Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
We just a finished 2632mi trip. Halifax, Nova Scotia to Brampton, Ontario and back pulling a 4800lb, 04 Sebring on a Dolly. Drove west down through the US, ME, NH, VT, NY and crossed at Niagara Falls. Drove back through Ont, Que, NB, NS. Averaged 11 MPG/US gal, 13 MPG/IMP GAL. Not to shabby for 12.5 tons of machines over some moderate to very hilly terrain.
We've had our rig for one year now and are extremely happy with it. Haven't found any "What the heck were they thinking?" items.
Very happy with it's sure footedness. It doesn't blow all over the road when passing or being passed by large trucks on the highway, it's very stable. I will say that it doesn't like cracks in the road, expansion strips and such, it can be un-nerving at times.
Love the steering radius, I can drive through or into the tightest places with ease.
As for the Diesel being up front, yes, it would be noisier than a DP, I haven't driven one, but once at warmed up and at highway cruising speed the sound diminishes to an acceptable level. I haven't driven a gasser either bt I would assume the sound levels would be the same or less.
This is our first RV and DW and I are extremely pleased with our purchase. IMHO the loss of the Serrano line up is a loss for the company and the RV'ing public. In the interest of full disclosure I have not driven any other rigs but after owning this one I'm not sure I would want anything else.
Looking forward to year two.

Stewart
Stewart,

Thanks for the update on your Serrano and I am happy that you are enjoying your rig. We had the same feelings as you when it came to the ride, performance, and design of the Serrano. We would still own our Serrano if it wasn't for our engine problems, which was not a Thor issue that is why I purchased another Thor.

Happy RVing!

Jack
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2012, 05:51 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Serrano stoped being made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
Incredible bad engineering which is why they are no longer made.
Wrong, it, the EPA didn't approve the Maxxforce 7 for 2012.
Workhorse stopped making them and Thor ran out.
PatricksPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor

We just a finished 2632mi trip. Halifax, Nova Scotia to Brampton, Ontario and back pulling a 4800lb, 04 Sebring on a Dolly. Drove west down through the US, ME, NH, VT, NY and crossed at Niagara Falls. Drove back through Ont, Que, NB, NS. Averaged 11 MPG/US gal, 13 MPG/IMP GAL. Not to shabby for 12.5 tons of machines over some moderate to very hilly terrain.
We've had our rig for one year now and are extremely happy with it. Haven't found any "What the heck were they thinking?" items.
Very happy with it's sure footedness. It doesn't blow all over the road when passing or being passed by large trucks on the highway, it's very stable. I will say that it doesn't like cracks in the road, expansion strips and such, it can be un-nerving at times.
Love the steering radius, I can drive through or into the tightest places with ease.
As for the Diesel being up front, yes, it would be noisier than a DP, I haven't driven one, but once at warmed up and at highway cruising speed the sound diminishes to an acceptable level. I haven't driven a gasser either bt I would assume the sound levels would be the same or less.
This is our first RV and DW and I are extremely pleased with our purchase. IMHO the loss of the Serrano line up is a loss for the company and the RV'ing public. In the interest of full disclosure I have not driven any other rigs but after owning this one I'm not sure I would want anything else.
Looking forward to year two.

Stewart
Good to hear! Happy Trails!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricksPC View Post
X2
Old 11-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricksPC View Post
Didnt they make a contract with cummins? Cummins certainly would have worked. How about poor sales due to bad reputation and lousy customer support for coaches that were falling apart. One year and 1 second old thor says get a life and go somewhere else. I did and I wasnt alone! Used ones sit on lots now for good reason.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Didnt they make a contract with cummins? Cummins certainly would have worked. How about poor sales due to bad reputation and lousy customer support for coaches that were falling apart. One year and 1 second old thor says get a life and go somewhere else. I did and I wasnt alone! Used ones sit on lots now for good reason.
First off I am a prior Serrano owner and I have no financial interest in Thor, Navistar, Workhorse, Cummins, or any other RV supplier. I had problems with my Serrano but it was strictly engine related and Navistar did a stellar job working with me and the repair shop to get to the bottom of my problem. My problem was peculiar to my engine and to date no one else has had a similar problem.
Now after my disclaimer…I am trying not to step over the line and be accused of a personal attack but many of those who follow Serrano threads know you have a personal vendetta against Thor and the Serrano model in particular.
Thor’s warrant is no different than many other coach manufacturers. Your problem is that your dealer hid this fact from you and you did not do your due diligence. You continue to make statements that are not based on fact and you have been warned several times by the Community Admins about you attacks on Thor/Serrano.
I did a very unscientific review of the internet for Serrano’s for sale and found very few available however I did find the following;

MotoromeReviews on Jan 17, 2012 Thor Serrano Motorhome "Coach of the Year!" Class A Front Diesel RV.

