Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2014, 10:48 AM   #1

Spare Tire on Ace?

Anyone add one to a 27.1.
Need arises due to a weekend flat that was going to cost us over $700 - mostly to cover a new tire and weekend service & yes, we have both Ford & CW emergency road service. But with no spare, on a Sunday, & the nearest town being 120 miles RT - it was going to cost a mint. Anyway, we found a 'workaround' for this one instance, but it sure raised the alarm.

Do like the Roadmaster unit we saw in Redmond. Would allow us to add our bike carrier to the trailing 2" receiver too, but would have a lot (too much I think) sticking out behind the RV.

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

Would prefer to mounted one to the rear wall of the RV like we had in out CL 'C'. Maybe too much weight for the wall?

Undercarriage looks too crowded to add one there.

One possibility is inside the RV, under the bed, with some alteration of the existing storage partitions, but hesitate there a/c the added weight to the full wall slide (especially if getting a wheel too - which I would prefer).

So just curious what other 27.1 owners might be doing for a spare?
Thanks in advance!
millwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2014, 12:11 PM   #2

I carry a spare, bought a spare from a tire shop, they had a used wheel & tire for $150.00, almost new condition. I had it shrink wrapped with that thick plastic so it doesn't get anything dirty, and I store it in the back compartment of my ACE 29.2. It eats up some room in the center, but I can deal with that. I was more concerned with getting a flat somewhere out on the road where we couldn't get a replacement. Easy to get someone to come out and change your wheel / tire out on the road, much, much harder to get someone to come out with an actual tire in the size you need.
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:50 PM   #3

We also had a flat on a holiday weekend, took a while to find a tire. Now we carry an un-mounted spare. We have coach-net and they cover the cost of dispatching the tech, all we need to pay is the cost of mounting the spare on the rim if it every happens again.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3OHIO View Post
We also had a flat on a holiday weekend, took a while to find a tire. Now we carry an un-mounted spare. We have coach-net and they cover the cost of dispatching the tech, all we need to pay is the cost of mounting the spare on the rim if it every happens again.
Good for you - that's great!
We also had Coach Net prior to buying the ACE but we never had to avail ourselves of their services. Sounds like may have made big mistake in dropping it for the CW "coverage".

No room in any of our (27.1 ACE) outside bins for 19.5" tire w/wheel rim. Maybe a deflated tire only. CW roadside tele. rep. was unable to confirm if a dispatched road service would be equipped to repair a tire, or to mount a tire on a rim, could only verify they could change a tire. CW rep. said only way to dispatch some help was to pre-pay for a new tire (& I assume rim) before they would even dispatch a service. Also, due to the weekend, they would charge us for all the overages over normal working hours. Not the reassuring package we had anticipated, or thought we had paid for. Oh yeah, was disconnected several times in the attempt to speak to someone that could help us & then we'd would have to call back & start all over with the whole spiel and complete details of our situation. Don't want to have to go thru that again!

Thanks for the input!
Old 11-02-2014, 07:00 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Which axle tire are you having a flat on? We find the fronts will get an object spinning then the rear tires will pick it up. I've had spark plugs penetrate a rear like that! I would think you could plug the hole and nurse the rig a ways. Of course tread pealing or a blowout is a different story.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Steve View Post
Which axle tire are you having a flat on? We find the fronts will get an object spinning then the rear tires will pick it up. I've had spark plugs penetrate a rear like that! I would think you could plug the hole and nurse the rig a ways. Of course tread pealing or a blowout is a different story.
When we had Our flat it was on the front passenger side. I just did an oil change & lubed the chassis, while down there I looked the tires over good and noticed a pretty good chunk missing on the driver side tire. Starting to think these Goodyear G670 tires arnt the best choice!
Old 11-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Steve View Post
Weird deal & easy fix.
Flat was fnt. drvs. side - inflated all 6 tires to 90#s the day before I noticed the flat. Went out next morn - flat!
Leaving that day w/firm resv. & meeting - crawled under & around & inspected tire/wheel as best I could & not noticing any outward defects, panicked & started calling for assistance right away.

Soon became obvious this 'assist' process was going to take a very long time with all the disconnects, transfers & callbacks.

So in mean time, I jacked up the front w/lifters, inspected tire best I could & finding nothing I started inflating tire w/sm. compressor & to my surprise it somehow grabbed the rim (which I thought it would not) & it started to inflate.

It finally got up to pressure & so I soaped everything out. To my consternation I found not one leak - not even a fizzer!

Giving up but relieved, I proceeded to install the valve cap when I was shocked to feel a small venting of air from under the cap as it was being fully seated - what's going on??

I unscrewed the cap, fiddled with the valve stem & then peaked inside the cap. There, inside, was a small piece of lint balled up in the caps very end. Turns out that this tiny lint ball was ever so slightly depressing the valve stem & just enough to slowly let all the air out overnight. I simply did not notice the slight venting the day before when in haste I inflated all 6 tires. My habit is to put the cap in my pocket so as not to loose it.

Lesson to self: if putting valve cap in pocket, be darn sure to inspect the caps inside prior to screwing it on the stem.