Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #1

Serrano RIP?

Had heard that 2012 would be the last year for this RV and when on the Thor website noted that none are available as 2013 models. Believe it had something to do with availability of the chassis.
If true, I'm wonder what that will do for resale and trade-in value. By my experience with ours, they ironed out all (or most) of the QC issues by the time the 2012 came out. Almost 10,000 miles on our 33A and no major problems and the small ones were handled under warrantly without any problems.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acemart View Post
Had heard that 2012 would be the last year for this RV and when on the Thor website noted that none are available as 2013 models. Believe it had something to do with availability of the chassis.
If true, I'm wonder what that will do for resale and trade-in value. By my experience with ours, they ironed out all (or most) of the QC issues by the time the 2012 came out. Almost 10,000 miles on our 33A and no major problems and the small ones were handled under warrantly without any problems.
as first owner you were lucky. As second owner we were not ; this week it gets traded in with 5 water leaks and a host of issues.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #3

We bought a 2012 Serrano33 and have experienced a plethora of problems. Including the door not opening from the inside while we were still at the dealers. And not opening from the outside a day later -- resulting in visits from two locksmiths and having the drill the lock out. The current trip stated out with the bedroom door falling off after the second right turn we made, and went on from there.
Sjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjane View Post
We bought a 2012 Serrano33 and have experienced a plethora of problems. Including the door not opening from the inside while we were still at the dealers. And not opening from the outside a day later -- resulting in visits from two locksmiths and having the drill the lock out. The current trip stated out with the bedroom door falling off after the second right turn we made, and went on from there.
My extended warranty co said they wouldnt fix bad engineering! Alrighty then ; trade in time.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We love our Serrano 31V. It has everything we need. We are the second owners of this coach and haven't had any issues. Really like the mileage, just completed a 500+ mile trip and averaged 11.5 MPG over moderate hilly to very hilly roads(Mt Thom, Nova Scotia, and Kellys Mt, Cape Breton, NS), towing a 04 Sebring.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
We love our Serrano 31V. It has everything we need. We are the second owners of this coach and haven't had any issues. Really like the mileage, just completed a 500+ mile trip and averaged 11.5 MPG over moderate hilly to very hilly roads(Mt Thom, Nova Scotia, and Kellys Mt, Cape Breton, NS), towing a 04 Sebring.

I agree with you on the chassis ; excellent job by workhorse.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
as first owner you were lucky. As second owner we were not ; this week it gets traded in with 5 water leaks and a host of issues.
What are you trading it in on? Hope all goes well with your next RV!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #8

We have a 31X. 12K miles. No troubles. 11mpg with a 3800lb Wrangler toad. We are fulltime and loving it.
Resale value only matters if you trade often. We are long term. And it is what it is. Maybe worth millions if it is rare?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
We have a 31X. 12K miles. No troubles. 11mpg with a 3800lb Wrangler toad. We are fulltime and loving it.
Resale value only matters if you trade often. We are long term. And it is what it is. Maybe worth millions if it is rare?
I am happy you are enjoying your Serrano!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #10

Three weeks ago, our Serrano 33 went up in flames. After the toad's engine went up in flames and wind spread them. Both vehicles were totaled. The insurance investigators have not determined the cause, and we can't either. We got out with three of our four pets, losing one cat to the fire. So, my advice after all this, is to get a fire-proof box to put any valuables in.
geminijane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Love my 33A

Yes it has had problems, but for $111K (new - OTD) it is well worth it.
Wer're getting up to 12 MPG w/a toad.
I don't need to add DEF, it has ABS brakes, it's 11.5' tall, full windshield.
Three slide, plenty of storage (136 CF) that we have not even used all the compartments.

I'd buy one (any model) from a delaer near you as you'll be back many times. Talk to - or better yet, have a experanced RV'er help you inspect it before delivery.

Most problems are easly fixed at the dealer.
PatricksPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminijane View Post
Three weeks ago, our Serrano 33 went up in flames. After the toad's engine went up in flames and wind spread them. Both vehicles were totaled. The insurance investigators have not determined the cause, and we can't either. We got out with three of our four pets, losing one cat to the fire. So, my advice after all this, is to get a fire-proof box to put any valuables in.
WOW! I'm just catching up on old posts, very sorry to read of the loss of your rig and toad, on the other hand very glad to read you all made it out ok. Any determination of the cause yet?
Old 11-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricksPC View Post
Yes it has had problems, but for $111K (new - OTD) it is well worth it.
Wer're getting up to 12 MPG w/a toad.
I don't need to add DEF, it has ABS brakes, it's 11.5' tall, full windshield.
Three slide, plenty of storage (136 CF) that we have not even used all the compartments.

I'd buy one (any model) from a delaer near you as you'll be back many times. Talk to - or better yet, have a experanced RV'er help you inspect it before delivery.

Most problems are easly fixed at the dealer.
Do not buy one used as thor absolutely gives no service to a second owner no matter how old! Most problems are not easily fixed by the dealer. Incredible bad engineering which is why they are no longer made.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
We just a finished 2632mi trip. Halifax, Nova Scotia to Brampton, Ontario and back pulling a 4800lb, 04 Sebring on a Dolly. Drove west down through the US, ME, NH, VT, NY and crossed at Niagara Falls. Drove back through Ont, Que, NB, NS. Averaged 11 MPG/US gal, 13 MPG/IMP GAL. Not to shabby for 12.5 tons of machines over some moderate to very hilly terrain.
We've had our rig for one year now and are extremely happy with it. Haven't found any "What the heck were they thinking?" items.
Very happy with it's sure footedness. It doesn't blow all over the road when passing or being passed by large trucks on the highway, it's very stable. I will say that it doesn't like cracks in the road, expansion strips and such, it can be un-nerving at times.
Love the steering radius, I can drive through or into the tightest places with ease.
As for the Diesel being up front, yes, it would be noisier than a DP, I haven't driven one, but once at warmed up and at highway cruising speed the sound diminishes to an acceptable level. I haven't driven a gasser either bt I would assume the sound levels would be the same or less.
This is our first RV and DW and I are extremely pleased with our purchase. IMHO the loss of the Serrano line up is a loss for the company and the RV'ing public. In the interest of full disclosure I have not driven any other rigs but after owning this one I'm not sure I would want anything else.
Looking forward to year two.

Stewart

Tags
serrano