RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Serrano Instrument Cluster not working

Yesterday, we went to our storage area to start preparing for a trip we'd planned to leave on Thursday. After putting a few things in, we started to leave. As I closed the door, the step would not retract. I checked everything, and could not get it to work. It was too dark to really trouble shoot anymore, so I came back the next morning. After looking up the type of step (Coach Step), I downloaded the manual on my iPad. As I was going through the troubleshooting information, I noticed the instrument panel would not display. Now, my attention was greatly diverted from the step. I can travel with an inoperable step, but not with an inoperable instrument cluster.

Everything else up front works; AC, backup camera, light switches, etc. I can even start the engine and put the coach in gear. I've downloaded the manual for the cluster (here it is), but it says nothing about "not operable" or anything. After searching through the forums here, I figured that tomorrow, I'm going to check for a loose connector to the cluster itself, or a possible ground wire problem.

Tonight, I'm going to study up on how to use a multimeter.

Anyone else experience a problem like this?

bodycoach2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Okay, I hunted down as much as I could; connectors, grounds, etc. Everything else on the dash works, except the instrument cluster. Seeing as how the cruise control and outside thermostat never worked, I'm suspecting the instrument cluster went bad. This sux, as we were going to leave Thursday for a 12 day trip. Now, vacation is gone.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #3

what are the chances of local dealer swapping yours for a functional one until you get back. Have you called workhorse and or Thor Fourwinds?
anotherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodycoach2 View Post
Okay, I hunted down as much as I could; connectors, grounds, etc. Everything else on the dash works, except the instrument cluster. Seeing as how the cruise control and outside thermostat never worked, I'm suspecting the instrument cluster went bad. This sux, as we were going to leave Thursday for a 12 day trip. Now, vacation is gone.
bodycoach2, Remove and check the INST-BAT 5A Cluster fuse in the inside coach panel. It may not be socketed properly, may be blown or not making contact. Give it a shot.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:50 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Changed and reseated INSTA-BAT, and several others. I called Workhorse and they said it was a manufactures issue. I called Thor Motor Coach, and they said, "Hmm. I don't know what to tell you.

The Serrano is not drivable at the moment. It idles fine, but when you press the accelerator it goes putt-putt-putt. It while move, but just barely. We're having it towed to LazyDays in Seffner.

We really like the layout and features of the Serrano, but with all the problems we've had with it so far, I cannot recommend the coach due too poor quality.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So, our Serrano has been out of commission a full month, and will be at least seven to ten days. All the warranty work I insisted on has been done so far, but a new Instrument Cluster has been ordered from Actia. It's really frustrating; out our summer vacation trip, and now might be out for Labor Day family trip.

Thor responded to the problems pretty quick, and sent a rep down to oversee the warranty work. But, it's taking so freaking long. With all that's needed to be done, I'm asking Thor for a year extension on the warranty. If we can't get it, we're selling the coach.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have our Serrano back. Most of the issues were resolved. I have to admit, Thor did a good job responding to issues. I know warranty work is always slower, but at least it was available.

The new instrument cluster is working, and I'm glad I downloaded the Actia manual for it. Now, I know how to change the display color. I set mine to blue. The only issue that was not resolved was the Cruise Control. It still does not work. As the Workhorse warranty is longer than the coach warranty, and I don't really use the cruise control much, we're going to take it in for repair after New Years. I'm pretty sure it's the actual switch in the turn signal handle. Everything else has been replaced.

While following me back on the way home, my wife noticed the rear lights acting funny. They all worked, but when engaged, the LED's that lit were random. It was a great concern to her, so we scheduled with Camping World in Kissimmee to have it looked at. Sure enough, there were problems; the LED boards were failing, the wiring had been set wrong (one set had been threaded so close to the heater exhaust, it could have started a fire. They fixed the issues, but it did take another two weeks. Thor kept sending the wrong lights.

Our warranty runs out tomorrow (Sept 28 2011). We'll keep the coach for awhile longer, and hope for the best. We still love the features of it. The 31z is probably the best layout and design over Overnight RV Parking, which is the subject of the podcast we've started.

We've talked to a few Elkart Indiana friends, and found that during the layoffs throughout the RV industry there, the Four Winds assembly teams were down to bear bones. The 2009, 2010, and early assembled 2011 models will probably have more warranty issues that average. Later assembled 2011's (assembled in late 2010) should have less issues, as Thor has implemented a quality control program.

I hope most of the big issues are resolved, and others that pop-up (they always do on any RV) are mostly smaller ones.

Tags
serrano