are not worth the trouble.

Best luck
I have to say your post is one of the most positive ones I have had over my ongoing slide issue over the past 18 months. It seems you know a lot about this system and I thought you might work for them now or at one time. You have definitely given me more questions. Camping World knew I was interested in the three track system and we both know my warranty will not pay for an upgrade so they are supposed to let me know the difference in cost between making me a two track versus three track and if it's not much I want to upgrade. I hope all of my parts will be the same quality as they are installing now so here are my new questions.

1. Is it worth going from a 2 to a 3 track system?
2. If I get the newly designed system I should have different motors correct?
3. Since they are having to make it would I be correct to assume I am getting all of the newest components like they are installing now?

All I know is each time I pressed the extend/retract button I prayed, crossed my fingers and felt like I was going to puke.

This has got to be fixed once and for all.

The other day I spoke with my tech and he promised me this time it would be fixed right and he never wanted me to feel this way again when I pressed the button.

I don't think it's too much to ask. By the way over the past 18 months we have asked Thor and Lippert in writing to help and both declined.
Adam1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:53 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nope, never worked in the RV industry...career military (with lots of RV's) and now working as a Fed Agent (and still enjoying our RV's), plus helping as staff here

I am aware of these drives because they put Schwintek's on Outlaws in 2013 so I have been riding this roller coaster with our RV friends.

So sorry, but not surprised about the warranty repair request being denied. But, IMHO the early drives (2013-2014) were not really ready for the market.

The design is a great idea that is basically a rack and pinion system (simple and strong) that frees-up SO much space underneath the slide, but the roller operation is critical and early drives were too vulnerable to stress, plus owner/operators were never told how to time and sync the drives

Yes, if you can get all post-2014 drives - do it (stronger gear-sets, hardened shafts, and better motors)
Yes, if you can get triple tracks (TMC's indigenous version is called it 3TRAX) - do it (1/3 increased drive connection).

I cannot guess what they are "making" to fit the original racks, but the racks were not really changed and were never a chronic problem that I heard of.

Sounds like you have a good shop from that promise,. And being a knowledgeable customer is good too.

There are several really good YouTube videos on-line about these drives. I have watched most all. It is worth the time spent watching to know what the drive is doing and why.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-09-2018, 04:41 AM   #32

Our 30' 2015 ACE 29.3 has the 3trax system. Our slide is probably not as long and as heavy as yours, but close. The 3trax has worked well for us and others based on postings I have seen. On ours a common issue is deformation of a roller plate to the rear of the back axle. So far this has not been any problem. We use the slide a lot. I guess somewhere around 150 in/out cycles so far.

If you plan to keep the coach, the 3trax is the best choice if you are willing to spend the money.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:53 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Nope, never worked in the RV industry...career military (with lots of RV's) and now working as a Fed Agent (and still enjoying our RV's), plus helping as staff here

I am aware of these drives because they put Schwintek's on Outlaws in 2013 so I have been riding this roller coaster with our RV friends.

So sorry, but not surprised about the warranty repair request being denied. But, IMHO the early drives (2013-2014) were not really ready for the market.

The design is a great idea that is basically a rack and pinion system (simple and strong) that frees-up SO much space underneath the slide, but the roller operation is critical and early drives were too vulnerable to stress, plus owner/operators were never told how to time and sync the drives

Yes, if you can get all post-2014 drives - do it (stronger gear-sets, hardened shafts, and better motors)
Yes, if you can get triple tracks (TMC's indigenous version is called it 3TRAX) - do it (1/3 increased drive connection).

I cannot guess what they are "making" to fit the original racks, but the racks were not really changed and were never a chronic problem that I heard of.

Sounds like you have a good shop from that promise,. And being a knowledgeable customer is good too.

There are several really good YouTube videos on-line about these drives. I have watched most all. It is worth the time spent watching to know what the drive is doing and why.

Best luck
Thanks again. I have 42 months and I retire from Law Enforcement. I can't wait. If I could retire now I would. Things have changed so much.

I sure hope they put the new/best components in. I was told the reason the have to make it was due to the rack being too short or too long now I can't remember but I do know the unit was not the same height as the one installed.

