Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #1

Serrano in Shop

Finally got the 2011 31x in the shop ; had to wait till after thanksgiving. I ran up a list of 25 items needing repair and the service mgr said I got the award ; 3 pages worth. Told him to give it back by dec 21st and I will return it after christmas to finish up. I will write out the list here so others can see if theirs is similar. There were other things wrong that I worked my butt off fixing that dont have to be listed.
1 front tire out of round ,2 fan clutch hitting when engaged, 3 rt front hydraulic line frayed and leaking, 4 rear wall water leak to carpet then to lower comp, 5 front roof ac compressor vibrates whole coach, 6 roof vent raise lower switch operation reversed, 6 wood floor at entrance step sinking in middle, 7 recall on outside mirror seals, 8 drivers window extremely hard to open, 9 air bed leaks down, 10 no heat from bathroom and bedroom heat vents, 11 shower door track crooked and door comes off, 12 foam in passenger seat back collapsed, 13 reefer runs off inverter when coach is unpluged instead of propane ; yes its on auto, 14 blackwater valve is not centered over comp exit hole, 15 black water valve leaks, 16 living room slide tilts pops and snags when retracting and bends outside trim when closed, 17 bedroom slide gear slips when fully closed and fully open, 18 surround speakers in living room inop, 19 antennae turn ring cut too short and slips, 20 no color on color backup camera, 21 dash air controls goofy, 22 drivers seat too high " I am 5 11 and it doesnt go low enough", 23 elect step keeps running, 24 stitching coming out of drivers seat, 25 steering wheel plastic surround falling off and key sticks in start position.
By the way , many of these thing I tried to diagnose or fix and said forget it thats what warranties are for. Others I took care of!
I'm sure the factory will balk at some , but hey we have to play the game. Also this is my 8th motorhome
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Anotherone,
Could you please post what they say about the seat being too high (6way power seat) and the fact that they mounted B/W cameras with a colour screen?
Those were some of the same issues i had noticed on ours.

Thanks
radar224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar224 View Post
Anotherone,
Could you please post what they say about the seat being too high (6way power seat) and the fact that they mounted B/W cameras with a colour screen?
Those were some of the same issues i had noticed on ours.

Thanks
yes I will ; should be interesting
Old 12-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #4

just got off the phone with the serv mgr. He said he would have it finished by mid week ; this means things are going to get blown off. He just told me the seat is engineered that way so no change. Here we go!@#$%^%$
Old 12-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is a brand new rig (2011) ..... I will refrain from comment save to say that list is way too long and a couple of those are not minor and not "OPPS" type mistakes.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The height of the seat is annoying.

I understand that they have to engineer it to the average person but for me, who is a 5'5", it's too bad that I can't enjoy all the features the seat has to offer. However, I believe that as far as lowering is concerned, the ball is in my court.

As soon as our 31V comes back from the dealer I am planning to take the seat pedestal out and have it lowered by an inch or two. The welding shop will have no issue doing this. At the same time I can create a duct for the wires inside the column. I don't like it the way the just hang from the bottom of the seat.

It will be interesting to see what they allow for repairs on your unit.
radar224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar224 View Post
The height of the seat is annoying.

I understand that they have to engineer it to the average person but for me, who is a 5'5", it's too bad that I can't enjoy all the features the seat has to offer. However, I believe that as far as lowering is concerned, the ball is in my court.

As soon as our 31V comes back from the dealer I am planning to take the seat pedestal out and have it lowered by an inch or two. The welding shop will have no issue doing this. At the same time I can create a duct for the wires inside the column. I don't like it the way the just hang from the bottom of the seat.

