Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2019, 11:19 AM   #1

Should I buy a Axis/Vegas 24.1 as my first RV?

Greetings All,

Firstly, I'm a complete rv noob ... so I'm sorry for any stupid questions.

My wife & I have decided to buy an RV, so here is my story:

Here is a list of our needs/uses... at least for now:
  • I'm a teacher and have the summers off... so lots of extended trips (2-3 weeks) usually just me and my wife. However, there might be a few times with friends (total of 4 people max... including me/wife) for shorter periods (7-10 days)
  • My wife wants to have "girls" weekend trips with 3-4 total people
  • We like to hike and I do landscape photography, so lots of park visits out west

So based on this, I started the search...
  • My first thought was to buy a class-b van, but after seeing the prices ... I decided to buy an empty B-class van (ProMaster) and customize it myself. I'm cabinet maker/furniture builder (hobby) and the only tricky part for me would be electric.
  • So I took my wife to look at some finished class b vans (Pleasure Way...) but it was a "no go" for her. The b vans were just too small for her.
  • PLAN B... after surfing the interwebs for weeks, I discovered the Axis/Vegas 24.1. The wife likes the size/layout... Not too big, yet big enough for our needs
So now I have some questions that maybe you can help me with:
  1. Would the Axis/Vegas 24.1 be a good RV for my needs?
  2. To the Axis/Vegas 24.1 owners... what are your thoughts about your rv?
  3. Are there any known issues with the Axis/Vegas 24.1?
  4. What would be your top 3 hacks/tweaks for the vehicle?
  5. Anybody have the 2019 version with the multiplex??? Any problems???

THANKS for your help!!!!

Cheers,

-jj
JJinWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #2

I have a 2017 Axis 25.2. ( Rear Slide ).
Unless the 2 extra people are kids, that can use the drop down bunk, in my opinion, its not for 4 people.

We had 1 guest on the couch for 3 nights and I felt it was crowded. The DW says it would work.
4 adults sitting around chatting is fine with me but thats it. Hand them a tent.

As far as the Motorhome, the E450 chassis with the V10 and 6 speed transmission is great.
Before this, I had a 2000 30 ft class C with the 4 speed transmission and although it rode great, like the Axis does, it was loud, underpowered and high reving going up hills, with car in tow..

The newer design is leaps and bounds better. If on cruise control, it uses engine braking, by automaticly down shifting, to help maintain speed, going down hill. We can now tow a bit bigger car and the power seems to be there, so far.

As far as storage space, its less then my old class C, but we carried to much junk anyway.

We bought it in September of 2018 and have been fulltime in it since Oct 15, 2018. No serious complaints.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:45 PM   #3

Thanks for the insights...

We are actually going to see the Axis/Vegas tomorrow (in person).

I have watched about 100 YouTube videos on the Axis/Vegas.

So it should be an exciting day!!!

Cheers,
Old 03-08-2019, 04:57 PM   #4

Personally I like the concept of the Axis / Vegas 24.1, what I don't like about it is the often poor Thor build quality, and with its short beds it is not tall people friendly, so I would never buy one. I spent a few days boondock camping next to a Vegas 24.1 a couple of years ago and spent some time talking with the owner, she was a retired school teacher, tended to travel in it solo, though often travelled with one of her sisters, and had just recently completed a 3 week trip with the sister and their 90 year old mother.

Overall compared to my coach (2002 Safari Trek 2830) I found the interior cramped, particularly the bathroom, note the neoangle shower in the Vegas is a 27 inch shower, mine is a 32 inch neo angle which is comfortable, and many larger class A's have have a 34 inch, a few even have 36 inch.

A lot depends on what you are comparing it to, I think layout wise the Axis / Vegas 24.1 is a step up over a 24 ft class B with a wet bath, and a BIG step up over a tent. I think for couples with an active outdoor lifestyle, that can live within its limited cargo carrying capacity, and relatively small water /black tank capacity it could be a good choice, though I certainly would be looking to buy a used one, and not take the big depreciation hit on a new model given the Vegas 24.1 has been out for about 5 years now with few changes.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:05 PM   #5

Newer Axis units are on the 450 chassis. So I would have guessed those units have plenty of ccc, but I don't actually know what one weighs.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:12 PM   #6

I would never consider anything made by Thor unless I wanted my coach in the shop all the time.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider View Post
Newer Axis units are on the 450 chassis. So I would have guessed those units have plenty of ccc, but I don't actually know what one weighs.

The newest 24.1 specs I find online are for the 2018 model year, these show it being on the E350 12,500 chassis with all of the 25+ ft models being on the E450 14,500 GVWR chassis. Though even the 14,500 chassis is a bit light for most sub 30 ft class A's which are typically on 18,000-20,000 GVWR chassis's these days, my 28 ft 2002 Safari Trek is on 17,000 GVWR chassis. Even the relatively small single slide Winnebago Vista 26HE class A is on a 16,000 GVWR chassis.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:12 AM   #8

This is a Thor OWNERS forum, not a Thor bashing forum.