At least my warranty is paying for everything except the upgrade to 3trax if I do it.

They are also replacing one of the bunk motors as the brake was giving out and the bed was lowering while driving on the driver side. If it were not for the pin that would have been a very bad issue.

I had the hydraulic jack system replaced last year and that included the auto leveling module. Most times since that install the unit would not auto level. I had to do it manually and use a large level inside. They talked Lippert into replacing the module since my warranty would not do it again stating the manufacturer need to step up on that one. Hopefully switching out the module and setting the zero will work this time. I think the module was not retaining the zero.

I have done so much to this coach. I plan on keeping it for about another 2 years then buying a Tiffin DP, 400+ HP. My wife really wants the residential full size refrigerator with ice maker. I have measured and checked everything and I could do it with this unit but it would cost me around $4,000 total (which included a lot of modifications and window removal) which I determined was not worth it.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Schwintek systems (slide-out and bunk) don't have a brake per se'.

The gear set acts like a brake - but is not intended to do that. You really need to use the pins on the bunk and a slide lock on the slide to prevent movement while driving.

These are very common issues. While it may seem like you have been personally sold a lemon, these are oddities of this system.

With the new parts...Keep the drives timed/sync'd at every use, use the lock pins and bars, and only run the drives when you have a very good charge on the house battery (like on shore or generator power, or engine running) 'cuz they are power hogs. Getting the drives out of time is the most common problem and can damage the drive and even the slide itself.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-09-2018, 04:06 PM   #35

The most important thing I read in your post,,,, 42 months to freedom. Hope you enjoy it as much as I am or maybe more, but I don't think that is possible.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:42 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Today's update

After speaking with CW I was given the number for Lippert customer service. I was told they are making the new slide-out mechanisms for my coach. It would not be the 3trax system nor would they offer it to me no matter who is paying for the parts. I was told they have a contract with Thor of which dictates what they can provide for me. I explained this was a 2013 unit and the two track system is weak at best for a full wall slide and I explained Thor was not their customer, I was. Thor has done nothing for me since I bought this coach as they have either always responded to my request negatively or ignored them. Now Thor can dictate what I can install in my coach. Wow! They called it a 2bar system and swear it is better than the original one. I hope that's true but I sure have my doubts. I just want my slide-out to work and be dependable without having a stomach ulcer. I don't think that's too much to ask.

I know in 2-3 years when we purchase our DP I will do my best to make sure the word Thor, Lippert or Schwintek appear nowhere in it if possible. I want all of my slide outs to also be hydraulic and not electric if that setup exists.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:48 PM   #37

This is such a mess. I went through a similar situation with a 2014 33sw Thor product. Multiple problems with the full wall slide. Final failure was a year ago and I took it to camping world where it was determined that the system needed to be replaced. It was a triple trax. Everyone including my extended warranty refused to help. I finally decided to trade it for a 29 ft Jayco Greyhawk and could not be happier. Single small slide, no nausea associated with hitting the slide extension button. I will never again own a Thor product or shwintec slide mechanism. I lost thousands of dollars but that is easier to live with than being stuck someplace with a slide that won't work.
bduck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:57 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry to hear they are giving you push-back on the three track system.

LCI told me (when I sought a system that was never on my model year RV) that they only sell to OEM and certified manufacturers repair centers.
https://www.lci1.com/in-wall-slide-out

They said that means I could not get the multi-plex system I wanted, but a service center could make the order (if they ordered it under the VIN of an RV with it).

That's a crap system.

If your service guy can't do that switch-a-roo for you with a three track equipped RV, then at least you can take comfort that the two track system is made with better/improved pieces.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 02-08-2019, 07:58 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Scwintech system replaced

My scwintech system has been completely replaced. The rollers were all good. Lippert had to special manufacture my system. It was ordered by part number and once it arrived it was 1 inch too short vertically. Having to make it took two months longer.

The left side bunk motor was replaced and the leveling system controller module replaced.

Not a cheap process but thank God I bought a warranty. My warranty has paid out twice what I paid for it already.

I sure hope these repairs now work until I trade up in 2-3 years.

Pu in the shop in October and got it back a couple weeks ago.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:00 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow! Amazing story.

Best luck and safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV

Tags