It will be interesting to see what they allow for repairs on your unit.
Actually you gave them too much credit. They just took an off the shelf seat base and stuck it in there ; no thought whatsoever as to height or pedal placement. I too will alter the seat base myself just like numerous other repairs I have done.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:24 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
Finally got the 2011 31x in the shop ; had to wait till after thanksgiving. I ran up a list of 25 items needing repair and the service mgr said I got the award ; 3 pages worth. Told him to give it back by dec 21st and I will return it after christmas to finish up. I will write out the list here so others can see if theirs is similar. There were other things wrong that I worked my butt off fixing that dont have to be listed.
1 front tire out of round ,2 fan clutch hitting when engaged, 3 rt front hydraulic line frayed and leaking, 4 rear wall water leak to carpet then to lower comp, 5 front roof ac compressor vibrates whole coach, 6 roof vent raise lower switch operation reversed, 6 wood floor at entrance step sinking in middle, 7 recall on outside mirror seals, 8 drivers window extremely hard to open, 9 air bed leaks down, 10 no heat from bathroom and bedroom heat vents, 11 shower door track crooked and door comes off, 12 foam in passenger seat back collapsed, 13 reefer runs off inverter when coach is unpluged instead of propane ; yes its on auto, 14 blackwater valve is not centered over comp exit hole, 15 black water valve leaks, 16 living room slide tilts pops and snags when retracting and bends outside trim when closed, 17 bedroom slide gear slips when fully closed and fully open, 18 surround speakers in living room inop, 19 antennae turn ring cut too short and slips, 20 no color on color backup camera, 21 dash air controls goofy, 22 drivers seat too high " I am 5 11 and it doesnt go low enough", 23 elect step keeps running, 24 stitching coming out of drivers seat, 25 steering wheel plastic surround falling off and key sticks in start position.
By the way , many of these thing I tried to diagnose or fix and said forget it thats what warranties are for. Others I took care of!
I'm sure the factory will balk at some , but hey we have to play the game. Also this is my 8th motorhome
Good grief...that's almost unbelievable. I hope they can get all the issues resolved for you. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Would be interested to hear the answer on your refrig running on inverter instead of propane. My guess is that the answer is because the outlet is wired to the inverter (as mine was), thus if the inverter is on, electric power is available to the refer, so it defaults to that when on automatic. (It will only go to propane if electric power is not available.)

Thor factory service discovered the same on mine, and rewired it to NOT be on the inverter.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
Would be interested to hear the answer on your refrig running on inverter instead of propane. My guess is that the answer is because the outlet is wired to the inverter (as mine was), thus if the inverter is on, electric power is available to the refer, so it defaults to that when on automatic. (It will only go to propane if electric power is not available.)

Thor factory service discovered the same on mine, and rewired it to NOT be on the inverter.
This isn't unusual at all, mine is like that. It enables those who don't want, or can't travel with the propane on (tunnels for example), and think the generator is complete overkill to run it on the inverter while on the road.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #11

continuing saga

Customer no service as clark howard would say. The dealer called and said thor notified them they dont honor warranty on second owner units. I could see that if this serrano was older but it is less than 1 yr old and we got it with 6000 mi.
Although we have a bumper to bumper extended warranty that would cover everything I believe they should have stepped up to the plate on some of these items. Some are obvious factory screwups and they dont care. I'm still calling and leaving messages and moving up the thor chain of command. The dealer said fixing the no heat issue in the rear is going to be ugly because the duct is in the floor.
Yes I know we have the ex warranty but there is a deductible and this coach is just too new for this run around. Moving right along lalalala
Old 02-02-2012, 04:40 AM   #12

My 31V was purchased used from a Camping World dealer in Akron Ohio with 1800 miles. When I had warranty problems (many of them) I was told the same thing...sorry about your luck...you are not the first owner so "NO" warranty. This may be the industry standard but now I am smarter! One thing I do know is I will never purchase another Thor MH and I will never purchase a low mileage "almost" new MH. I will buy a used model again but it will be broken in with all of these factory defects worked out. BTW, I got, what I now believe, was a BS story from the dealer as to why it was a low mileage, 1 model year old.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
My 31V was purchased used from a Camping World dealer in Akron Ohio with 1800 miles. When I had warranty problems (many of them) I was told the same thing...sorry about your luck...you are not the first owner so "NO" warranty. This may be the industry standard but now I am smarter! One thing I do know is I will never purchase another Thor MH and I will never purchase a low mileage "almost" new MH. I will buy a used model again but it will be broken in with all of these factory defects worked out. BTW, I got, what I now believe, was a BS story from the dealer as to why it was a low mileage, 1 model year old.
I'm with you about never again a thor motorhome. They have burned this bridge big time. Incredible lack of quality controll and zero customer service. The only saving grace for us is the extended warranty. One other lesson learned about used ; if you cant contact the previous owner before you buy , keep walking!

Tags
serrano