Now as for the Navistar/Cummins agreement, they are initially focused on their truck market, maybe down the road the new Navistar/Cummings engine may find its way back into the motor home market. Navistar are unable to ship anymore Maxxforce engines and the workhorse chassis plant is closed. Furthermore the pilot builds for the first Cummins engine is scheduled for this month and regular production is not scheduled until next year.
“LISLE, Ill., Oct. 22, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Navistar International Corporation (NAV) today announced it has reached definitive, long-term supply agreements for heavy-duty diesel engines and emissions aftertreatment technologies with Cummins Inc. (CMI). Through these agreements, Navistar will offer the Cummins ISX15 in its International® ProStar®+, PayStar® and 9900 models. In addition, Navistar will utilize the proven Cummins Emission Solutions aftertreatment system for the company's proprietary heavy-duty big bore engines.
Navistar will begin its initial pilot builds of the International ProStar+ with the Cummins ISX15 in November 2012 with first customer shipments in December 2012. The International ProStar+ with MaxxForce 13 and the Cummins Emission Solutions SCR-based aftertreatment system will enter initial pilot production in March 2013 with regular production to begin in April 2013”.
By the Way, the technology used by Navistar was developed by the EPA and now the EPA is fining Navistar (our Government at work). Cummins took a different direction to meet EPA standards and filed suit claiming that the EPA was too lenient on Navistar.
Navistar Fined by EPA Over Technology Built With Agency June 21, 2012 Source: Bloomberg/Newsweek http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-06-21/navistar-fined-by-epa-over-technology-built-with-agency
If you have something valuable to contribute I for one would be happy to read but I am tired of your constant attempts to paint the entire Serrano model and Thor with a brush based on your personal experiences. Many of us do not share your views. I am sorry you dislike Thor and the Serrano but it is time to move on.
Happy RVing!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
First off I am a prior Serrano owner and I have no financial interest in Thor, Navistar, Workhorse, Cummins, or any other RV supplier. I had problems with my Serrano but it was strictly engine related and Navistar did a stellar job working with me and the repair shop to get to the bottom of my problem. My problem was peculiar to my engine and to date no one else has had a similar problem.
Now after my disclaimer…I am trying not to step over the line and be accused of a personal attack but many of those who follow Serrano threads know you have a personal vendetta against Thor and the Serrano model in particular.
Thor’s warrant is no different than many other coach manufacturers. Your problem is that your dealer hid this fact from you and you did not do your due diligence. You continue to make statements that are not based on fact and you have been warned several times by the Community Admins about you attacks on Thor/Serrano.
I did a very unscientific review of the internet for Serrano’s for sale and found very few available however I did find the following;

MotoromeReviews on Jan 17, 2012 Thor Serrano Motorhome "Coach of the Year!" Class A Front Diesel RV.

