Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #1

SirusXM antenna install?

Wanting to install a SirusXM antenna just in front of the FM antenna. I have a 2015 Challenger 37KT. It appears that the panel where the front shade is attached must be removed to expose the front cap. Then the wire could be ran down the A post and under the dash. Has anyone removed that panel and can you get to the front cap or roof there?
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2015, 06:41 AM   #2

I was sure hoping that someone had installed an antenna on their 2014 or 2015 Challenger. Any information on how you did yours would be great. Thank you
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:35 AM   #3

Crazy idea but it worked on our sailboat. I was going to drill through the sailboat deck to install the Sirius xm Antena and a friend mine told me just mount it to a small metal plate and stuff it in a cabinet or headliner. I'll be damned it works fine for years and never had to drill and mount it outside. You might want to plug the Antena and just see if it works inside the cabin.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:29 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
What size plate did you use in your installation? And, you don't have to have a south view for the antenna?
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:30 PM   #5

Put mine in the front cap of a daybreak believe it or not fiberglass does not really interfere with the signal. Plus I had medal up there for the mag to stick to
middleman210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:45 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by middleman210 View Post
Put mine in the front cap of a daybreak believe it or not fiberglass does not really interfere with the signal. Plus I had medal up there for the mag to stick to
X2! I put mine inside the cab above the cabinet. No drilling needed for me.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:33 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Wow Interesting. Thanks for the info. I placed mine below the windshield in the bottom of the valley where the defroster ducts are, reception was fine, and didn't need to use the mount I bought.
"The Plate"
Which I decided to save for use on the Cell Phone external antenna, and or the WiFi antenna when we finally chose one.
I've asked my benevolent Master & Command to kindly post a picture on her site of the mount.
FYI, it would be easy to make one "my S&B is empty", no garage any-more.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:39 AM   #8

Cool

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150111_080308986.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	83114

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150111_080259971.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	83115

Her are his photos.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:22 PM   #9

The plate in used was low tech as they come. It was the metal cover plate from a 2 outlet electrical box. Any old small metal plate will do. Hey it worked for me. I put it above a cabinet tucked away from view. I have a second sirius antenna mounted on the back rail of my boat that I use for sirius marine weather service. The weather data integrates weather into the radar/chart plotter so I see the big picture. if the music stops playing no big deal (it never has) but if I'm sailing offshore and my weather info is bad that's a different story. It saved my bacon more than once.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:22 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
The strongest 3M double faced tape hold mine to the top of the front cap. I removed the factory am/fm antenna. The factory antenna has a had rubber "grommet" at the bottom. I cut a small slot in that grommet for the Sirius wire. The wire then goes thru the hole in the cap that the fm antenna passes thru. Removed panel inside cabinet to access, then down the A pillar. A fish wire helps!
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:05 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I placed (double sided tape) the XM antenna on the roof on the upper left (drivers side) corner of the cap. There was already a hole drilled under the marker light base for the wires coming through from inside for the light. I drilled another hole to make room for the plug and XM antenna wire. I would have just enlarged the one hole but drilling into a hole with wires in it would have ruined those wires. I used silicone to seal the hole and base plate of the light. I ran the wire down the column and under the dash to the radio. The antenna has been there for 18 months with no issues or problems.

I really didn't want to drill any more holes in the cap but what's a guy to do? It did work OK most/some of the time with the antenna setting inside on the dash but I hate wires running everywhere. If they can be hidden then that's what I'll do. I did try other locations inside but nothing worked very well.

TeJay
Old 03-18-2015, 06:19 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
I laid the antenna against the windshield on the dash. This works 80 percent of the time but is annoying when it cuts out. Finally, I drilled a hole in the top of the front cap and ran the wire down the right windshield post. At the same time I mounted a CB antenna and GPS antenna. Silicone was used to seal the antennas. Actually, I chose a side mount for the CB with a ground planeless antenna cable.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, install