Why are you just repeating internet gossip, having not owned one ?

Who cares about a old, out of production, Safari ?
Old 03-09-2019, 06:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
The newest 24.1 specs I find online are for the 2018 model year, these show it being on the E350 12,500 chassis with all of the 25+ ft models being on the E450 14,500 GVWR chassis. Though even the 14,500 chassis is a bit light for most sub 30 ft class A's which are typically on 18,000-20,000 GVWR chassis's these days, my 28 ft 2002 Safari Trek is on 17,000 GVWR chassis. Even the relatively small single slide Winnebago Vista 26HE class A is on a 16,000 GVWR chassis.
I just checked the Thor website... "24.1 | Ford 25'-6" Class A Gas Motorhome
FordŽ E-450 Chassis" NOT E350.

What website are you reading
Old 03-09-2019, 06:06 AM   #10

My suggestion is to look at as many options as possible. The more you actually look at and inspect various motorhomes, you will start acquiring the skills to see how they compare. And, consider buying used since this will be your first motorhome as you have to have some experience with RVs to learn what you really need and what features best fit your on the road lifestyle.

When we started our search for a MH, after many years of owning popup trailers followed by travel trailers, we did a lot of research. We ended up deciding that we wanted to find something by Newmar, Tiffin or Winnebago/Itasca based upon their quality and reputation. I also suggest taking a look at Randall Eaton's "Motorhome Comparison Guide". Although a little pricey, it has a lot of information and ratings for the different types of motorhomes.
https://rvreviews.net/motorhome-comparison-guide/
The ratings in his guide seem to line up pretty well with what you read here in the forums and elsewhere. And you have to keep in mind that there are happy owners for every brand out there. But, there are differences, even within the various lines manufactured by one company. I like a lot of Winnebago products, but really didn't care for their Vista motorhome. It's an entry level motorhome with some very good floor plans, but you can see where they cut corners to keep the price low. Again...I'd buy a higher grade used Winnebago before buying a new Vista.

I'd highly recommend looking at shorter units by Newmar or Tiffin. Both companies make a very good product and have been highly rated. There are quite few gas models available used and you'll save a lot of bucks rather than buying new. Then, if you decide to upgrade or change motorhomes, you won't take a big hit.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Take your time, do a lot of research. Good luck in your search!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:21 AM   #11

When purchasing our 3rd motorhome, we strongly considered the Axis line. Ended up with a 30' class A.

Sounds to me like the Axis is in the right general area for your planned usage. Sleeping 4 adults would depend on the adults, not my cup of tea. (But then again I don't drink much tea)

Some things to consider:

1. Buy used, saves money. After 6-12 months you will not be able to tell the difference between a new one purchased off the dealer lot and a 1-2 year old well maintained coach.

2. Will you be able to store the coach under cover, will greatly lengthen the life of your coach and reduce maintenance. 120 volt circuit available would be nice.

3, If you decide to buy new and can wait awhile, consider buying at an RV show. Usually offer big discounts at the shows.

Most of all have fun and enjoy your new rig, what ever you decide.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:07 AM   #12

Good luck with your viewing today! I think these things are a good compromise. Relatively high wheelbase/length ratio, a few thousand pounds of spare ccc, decent layouts, and a decent hitch. oh, and low overall height. Thor gets bashed all the time for quality, so that's what I would be most focused on when looking at one. I would also say to try not to let yourself get swayed by piddly stuff. To me, outdoor storage matters. An outdoor shower/speakers/TV does not. I've been surprised how much I love my large awning. I've been shocked at how useless my side view cameras are. So, I'd say to look everywhere for quality, but only pay attention to the bigger stuff when it comes to features.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:38 AM   #13

I test drove class C's, class A's and the Axis I bought. It is on a E450 chassis.

I was shopping for a newer class C and a salesman mentioned the Axis line. Being on a E450 chassis perked my interest and what attracted me to it.

The C's and Axis may have lower carrying capacity but thats part of the reason you get a better ride. That along with the independent front, coil spring, suspension make for a smooth ride.

If you need more carrying capacity, get a class A, but expect a delivery truck type, rough ride.
You can browse the thousands of posts on this site about Ford powered, class A motorhome owners, looking to smooth out the harsh ride they give you.

I'm not a fine leather, custom cabinet type of owner, so the fit and finish of the entry level Thor wasn't an issue. Things aren't falling off as I drive.

I bought a one year old one, to save a bunch of money, and knowing that the bugs were already worked out.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJinWI View Post
I just checked the Thor website... "24.1 | Ford 25'-6" Class A Gas Motorhome
FordŽ E-450 Chassis" NOT E350.

What website are you reading

I was going by information in the 2018 Brochure https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2...ch_Vegas_1.pdf

Tags
gas