Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2016, 04:50 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
Serrano

I am looking at a 2010 and 2011 Serrano but cant find any newer models. It appears these were made by Fourwinds. Is the maxxforce engine a good engine?
w2drfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2016, 05:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I thought they were made by THOR?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I thought they were made by THOR?

Yes, Thor bought Fourwinds in 2010/2011. Production ended in about 2013 because Workhorse stopped making the chassis.
I had a 2011 Serrano 31X for 2 years and loved it.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:01 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, Thor bought Fourwinds in 2010/2011. Production ended in about 2013 because Workhorse stopped making the chassis.
I had a 2011 Serrano 31X for 2 years and loved it.
I saw some posts about the chevy chassis. I will go look it up. Thanks.
w2drfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:59 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also have Serrano 31X 2011 and it has been great. Does not need DEF which is a plus in my book.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:07 AM   #6

We have a 2012 Thor Serrano. Have had no mechanical problems. Some minor coach stuff but we love it. It's our first rv. Could have spent 3 times the $$ and not been any happier. Caravan to Az with a 5ver and a big DP, we had to get fuel every other of their stops. Kinda fun...
Old 02-07-2016, 09:25 AM   #7
HHg

I guess someone has to do it.....First go over to the Thor forum and search on the Serrano. We bought one brand spanking new.....it was without a doubt the worst RV I've ever owned. I didn't even make it home from the dealers lot before problems began.....and those problems never stopped. We were afraid to take it on trips, because everytime we did, something was going to happen. I communicated with numerous other Serrano owners and they all had problems. NOW with that being said, it's possible the previous owner or owners got all the problems taken care of and you'd be getting into a nice little coach !! "Caveat Emptor"....

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:33 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We purchased our Serrano in 2011 and it has been a fantastic MH. The computer was re-flashed once as a recall and the BCC was recalled. Both were done at no cost to us.

We just had the step problem that 100,000 other have.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:17 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Serrano has been awesome

We had our 2012 Serrano for about a year now and had it on several long trips. It gets amazing gas mileage, is very roomy, and has great power. We are th second owner. Ours has the large pass through in the back. We are bike riders and can keep three bikes inside and upright. We really think it is the best RV we have heard about, and by far the best we have owned. There are 4 things that failed on ours, and you will see that they are the source of almost all the complaints about the Serrano. If you fix these it will be bullet prof.
- the intake on the turbo comes off. You will see this is the source of almost every complaint about the Serrano. There is a factory update for it, and our mechanic drilled a screw through the clamp to double secure the tube. It has never come off again--just fix this before it happens and the RV will be awesome.
- the windshield wiper switch is cheap and will fail. The new replacement seems noticeably more solid. Again, probably worth fixing before it breaks.
- the person at Thor who picked the upholstery was having a bad day. It is a cheap fake leather and will need replacement after about 20k mikes.
- the major electrical switch (I have forgotten the name) will fail. The factory updates them for free. Again just get it replace before it fails.

It has a great layout, and is very comfortable.
V
vnorvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:52 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can you tell me where you purchased the wiper switch and part number if you have it. Also what or where is the other switch you refer to. I have not experienced any of the items you mentioned on our 2011 31X but like to be prepared. Thanks
Old 06-12-2016, 09:00 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey
The wiper switch is the entire turn signal stalk. Thor supplies it still. The comoany won't cover the cost. My RV is in our storage but when I get to it I will look for the part number.

The recalled switch is I believe called the charge control switch. There is a recall for it and Thor still replaces them for free. It's not good if it fails since you can't charge the house batteries. I sensed some urgency from Thor also, so I wondered if it was a safety issue.

Definitely replace the turbo inlet tube. Navistar has a repair kit still. It has a stronger clamp, and they have glue to connect it to the inlet. Our mechanic also drilled a couple of screws through the clamp into the turbo inlet and screwed it down. I think this fails on virtually every one of these engines. It's not really a big deal to have it replaced but it is a big problem if it pops off. You loose all power. If you go through all the discussions of this RV, I think you will find it is the source of almost all the complaints. So easy to fix too, so it is too bad. Not sure why they didn't just issue a recall.

V
vnorvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:22 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi V
The recall is for the Battery Control Center (BCC). This recall was issued over a year ago and the solution is not a replacement for the BCC you simply move one connection on the BCC. If you have not had this correction made you could loose all electrical power when driving thus stopping the engine.

Tags
serrano