Now as for the Navistar/Cummins agreement, they are initially focused on their truck market, maybe down the road the new Navistar/Cummings engine may find its way back into the motor home market. Navistar are unable to ship anymore Maxxforce engines and the workhorse chassis plant is closed. Furthermore the pilot builds for the first Cummins engine is scheduled for this month and regular production is not scheduled until next year.
“LISLE, Ill., Oct. 22, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Navistar International Corporation (NAV) today announced it has reached definitive, long-term supply agreements for heavy-duty diesel engines and emissions aftertreatment technologies with Cummins Inc. (CMI). Through these agreements, Navistar will offer the Cummins ISX15 in its International® ProStar®+, PayStar® and 9900 models. In addition, Navistar will utilize the proven Cummins Emission Solutions aftertreatment system for the company's proprietary heavy-duty big bore engines.
Navistar will begin its initial pilot builds of the International ProStar+ with the Cummins ISX15 in November 2012 with first customer shipments in December 2012. The International ProStar+ with MaxxForce 13 and the Cummins Emission Solutions SCR-based aftertreatment system will enter initial pilot production in March 2013 with regular production to begin in April 2013”.
By the Way, the technology used by Navistar was developed by the EPA and now the EPA is fining Navistar (our Government at work). Cummins took a different direction to meet EPA standards and filed suit claiming that the EPA was too lenient on Navistar.
Navistar Fined by EPA Over Technology Built With Agency June 21, 2012 Source: Bloomberg/Newsweek http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-06-21/navistar-fined-by-epa-over-technology-built-with-agency
If you have something valuable to contribute I for one would be happy to read but I am tired of your constant attempts to paint the entire Serrano model and Thor with a brush based on your personal experiences. Many of us do not share your views. I am sorry you dislike Thor and the Serrano but it is time to move on.
Happy RVing!
your exactly right ; it is time to move on. Wouldnt that apply to others as well. I had no problem with my dealer and they hid nothing. Bad engineering was all it was and no quality control. Problems I and others had was poor workmanship and a lack of customer support from thor. If your issue was so wonderfully taken care of you sure dumped it in a hurry??? I actually really liked the chassis and loved the way it handled but everything above that was mickey mouse. The water leaks that would not be fixed due to bad engineering cannot be defended.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #22

Quote:
your exactly right ; it is time to move on. Wouldnt that apply to others as well. I had no problem with my dealer and they hid nothing. Bad engineering was all it was and no quality control. Problems I and others had was poor workmanship and a lack of customer support from thor. If your issue was so wonderfully taken care of you sure dumped it in a hurry??? I actually really liked the chassis and loved the way it handled but everything above that was mickey mouse. The water leaks that would not be fixed due to bad engineering cannot be defended.
I suggest that we both move along and hopefully be can meet down the road and share a meal or cold beverage some day
Old 11-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post

Happy RVing!
Like someone on our Serrano threads said, "Once you have the problems worked out, you'll have a coach you really like." I have to agree. We keep looking at other coaches, but few match up to our travel style as well as our 2010 Serrano 31Z. We're still doing some upgrades and mods (led lighting, changing out the oversized U-shape for a smaller booth dinette, solar panels, 20mm take down rifle mounted on turret for zombie apocalypse), but overall we like it.
bodycoach2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As a now 17 month owner of a 2012 Serrano, I had some persistent issues with water leaking in the front area.
I called Bill at Thor when the unit was 3 months out of warranty to tell him that the issue had surfaced again.
I was very pleased to hear his response: Don't worry about the warranty period, we will look after you. Just bring the unit to the dealer and we will take it from there.

It's at the dealer right now being repaired. They could have washed their hands off it. Instead they choose to do the right thing and stand behind their product.
radar224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #25
HHg

Serrano -RIP Thank God

I bought a new 2011 Serrano in late 2010. I've owned numerous RVs, and that unit was possessed. After talking with many other Serrano owners, I find mine was not the only one. They were all a POS. Run away as fast as you can. Sure love my 2013 Tiffin Phaeton :-)

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Have a 31V 2+ years 24K miles. Ref your expansion cracks. I put Koni Frequency Selective Damper (FSD) shocks Koni-RV
This eliminated much of the problem. These units have two large leaf springs in place of spring packs. Good for control but they fall victim to Harmonics. Const me $800 but my smile is wide.
vortex1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #27

Hello Thor owners: I have a 2010 Serrano I just bought,and must say it is a very nice coach. I had a Foretravel before this and Yes the Workmanship & quality was superior on the Foretravel,but the Serrano seems Great value and the Mileage is Great compared to all the Gas models I have had since 1975.I find a few things to be desired,but overall,very satisfied.
muffmaned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffmaned View Post
Hello Thor owners: I have a 2010 Serrano I just bought, and must say it is a very nice coach.
We like ours too. Thor didn't provide all the manuals so I've collected them here http://www.hill-family.us/serrano

I'm 13k miles out on a 7 month trip around the US.

What flavor did you get?
PatricksPC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
serrano