RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
cenfl's Avatar


 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 475
Schwintek Strikes Again!

Dinette/Sofa slide would not extend today. Coach is level and on jacks per THOR requirements. Push button, motors start, slide begins to move. After a couple seconds motors stop, slide stops after extending about an inch or so. It looked a little cockeyed, being out slightly further in the rear than in the front. Push button to retract and slide will go back to closed position.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
__________________

__________________
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
2015 Kia Soul
cenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
jones47172's Avatar
 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Floyds Knobs, Indiana
Posts: 489
Check the controller for error codes.
__________________

__________________
Mike & Sue Jones
Venetian A40, formally Palazzo 35.1
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 56
Any update on your slide?


Jimmy
__________________
Jimmy & Becki Cullipher, Stuttgart AR
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT 37'
2011 Jeep Wrangler on the Blue Ox
jcullipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:21 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
cenfl's Avatar


 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcullipher View Post
Any update on your slide?
Have the following controller error code:

"Hall signal not present: Encoder is not providing a signal. Usually a
wiring problem."

Taking it to dealer today. Will post what they find.
__________________
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
2015 Kia Soul
cenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:57 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
cenfl's Avatar


 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 475
Repair Estimate

This summarizes the repair estimate for my main slide:

Slide failure caused by sensor wiring pulling from contacts inside motor housing. This resulted in a "timing problem" and jammed the slide at the rear, damaging V-roller and gear rack. Fix requires new motor and a slide column. Total parts and labor: $1,505.49.

Service contract will pay most.
__________________
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
2015 Kia Soul
cenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:30 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 184
I'm glad they found the problem.

Damage to the wire harness has been chronicled on the forums.After the repair is complete, make sure the wires are tucked away inside the wall and not interfering with the slide. In some cases the wires are ripped out, and in others, the wires/connector are smashed causing a fault. I check mine regularly to make sure there is no interference.

You may also want to talk to service techs about the stall setting. The system should be capable of sensing the problem without causing the damage that you incurred. Regards...
streamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
cenfl's Avatar


 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamcamper View Post
I'm glad they found the problem.

Damage to the wire harness has been chronicled on the forums.After the repair is complete, make sure the wires are tucked away inside the wall and not interfering with the slide. In some cases the wires are ripped out, and in others, the wires/connector are smashed causing a fault. I check mine regularly to make sure there is no interference.

You may also want to talk to service techs about the stall setting. The system should be capable of sensing the problem without causing the damage that you incurred. Regards...
Thank you for the helpful information. However, we took a more radical approach and traded it in on a Newmar.
__________________
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
2015 Kia Soul
cenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Norm Mac's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central Massachusetts
Posts: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
Thank you for the helpful information. However, we took a more radical approach and traded it in on a Newmar.
Well, that will certainly solve the problem, won't it.

Have fun with your new Newmar.
__________________
Norm & Ellen Proud to be one of the HOOTS
2015 Newmar DutchStar 4369
If I knew retirement was so much fun, I would have done it in my twenties!
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:21 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
ChallengerRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
Thank you for the helpful information. However, we took a more radical approach and traded it in on a Newmar.

Lol. Problem solved !!

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:30 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pearl River, La.
Posts: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
Thank you for the helpful information. However, we took a more radical approach and traded it in on a Newmar.
What unit were you having problems on? You said "per Thor".
And the MOST important question: How do you like your Newmar?
__________________
Rick and Karen
2018 Berkshire XL 40C
2011 Honda CRV
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:00 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
cenfl's Avatar


 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
What unit were you having problems on? You said "per Thor".
And the MOST important question: How do you like your Newmar?
The problem coach was a 2013 Windsport 32A. The week before we were to take it to the Newmar dealer for trade in, the main slide (sofa/dinette NOT full wall) failed. In the two years we owned it several trips back to selling dealer as well as a trip to Thor service facility in Elkhart to fix things. Apparently others have had good luck with Thor, we did not. Our first motor home, did not do our homework, glad it's gone.

Just took delivery of Newmar Canyon Star and pleased so far. Much better quality materials and construction. You get what you pay for and we sure did!
__________________
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
2015 Kia Soul
cenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:01 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
tanstaafl's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North Port, Fl
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
The problem coach was a 2013 Windsport 32A. The week before we were to take it to the Newmar dealer for trade in, the main slide (sofa/dinette NOT full wall) failed. In the two years we owned it several trips back to selling dealer as well as a trip to Thor service facility in Elkhart to fix things. Apparently others have had good luck with Thor, we did not. Our first motor home, did not do our homework, glad it's gone.

Just took delivery of Newmar Canyon Star and pleased so far. Much better quality materials and construction. You get what you pay for and we sure did!
That's pretty much how we felt about our 34F Hurricane. We learned an awful lot in the 6 months we owned it, and are much happier with our Allegro.

Congratulations and best of luck with your Newmar!
__________________

__________________
Not all who wander are lost.

2014 Allegro 36LA
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Schwintek Slide Poll MutinyGuy Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 216 05-26-2017 07:49 AM
Remodel large Schwintek slide system ChallengerRN RV Systems & Appliances 3 07-10-2014 09:52 AM
Schwintek Slide Out System cenfl Thor Industries Owner's Forum 0 03-14-2014 06:22 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.